Power Plant and Noise

From my experience those reading are believable and to be expected. I have the Alpha Labs EMI meter, non Chinese version, and I also found a major increase in EMI readings from the outlets of the P12. This is to be expected, as any amplifier is going to be producing EMI, and the P12 is an amp, among other things. Whether the increased EMI produced by the P12 is problematic to sound quality, I have no idea…

3 Likes

This question is easily answered. Ditch the meter and forget about what numbers it spewed.

Plug all of your equipment into the wall and yank your Power Plant(s). Listen.

Once you are comfortable with what you are hearing, plug everything into your Power Plant(s). Listen again.

Does this as many times as it takes for you to make up your mind. There is no illusion. The sound will present truthfully when powered by each source. The real question is, do you trust your ears to discern the difference?

4 Likes

I got the similar results with an EMI meter. The equipment is injecting EMI back into the line, like all powered equipment do.

The Powerplant’s main goal is a clean, perfect sine wave. This produces a large portion of the sonic benefit you hear, but there’s still room for improvement outside of the P20.

It doesn’t filter noise between its outlets and it doesn’t filter high frequency noise coming from your mains.

That’s why power cables feeding the P20 and between your equipment and the P20 are important. The higher the noise rejection characteristics of the power cord, the less noise makes it to the P20 and your equipment.

2 Likes

Do properly shielded power cords and interconnects stop or minimize both Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) as well as Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI)?

As for Electro Magnetic Interference that emanates from power supplies in large power amps, power plants, power stabilizers, transformers, etc. Is there a way of getting rid of that other than a good box?

Yes. The cable design affects EMI and RFI. Mind you, power cables also emit EMI. See The importance of power cable

2 Likes

I have experienced the benefits of better power cables and interconnects (analogue and digital) first hand, but was not sure of the physics. I have also noticed that some manufacturers focus on insulation that prevents the cable from acting wrong, in terms of inductance, capacitance, resistance, etc. I like @JeffofArabica point: ears are the best judge. I do trust my ears with music and nose with coffee :smile:

1 Like

Thank you JeffofArabica for a no nonsense to the point
understanding …is the power regenerator improving the
listening experience or not…noise or otherwise…

Try listening without the PS Audio regenerator the impact
of unregenerated power the loss of sound and sounstage
quality will show up in no uncertain terms…

That should settle that. Trust your ears…

Yes. The cable design affects EMI and RFI. Mind you, power cables also emit EMI. See The importance of power cable
[/quote]

Exactly…which is why I so much like my Pangea AC9SE MkIIs
and my AC14SE MkIIs …they are very well shielded that when
probed with voltage current detector …non is detected on
the cable…

Thanks Vee, oh btw any word on your BHKamp yet?

1 Like

Yep…the ears got it!! :shushing_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
just let’s not tell anybody or let the cat out of the bag…

Now wheres my java…

1 Like

Thanks, guys. My P12 is a little over two years old. My gear certainly sounds better plugged into it than into a wall outlet. I only posted those photos because I watched YouTube videos where that EMI meter was used to prove the benefits of certain line conditioners.

Since I get better sound with my P12 rather than without, is it safe to say the low EMI readings from line conditioners don’t really matter? Or low EMI measurements don’t tell the whole story?

2 Likes

It occurred to me that EMI measured signal may include a broad spectrum that does not impact the audio quality, or affect your audio equipment at all. Just a possibility.

1 Like

I wonder if installing one of those humongous BITs like an Equitech before the main electrical distribution box (a whole house BIT) would be better than the smaller ones before each source component?

2 Likes

Excellent question and idk…

It would be great to have elk chime in on this…
he has great knowledge and the demeanor to explain such…

1 Like

Leonard my P12 has also worked wonders for my system
and confirms your findings…

Perhaps the environment where other power regenrators are
employed may indeed have emi-rfi issues…that would be a
whole other ball game…

Enjoy the music and your gear
happy trails

I think you mean before the dedicated audio installation power line?My own household appliances are guilty as well :grin:

1 Like

Perhaps your coffee maker…hmm…

As a post thought …what will your P15 do for your coffee maker…
much better brew…greater flavor and taste…yum :innocent:

There you go making sense again, Mr Coffee…
My amps have really excellent power supplies and are least affected by incoming power quality.
But they still sound significantly better when powered by my P20. And there’s no logical reason they wouldn’t.
When I’ve demonstrated my P20 for audiophile friends, I’ve never had to move more than one component to the wall, to get a “wow” out of them— every time.

3 Likes

Yes Im very sensible… :shushing_face: :grinning:

1 Like

It depends. To get the maximum isolation, largest ones you can afford before each source. And single source per BIT.

BITs restrict current delivery, so should be used where large dynamic current draws won’t be an issue.

Logically, they’re best coupled with switch mode power supplies that inject tons of noise back onto the line.

1 Like