Power Plant and Voltage Conversion

Can a Power Plant P12 (as an example) convert 220V input to 110V output?
Knowing that Power Plant converts whatever input voltage into DC, and then acts as a 50Hz or 60Hz fixed “signal” amp - I would think it is possible, but I did not see it mentioned anywhere…
I currently live in the US, and own a P12, but I am thinking IF I end up moving to a 220V country in the future - would I be able to keep my DAC and headphone amps (all 110V), and let the P12 regenerate the 220V local grid power into 110V “US power” for all the components?

It can not do voltage conversion like you want.

1 Like

Why not? Once the input (110V or 220V) is converted to DC, logic dictates you could amplify a 60Hz (or 50Hz) sine wave to any voltage level you want (100V for Japan, 110V for US, 220V or 230V)…
What is the flaw in my understanding of how it works?

Regenerators are only able to vary the voltage by +/-15V. Also, frequency may also be a problem because the regenerators can only output the frequency they are receiving.

2 Likes

Nothing is impossible if you have the know-how, the parts, and tools to achieve that goal. The device as it stands, is not designed or manufactured to convert 120 into 230v or 60 into 50 Hz. So, the task involves fundamental alterations to the design. It would be great if one can do that safely and economically

1 Like

I wonder if the architecture have changed in the last few years… Have a look at this classifieds ad:

How was it possible with the P300 power conditioner, but not with the newer P12 (as an example)?

1 Like

The P300 was a very different critter.

1 Like

I would add there would be liability issues with that wide a range of adjustment. Say you’re here in the US or Canada and you start playing with the voltage and turn it up to 240 volts. What do you think would happen to whatever is hooked up to it?

1 Like

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good approximation!

I see no danger in hooking 220 volts equipment (by mistake) to 110 volts source, though…

While certainly not as dangerous it still could damage some equipment if left on for an extended period. My point was if you provide the path to do something wrong someone will follow that path.

That holds true for everything! :wink:
Does not mean we have no tube amps, because someone might plug in the wrong tube type and damage the tube or the amp…
I am not trying to be a wiseass. All I am saying is the need exists, apparently even PSAudio’s own P300 used to do that, so I was hoping it is possible also with the newer P12.

I don’t think you should take that advertisement as final confirmation that the P300 was able to convert voltage as described. Even the P300 manual describes separate models designed for different voltages.

I used to own the original P300. It was a 230V model and there was no option to change the output voltage. The frequency could be stepped up from 50Hz in 10Hz increments. In my country, power is provided as 230V at 50Hz. The P300 would default to 60Hz on switch on, so I always had to change the frequency to 50Hz for my equipment. At 60Hz I heard unwelcome hum - and I never left it on that setting to find out what would happen.

As far as I could tell, it is not even possible to change the frequency on a P12 - so as many others have said, it was simply not designed to do what you want it to do. You can buy step down transformers in most countries, but you would need to look at the frequency conversion.

3 Likes

Hi @Tonteldoos
To the best of my knowlege, current PS Audio regenerators do not convert frequency of the mains, neither by the user, nor by the device itself. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I am here to attest to the fact that the P300 absolutely can and does convert frequency. I am using mine to do precisely that, 50Hz to 60Hz. Furthermore, because a friend was using his to do that, this was the reason I bought a P300. No strange noises, nothing out of the ordinary. Just works.

1 Like

The P300 absolutely can do frequency conversion. I am converting 50Hz to 60Hz as well as 220v to 120v but that is no big deal because a step-down transformer could do the same thing. A transformer could NOT do frequency conversion however. I bought the unit to do frequency conversion first and foremost. And it works.

Hello there,

First post!

I just got an old P300 which I am using in Europe on 220v/50Hz. I have it set to output 117v/60Hz. This is a terrific feature and allows me to power a vintage US tape machine that has to run on 60Hz. I wouldn’t be able to use it without this frequency conversion feature. It is easy enough to step 220v down to 120v. It is another matter to have a 60Hz AC power frequency generated from a 50Hz AC input.

FYI, my P300 appears to be a later production model that includes features not discussed in the manual available online. It has a “Clean” feature as well as an AC phase adjustment.

My question concerns really the P3. I checked with tech support on the newer P3 unit: It won’t drop the voltage, which is not big deal. However, can it be configured to output 220v/60Hz from a 220v/50Hz input voltage?

It would be a pity to lose this feature of PS Audio Power Plants because in truth this is why I bought the P300 in the first place.

Thank you.

Mark

PS I just tried to open the P300, but the Allen head bolts were so overtightened by whoever was inside it last that my allen key gave up. I wanted to check on whether the caps were bulging. However, if it is a newer unit it may perhaps be in good shape.

1 Like

Welcome, Mark!

1 Like

My understanding is that the newer power plants can not change frequencies.