Power Plant Premier - Display Calibration

I just purchased a New Old Stock Power Plant Premier (PPP).

It does make a significant improvement to my system (ARC, Krell and Levinson equipment) enjoying very much.

I have found the output ‘adjustment’ pot on the bottom of my unit. I adjusted to 120v with my Fluke Meter.

My input voltage from Sawnee Power here in Georgia is 124.8. I have found a Service Manual online that says for units:

Serial numbers PPP-7J and earlier.

The procedure in this Service Manual does not let me adjust the input/output Display to Calibrate to match the actuals.

My unit does not adjust voltage up/down by using the Mode up/Down.

Does anyone have a later PPP Service Manual ? Or a procedure that works ?

Thanks,

Bill

Here is the Procedure in the early Service Manual.

1. With the unit in standby, press the Mode Down, Mode Up and Power Button
    (Logo) simultaneously.
  2. The 3-digit display should light up. The logo and buttons should not be backlit.
    This tells you that you are in calibration mode.
  3. The first reading on the display is the incoming voltage. To scroll to other
    readings, press the Display button. It will scroll through the readings in the
    following order:
  4. Input Voltage – Lights On: Input + Volts
  5. Output Voltage – Lights On: Diff + Volts
  6. Input Distortion – Lights On: Input + Dist %
  7. Output Distortion – Lights On: Reduct + Dist %
  8. Start with the Input Voltage Calibration.
    a. Make sure the Input + Volts Lights Are On.
    b. Use the mode up / down buttons to calibrate the reading until the reading
    matches the actual input voltage.
  9. Now Calibrate The Output Voltage.
    a. Press the Display button once.
    b. Make sure the Diff + Volts Lights Are On.
    c. Use the mode up / down buttons to calibrate the reading until the reading
    matches the actual output voltage. (NOTE regenerator is not active during
    display calibration)
  10. Distortion readings do not normally need calibration, but they can be adjusted the
    same way.
  11. Press the power button to turn the unit off.
  12. Turn unit back on in “normal” mode.

Hi wsill,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The calibration tutorial is on page 21 of the service manuals for the PPP v1 and v2 and matches exactly what you’ve posted.

It is very likely that your PPP is in failure bypass mode.

The display is measuring the incoming AC voltage and the re generator is sending it back out unchanged.

This would explain why you both cannot adjust the output voltage with the mode buttons and the trim pot.

Unfortunately the Power Plant Premier is no longer covered by warranty.

That being said we do offer a comprehensive repair package that will provide you with an entirely overhauled PPP complete with a 1 year warranty.

This package sells for a flat rate of $500.00 + shipping.

Let me know if you are interested in sending in your PPP for repair and I will get your RMA going.

Be advised that I’ll need your shipping address and the PPP’s serial number.

Also, I wanted to tell you a little about our trade in program.

We would be happy to buy the PPP from you as is against the purchase of one of our newer products.

Here is a link to the trade in program:

http://www.psaudio.com/buying-options/trade-ups/

As well, here is a link to our products page.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/

Have a look and let me know if you see anything you are interested in by reaching out to me at service@psaudio.com

Thanks and best wishes,

• Jeremy
1 Like

Jeremy,

Thanks for rev2 PPP Service Manual.

I am able to adjust the voltage output pot.

But cannot adjust using the Procedure on page 21; the Display Calibration.

I get: these lights for Input Volts.

The first reading on the display is the incoming voltage. To scroll to other
readings, press the Display button. It will scroll through the readings in the
following order:

1. Input Voltage – Lights On: Input + Volts

I do not get: The Diff light on

Now Calibrate The Output Voltage.
a. Press the Display button once.
b. Make sure the Diff + Volts Lights Are On.

Is my PPP failing ?

Should I return the NOS unit to seller?

Thanks,

Bill

What would make the PPP fail like this? User error? Voltage spike? Overload?

Wsill,

You should be able set the input voltage using the tutorial.

The calibration tutorial is for the input voltage only.

You will not see a corresponding change to the output voltage when in calibration mode.

Nor can you adjust the THD in or out.

You can adjust the output voltage in normal operation mode by measuring the output voltage with a Multi Meter and adjusting the trimpot on the bottom of the unit.

We are not sure why the Diff light does not illuminate.

If you cannot get the unit calibrated we are happy to take it in and calibrate for you at no charge.

Please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com or directly to me at jeremyb@psaudio.com and I’ll be happy to get you taken care of.

Thanks,

darrenv1070 said

What would make the PPP fail like this? User error? Voltage spike? Overload?

Hi darrenv1070,

Any one of those things can have a potential effect on the PPP’s performance.

It is a good idea to have the unit brought in for us to verify that it is calibrated and tests correctly.

This way we can be sure that the PPP is functioning per factory spec.

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Hi,

I have the 230V (GR) version, 2 same size large fans at the bottom. I guess it’s a Rev2. (SN is PPP-B0-…)
In display calibration mode when you switch to Output Voltage, I don’t have the DIFF light on either which makes me think this is an error in the manual (or maybe later/GR versions work differently compared to pre PPP-7P in calib mode). Otherwise the DIFF light is working fine in normal mode and showing the actual delta between input and output voltages.

In calibration mode, you will see very similar voltage numbers for Input and Output voltages because the regen is not working. For input V check, you tap the multimeter to the closest receptacle. For output V check, you tap the meter to one of the ouputs of PPP. You adjust the display to show the same number what you read on the multimeter.

Second part is to adjust the metal trimpot in normal operation mode to the specified voltage the PPP is made for (typically 120, 230, 240). This is higlighted on a blue sticker next to the input socket. Again, you tap the multimeter to one of the outputs of the PPP for this. This adjustment is a bit subjective. You can go with the (nominal) voltage specified by the local utility in your area or with a voltage which better fits to connected equipments if they specified with the same input voltage.
The local utilty specs are nominal values, so it’s normal to see +/- 5% difference on the incoming voltage.

Hope this helps!