PS Audio AirLens

Indeed I recall your not being a fan of USB out from a Mac Mini running as a Roon core to the MK1 DAC. But I did not realize that you ran a Mac Mini on an LPS to test with a MK2. Though maybe replacing the SMPS of a Mac Mini with an LPS does not change its USB output particularly.

Just wish the ConversDigital module in the AirLens supported HQPlayer NAA. When contacted, the response from ConversDigital was along the lines of nobody uses NAA. So that is me then. Would appreciate if you mentioned to them that a couple of your customers have asked… There was at least one other above!

1 Like

so i gave the airlens some time to burn in. and compared it to the aurender n150.

AL improved in SQ over couple weeks. the aurender i think bested it in overall sound quality. but was close.

also, i started using ethernet cable rather than Wireless. made a big difference for AL. and of course the aurender requires it.

so i am keeping the AL now…using TIDAL. do enjoy being able to listen to and audition stuff.

thanks for helpful feedback.

2 Likes

Curious as to why you are keeping the AirLens instead of Aurender then…?

1 Like

cjbreeze, What DAC do you have? The Mk2? How are you hooking up the AL to the DAC? ( I assume you have an Ethernet connection of the AL to you network. ) How do you hookup of the N150 to the DAC?

Are you keeping your N150?

good question.

i felt the SQ of airlens in my ps audio system was so close to the aurender with i2s connection to MKll dac, and connected via ethernet instead of wifi that i weighed the additional cost of the aurender. 1400 with trade in for AL…3400 for aurender n150…so i went with the AL. sent the n150 back to upscale.

3 Likes

my system is MK2 dac. BHK pre amp…and BHK 250 amp. powered with P15. also have the perfectwave SACD transport! which is amazing playing anything! played through acoustic zen crescendo mark ll speakers.

sent the N150 back to upscale. weighed the additional $2000 over the AL (with my trade in). felt the AL won with all that considered for right now. and connected via ethernet, and i2s to dac. SQ of AL improved a lot after lots of hours on it. or my feeling anyway.

if that all makes sense?

4 Likes

A perfectly rational decision.

Looking forward to your additional listening impressions…

— SEE

1 Like

cjbreeze, Thanks for explaining in more detail. As a fellow PST beta tester I fully agree that the PST is amazing. My SACDs have never sounded so good!

1 Like

Octave records zuill Bailey bach cello suites is absurdly gorgeous and pleasing!

3 Likes

My new server gave me QHplayer as an option, but I have no idea what it is! Obviously some people do use it, just not ConversDigital people.

Just looked at the website, there are quite a few manufacturers who support this software. Can run it on a server.

what server did you get?

I’ve run HQPlayer on a mac mini into a raspberry pi streamer, and it adds filters and upsampling. It’s pretty powerful.

The Pi ran RoPieee as its OS, and includes HQPlayer NAA. Not sure the airlens does.

This is the full list is below. It includes several of the R2R brands that do native DSD. Is that something to do with how HQPlayer works?

I bought an Innuos Pulsar.

Can you demonstrate HQ player to me? I have gear that can utilize it. But descriptions of it remind me of the three year process I went through to learn how to correctly setup Exact Audio Copy. I cannot go through anything like that again. Gosh no.

It is also reminiscent of running Foobar 2000 the first time. It’s like a DOS prompt. Yikes. No clues.

Or is it easy?

Two words.
Not. Easy. :exploding_head:

1 Like

See that was my guess. I figured at the very least you would have to keep a list of customized settings for each and every song you listen to, with optional settings to adjust for your current mood. And each change would be worth it.

Even with all the reboots.

I would say it’s like trying to learn the Chinese alphabet in one day and then having to write a book in Chinese before you can listen to the stereo again.

Not impossible but close.

1 Like

HQPlayer filter and upsampling settings aren’t too hard, and once you’ve found the filter you like, you don’t much need to fuss.

But it’s the initial setup that causes ulcers.

WHAT AM I MISSING? WHY NO SOUND?

and then at some point, after futzing with IP addresses and zones in the roon audio tab and settings on the Pi’s web interface, whatever conflict you had is mysteriously resolved and you have sound, and it sounds good, but you don’t really know how you got there.

(You do need to know what your DAC/cables/connections can handle, tho… like, if you’re going AES/EBU, DSD 256 ain’t gonna happen.)

2 Likes

That’s my nightmare scenario (of which I got a small taste when setting up my Holo Red DDC/streamer, which is winging its way to PSA as my trade-in for the AirLens later today).

1 Like

I am glad to see some of these comments by you guys who appear to have some experience with servers and streamers. I started this stuff less than a year ago. I sort of have my server working, but I am really fearful of trying to get a streamer working. Streaming makes installing a cartridge on a tonearm look like child’s play.

2 Likes

We are long term HQPlayer users, and really like what it did, once we put BACCH4MAC in our system we haven’t looked back ever.

HQPlayer offered us some sonic improvement, but BACCH is considerably better in every way.

Just our thoughts,
Steve08226

3 Likes