PS Audio AirLens

Fidelium. The frequency is irrelevant. You wire the modem the ISP gives you to the Orbi base station, then connect the satellites to the base.

The modem from Fidelium does have a wireless network, but I have it shut off and not using it.

1 Like

I actually disconnected the antenna(s) in my ISP provided router because they kept turning the wireless back on :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Which wifi extender with ports did you purchase? I need a good one where I don’t have wired access. Thanks

I am using this one. It works great and is silly easy to set up.

Click

1 Like

I would highly recommend not using these things and invest in one of the latest mesh packages like Google Nest Wifi Pro, Netgear Orbi 960, etc. The reason for this…

An extender looks like a “client” to the wifi network and then bridges the wired ports onto the wireless network. Because it is a client it’s competing for bandwidth with every other device on your network as well as channel usage with all wifi signals in the area. They make the wifi signal stronger but they don’t increase capacity on the network.

A mesh system uses dedicated channels for the backhaul. The system is still competing for channel usage with all wifi signals in the area but it will constantly adjust that channel usage to find clear airspace. It will balance the backhaul need with the needs of the clients. In this way you are increasing capacity on the wifi network when you use a mesh system. Additionally, the wired ports on these mesh networks use the dedicated backhaul channels so you get a lot more bandwidth across the mesh for the wired ports than an extender can give you.

11 Likes

Great info. Thanks

Let me get back to you after I try it. I will tell you it is made by Netgear the same company that does Orbi.

I can confirm what Elk says, but for it to work well you need a wall socket that is about for feet from the floor where you plan to use it.

Thank you for the detailed information. I live out in the bush and have only Starlink for internet access which is limited to about 150mbps download and 25mbps upload.
It’s also just my wife and I using the network. I have a mostly wired CAT5e network system that I had installed when the house was built 15 years ago. So the network load is minimal. Would the mesh system still be of benefit in your opinion vs a lower cost extender?

1 Like

If you have cat5e everywhere why not use that?

1 Like

Might have been a missed in translation thing… but where I need a wired connection there is no wired outlet in the living room.

I have study enough in the last 48 hours to sort of understand what you are saying. :roll_eyes: We are certainly going to be mindful of that as we proceed. Right now we are low use. On our WiFi there is only our two PC’s and her phone, We have the smart TV on an Ethernet cable and its WiFi is turned off. The main additi0on will be my wife streaming while she is in the main room of the house using either her laptop or her phone.

When I go to the main room of the house to listen to music I close my laptop and then play vinyl, SACD’s or I hope to be able to play selection from my NAS music server. That will be low WiFi usage of me using a tablet to select what I want to play.

Fortunately our house is somewhat isolated and I seldom see the WiFi signal from our nearest neighbor when I reconnect my laptop to the WiFi.

If the thing does not work for me I have 30 days to return. It is suppose to arrive today and I will keep this thread posted on how good it does.

2 Likes

ahhhh… ok I get it now.

Yes, mesh would benefit you. However, being out as far as you are there is a real good chance, as far as wifi spectrum goes, you’re only competing with yourself. The wifi extenders are so cheap I’d probably start with that and if you run into problems move to the mesh. There is a good chance it will “just work”.

If you want a “project” and with the right wifi router / access point… You can manually configure things to do, basically, what the mesh automagically does. What I would do if I didn’t want the expense of mesh but similar performance…

• Configure a wifi network (SSID) dedicated to the extender, will call this network ext
  • Put ext on a dedicated / clean, as wide as possible, channel in the 5Ghz (or 6Ghz if your gear supports it) range
  • bridge ext to the other wifi / wired network at the router

This gives you a dedicated, high bandwidth, “network” for the extender.

An “easy” way to do the above, and all wifi gear will support this, is put the extender on the 5Ghz network and other devices on 2.4. That will make the 2.4 devices slower but open more bandwidth for the extender.

1 Like

That makes sense. I have 2 separate 5 GHz channels on my Netgear Nighthawk router which I’ve configured as a switch and wifi access point as the Starlink system has its own router.
I’ll consider the inexpensive solution first but if the mesh system gives me better latency, bandwidth and coverage for all my wireless devices I might just ante up for that.

1 Like

If you can… get the Ethernet adapter for the Starlink system and wire it to your router.

1 Like

Thanks, I have the 1st generation of the components which has it built in. I’m wired to my home network.

2 Likes

Orbi mesh works great in my house. In the past I have used an extender. When I was watching Netflix, my wife watching YouTube, and my daughter taking classes online, the drop off happened often. We have 7 Apple devices that are on all the time. I do stream and purchase download often too, in my case mesh network is well worth it.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @RsZk!

2 Likes

Orbi (Netgear) here. Router + two sats.

I’ve considered Ubiquiti but this Orbi system offers immense Wi-Fi throughput.

In fact, a non-wired Bluesound Node works flawlessly with the mesh system. I predict the AirLens Wi-Fi will be fantastic.

1 Like

Thank you! 1 more year till early retirement is an option! :nerd_face:

3 Likes