PS Audio AirLens

Innuos Zen Mk3 can handle native DSD. Was implemented a couple of years ago. Works for me.

1 Like

That’s good to know. Thanks

I was speaking about myself. Enough said.

I too have asked this a couple of times…

2 Likes

I didn’t get an answer the first time I asked. I assume you didn’t either. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nope. Missed opportunity on psa’s part I think :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you already have a Matrix you don’t need an AirLens unless it does a better job of converting to I2S. The Matrix does this for you now and can do that for you in the future.

To make certain there is no confusion, the Matrix converts USB to I2S while the AirLens converts Ethernet to I2S It’s not the same but the end results will be very similar in my opinion. The AirLens may sound better, time will tell.

4 Likes

I want to remove my PC from the mix and have the AirLens get my files from the NAS and then into the DAC/Roon via I2S and then just use my tablet for selection.

Currently I have a PC with Matrix Element H USB card, then to the Matrix S-PDIF X and then into the DAC via I2S.

I know all that. I am hoping AirLens does a better job. Otherwise I will keep Matrix but I will still need to upgrade my streamer. The mini is good but the weakest link in my setup. Paul implied somewhere earlier that AirLens might sound better than an Innuos. I hope he is right.

1 Like

I think you meant Ethernet to I2S.

1 Like

Small correction which I know you already know, Al - Ethernet to I2S. :slightly_smiling_face: And as to efficacy, in my case I’d gladly get rid of the Sonore + Matrix + two separate linear power supplies for a single box solution that works as well or better - assuming I’ll be able to get mConnectHD or something like it (he!!, even LMS!) to see the AL.

That should be easy. If your files are stored on the NAS then Roon can easily be controlled via tablet and you go over the network to the AirLens and its I2S output straight into your DAC.

However, Roon requires a computer.

3 Likes

There are no plans to include software. The AirLens is a standalone product.

2 Likes

Hi @Paul,

if I may ask (not obvious to me even if many already know the answer) why did you choose the ethernet input for the AirLens vs USB? And why not both of them?

You are using in your room an Innuos ZENith, as I’m doing, which is in your opinion the correct way (connection path and functionality I mean) to keep it in the chain in future together with the AirLens, to achieve the best sound quality?

Thank you.

This thread seems to have become really long and people asking basic questions.

In the interest of clarity, I’ve summarized below everything we know about the upcoming AirLens. Maybe the moderator can pin this to the top so that it’s seen by everyone new and avoid speculation and arguments about its use. But most importantly, hopefully avoid unnecessary heartburn for @aangen :grinning:

(Thanks to @vkennedy61, @aangen and @Interested for their informative posts that I consulted and for @vkennedy61’s initial review of this summary.)

I will keep updating this post as new details emerge.

Summary:
AirLens will be mainly a network bridge that takes a data stream from wifi or wired Ethernet and outputs a data stream to a DAC via I2S or Coax. It will galvanically isolate the input and output signals.

According to @Paul, “The main benefits of the AirLens are two fold: its complete galvanic isolation as well as Digital Lens outputting jitter free data.”

It will:

• Cost around USD2k.
  • Support input and output data streams in DSD up to DSD256, DXD, PCM up to 352kHz, and MQA unfolding up to 352.
  • Be a Roon endpoint; that is, the input data stream can be in RAAT format; you’ll need something else to be the Roon server (like Nucleus, Mac OS/Windows/Linux machine running Roon core, NUC running ROCK etc.).
  • Have an internal power supply; there is no option for an external PSU.

It will not:

• Be a network streamer; that is, it won’t stream directly from Qobuz/Tidal/Spotify etc.; you’ll need something else like a Roon server/machine running Audirvana/JRiver etc. to provide to the AL the data stream from such services.
  • Have an app to manage your music or serve it to the DAC.
  • Be Roon server (see above).
  • Support Airplay/Bluetooth/Chromecast.
  • Rip CDs, have inbuilt storage, ability to plug in an external drive, support Dirac or multichannel audio.

It will accept the input data stream through:

• RJ45 Ethernet
  • Wi-Fi

It will output the data stream through:

• I2S
  • Coax SPDIF

In the PS Audio ecosystem, the optimal signal chain would be:
Your favorite network source → AL (via Ethernet input) → DS DAC (via i2s input) → your favorite preamp.

Because of galvanic isolation, Ethernet input and i2s output, it removes any need for USB reclockers, DDCs etc from the signal path.

For further reading, here are some informative posts in this thread:

The last known sighting of the AL showed it to look like this. Although it will most likely look like the rest of the PerfectWave series when It’s released.

19 Likes

I think Paul answered that further up in the thread (and I know… lots of posts since so not easy to find). The answer was that no matter what you do, USB is noisy, so having a USB input would compromise the sound quality (and the design principal from what I understand) of the AirLens.

Hence ethernet (or wireless) in only and i2S out only.

1 Like

thanks @shankha!

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: Squeezelite is open source firmware for streamer endpoints - potentially perfect* for something like the AL as an alternative to the DLNA client firmware, and allows it to be an endpoint for LMS music servers.

* dependent on what hardware platform the AL is using.

AL is NOT a “streamer” though, in the technical sense - AFAIK.

1 Like

Edited for more clarity, thanks for the heads-up :slight_smile:

ps I know it’s way too late for the AL now, it would have to have been addressed early in design stage as an alt. firmware.

Different approach would be for PSA to publish the hardware details / platform details of the AL in case someone in the Squeezlite / LMS world wants to port it.
Again, prob not something that will happen for a few reasons.

1 Like