PS Audio and GaN-based Class D

An excellent performer in my experience:

FYI.

I demoed a pair for a while. Detailed, quick, clean, but the sound, especially in the lower registers, just seemed too thin to me. I much preferred listening to music with my BHK Signature 250. Just an opinion, and I can see where others might prefer the AGD sound. And they are really cool looking!

1 Like

I’m a Schill for Orchard Audio. It’s purely Leo’s design using two GaN Systems (Ottawa, Canada Eh!) chips for 500WPC@4ohms, 250@8, and 125@16 for the Zu folks. You cab drive ANYTHING with these Amps including the old Infinity’s down to 0.5 ohms.

More importantly is the sound and why I sold my PS Audio M700’s a while back. Feed a nice Tube Preamp into it and it’s pure joy. I fool EVERYONE that comes into my house and listens to my rig.

Under the Hood. Dual Mono except for the AC Cord.

4 Likes

Nice neat job too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Give us gan fets!

1 Like

Participated in the SHMF Starkrimson Stereo Ultra Amp “Tour” offered by Leo (Orchard Audio) this past June, see my review here: ( Orchard Audio Starkrimson Stereo Ultra Amp Tour! | Steve Hoffman Music Forums )!

Have the dual mono supplies + the additional 28,200uf/per ch. configuration (just like your pic) on order with an August delivery!

Ted

1 Like

@Theo Very cool. Glad you like how they sound. So many have already been changing out their big beefy Amps with the Ultra’s with no buyers remorse.

1 Like

As I described above, I had the AGD monoblocks in my system for a while and didn’t feel that the mid bass/bass was where I needed it to be. The BHK Signature 250 was much fuller in the lower registers. Right now I am using a McGary Audio SA-1E in that system and everything is right with the world. The speakers are QLN Prestige Ones. In another system, with Magnepan 3.7i’s, I’m really happy with a pair of BHK Signature 300’s.

1 Like

Anxiously awaiting to Hear what the “Dual Mono” + additional “28,200uf per channel” will add to the sonics!! :slight_smile:

Ted

Have had music playing through the new amp these past 4 days! To my ears and in my setup, the option of the dual mono channel power supplies have added more solidity and weight to the bass response, with total overall bandwidth effortless headroom in micro/macro dynamics. The additional 28.2K uF per/ch has created even more accurate and articulate transient timbre/tonality to the realism of instruments, strings, and vocals! With the system totally disappearing, find myself more involved in the live 3D soundstage presentation with the music’s emotional connections!!

1 Like

PSA should hire Bruno Putzey and Lars Rizbro for their next BHK line…BPLR line

Bringing this “Class-D GaNFET” topic back into the foreground! Found “Ask Paul’s” 5-27-23 comments about “scary new solid state designs” (1:55 mark) Tube preamp life - YouTube Very Interesting! His emotional inflection seems to indicate surprised sonic revelations that could become future SS circuit topologies! Paul, could your reference be related to the new GaNFET (vs MOSFET) amp circuit designs??? :thinking: Ted