PS Audio CD memory player storing the ripped file...

there are so many audiophile digital music players out there!!!

.some rip CDs, others just play your files from your external hard drive, and others demand that you store internally on their internal drive, and Bryston Bdp2 doesn’t even include the internal drive! You have to buy one …and then send it back for them to warranty install!

Question: since my PS Audio memory player already has an excellent ripped memory file from playing each dics, can there be any way to take that file …and not just play it once and dump the file…but store it on a HDD?.. On an outboard external drive?

I want to have a good high end music player with the PSAudio ripped memory file as a permenant digital file?..

For simple audiophile music player of my stored music files…so far the nicest one I have found is a Polish company…Diamond Music Server, Amare musica, simple and refined…

Paul has been tweeting the Mac mini with great success as well.

…any thoughts on a PSAudio music server from the ripped file of the cd transport…or an I way off?

The PWT only stores about 30 seconds of audio.

Plus there is not anyway of retrieving the information that I am aware of.

Interesting thoughts though.

if PWT became also a ripper and “server/player” it could sure give life to a somewhat tired beast. The PWT/PWD stack has always looked beautiful. given today’s prices for similar products under $3K it needs to be tweaked to match it’s PWD sibling.

dcuscela said . . . others demand that you store internally on their internal drive, and Bryston Bdp2 doesn't even include the internal drive! You have to buy one ..and then send it back for them to warranty install!
Just a bit of clarification: The Bryston plays files of off a portable USB flashdrive, any external USB drive, as well as external eSATA. The USB flashdrive is particularly nice when someone visits and they would like to play a file.

You can install an internal SSD if you choose. It is offered only because some users demanded the option. The installation is brainlessly easy, does not void the warranty, and Bryston even offers a YouTube video on how to do it (take off cover, plug in, screw in mounting screws).

It would be nice if the PWT would stream/store its ripped file. I do not know of any way to capture it.

The functionality of my system would be nearly complete if the PWT would rip files to a hard drive or NAS. And, I suggest that PWT sales would get quite a boost with this added feature

Maybe this is one for the suggestion box? What say you, Mr. McGowan – any PWT tweaks in the works?

Regards,

Scott

PS for the Moderator:

Maybe I missed it, but what about a general “suggestion box” thread – just a suggestion.smile

SEE

We have a suggestions thread for the PWT - click.

Of course, if you have suggestions for other products please add to the existing suggestions thread or start your own. We like discussing such things. :)

Elk said We have a suggestions thread for the PWT - click...
Yep, I missed it...

Very easy to do.

Paul actively reads the forum and is definitely interested in user’s ideas.

It’s a great idea. If only it were easy enough to pull off. The current platform for the PWT is an FPGA and the programming in it took several years. Not easy. To make it do something else, like rip and connect to hard drives like a server means, basically, we have to throw out the FPGA and go to a small single board computer inside and start over. The task is a big one.

While I agree it’d be a great thing to do and I’d like it myself, it’s not currently on the engineering schedule but probably should be.

Paul McGowan said ...To make it do something else, like rip and connect to hard drives like a server means, basically, we have to throw out the FPGA and go to a small single board computer inside and start over. The task is a big one...
Thank you, Paul.

I am not terribly technically inclined (ignorant enough to be dangerous), but I would not want the ripping capability to lessen the “rightness” of the PWT. I assume the current “computing” approach (i.e, FPGA) has a lot to do with what makes the PWT a great performer now.

I look forward to continuing to follow your development of new and improved products.

Best Regards.

There is both software and hardware that will capture and save the datastream from the PWT in real time as it is sent from its outputs.

I personally would not bother as this would be slow and the resulting file would be bit-identical to the output of EAC or dBpoweramp.

Elk said There is both software and hardware that will capture and save the datastream from the PWT in real time as it is sent from its outputs...
For example..?

I am looking to add the PWT to my system and would like to use it to rip files to a storage medium and as a primary source. I still like to sit and listen to those shiny little albums.

Thanks.

Any computer based recording software will do this (SoundForge, etc.) as well as any stand alone digital recording device such as Tascam’s offerings.

Thank you all for helping to develop this…so since the PWT is outputting the digital file to the DAC in a bit perfect stream, we need to leave the PWT as is…so don’t mess with anything “inside the PWT” …but add another “box” to capture the digital music data on its way out.

that would leave the PWT function untouched…but …? can PSAudio consider engineering a physical device to pick up that digital music data stream, and store it…it seems it is already on its way to the DAC in bit perfect form for immediate listening, so why not capture it to a storage device.?

I do not speak for PS Audio in any way, but this is not a market I would tackle. They are dozens of physical devices and software programs which will capture a digital stream, including free software such as Audacity.

Recording the PWT’s output also defeats one of the major benefit of the PWT; a very low jitter datastream. Once you record this data, the playback is only as good as the device you are now using to play the recording.

^^I must be “looking for love in all the wrong places”. Would you mind naming a couple of “physical devices” that will capture a digital stream from the PWT for storage and retrieval with the PS Audio DACs?

If I can find the right box, this may very well be the next addition to my system.

Regards.

Any computer will do it, although you may need to add a card to accept one of the PWT output types. For example, if you want to capture the S/PDIF datastream via coax you may need to buy a card with an S/PDIF input.

Another option is a dedicated, stand alone unit such as the Tascam DA-3000 (a magnificent ADC/DAC with excellent sound and more digital connectivity than an audiophile will ever need).

Just start digging and you will find many options.

If you need lots of specific help, I suggest Computer Audiophile.

One question is whether the resulting file would be any more accurate, or as accurate, as the files ripped using, for example, a PC with dBpoweramp (also coming to the Mac). That doesn’t get you your all-in-one device but once you start talking about using an external device to capture the stream from the PWT you’ve already given up on that. Programs like this can read the disc multiple times (like the PWT) and compare check-sums (unlike the PWT) to make sure the rip is bit-perfect (or at least agrees with other people’s rips).

The resulting file would be no more accurate than using EAC or dBpoweramp on a stand alone computer to rip the file. The PWT uses EAC as well.

A potential benefit of a computer ripping program is if you have bad disc with a manufacturing defect, if you use AccurateRip you will know your rip does not conform with others. This does not make the computer any more accurate, but puts you on notice of a problem. The PWT does not do this.

The real benefits of the PWT are its ability to output I2S and also a very lower jitter datastream.