PS Audio Forum Web Site Suggestions

I’m happy with the new look, and find the layout easy to read and navigate.

Has the use of the page by the forum software changed for you? It appears to me to be the same as previously, before the recent modifications.

I get through the forum posts very quickly, and I read every post.

I try to do this, not always successfully, but it is still a By-Our-Lady nuisance. I have suggested before that the header drop-down be activated by a click, and not by the mouseover event which is causing the trouble.

2 Likes

Thanks. One vote up!

I find it easy to avoid, but I suspect we all have different mousing habits. I do not have any need for my cursor to be that high while reading and posting.

And, for me, what we are seeing is typical ribbon behavior so I am not surprised by it.

I would not have any objection to the behavior to be changed from mouse-over to deliberate selection however.

Spot on. Doesn’t matter how carefully one does this as soon as the mouse gets close to a heading at the top of the page… Down it falls.
It is a NUISANCE, needn’t be. Just revert to clicking the mouse on said headings.

5 Likes

As the layout is so inefficient, most of screen being white space, I doubt I read much of the content of a thread as so much scrolling is involved, and it is so difficult to see who is responding to what.

It was bad enough before. Now, if you go to the end of a thread, which is where I go as it has the most recent content, the lower half of the screen is taken up by “Suggested topics” and a load of other stuff that should not be there, and then if you move the mouse too ar I get the same problem as @dirk, losing the top of the screen as well to a drop-down banner.

Basically, I get very little content on a screen and it is very difficult to read in context, so I don’t bother.

Just about every other forum I’ve ever been to gets far more information on a page. The only forum I’ve seen that uses the same software is Roon Labs Community, and their footer is smaller and they don’t have drop-down banners.

If. like me, you use different tabs for different browser windows, you can’t avoid moving the mouse to the top of the screen. So if you are on another tab and you click on the PS Audio Forum tab, as soon as you move the mouse the banner comes down. It’s unavoidable.

Again, has there been any change to the layout? It appears the same to me as before, as are the Suggested Topics.

Clicking on a topic should go to your next unread post, again as before, and thus Suggested Topics will not appear unless the last read post is small enough to allow some or all Suggested Topics to display.

None of this is new.

The Roon Labs Community you mention uses the same amount of white space displaying their threads and includes the same Suggested Topics, displaying five threads of potential interest - just like this website. (My cynical evil twin Ricky observes it is highly unlikely you have posted these complaints on the Roon Forum, even though they use the same software and format . . . )

At least on my browsers, mousing up to a tab activates the ribbon drop down as I mouse over, but the tabs for other websites remain unmolested and can be easily chosen.

Elk, Yup, that’s my experience too. I’m on a Macbook with Safari.

1 Like

I also use a Mac and this forum looks exactly the same to me too. There has been no change on my end. Auralic also uses the same forum layout too.

2 Likes

Agreed! And for me at random times it seems to get “stuck” and remain there for several seconds regardless of how I reposition the cursor.

The new website seems to have ended up tilting towards “slick” rather than basic functionality.

Just one man’s preference, of course, but I absolutely hate “mystery meat” navigation where s**t pops up as a result of a mouse over instead of requiring a definitive action (a.k.a. a “click”) to drill down to further levels.

2 Likes

Do you not see a line under the topic headings? If you stay below this line, the drop down does not trigger.

At least on my browsers the trigger location is very precise. If this line is not displayed on your browser I can understand the sense the trigger is random.

I have the feeling folks are talking past one another based on what the site is being viewed on. I have all of the stated issues on my primary means of viewing and posting, which is an iPad Pro. On a desktop or laptop, not so much.

1 Like

Are you using Safari on your iPad Pro? The forum looks the same to me on my iPad Pro and my 27" iMac. I am not seeing all that wasted space that Steven showed above on the forum or the regular PS Audio website. Are you guys using Google Chrome by chance?

I think Beef makes a good point that with all the various servers, OS’s, browsers, etc., it’s never going to fit everyone’s ideal situation.

I really do like the new layout however.

Still wonder if Paul is still the PS photographer.

Safari. The new site is a fair bit less broken (for me, in My Setup) than it was initially, but lately there have been new wrinkles like the dropdown top thing. I also suspect some of it may have to do with the many different ways one can navigate on a touchscreen device vs. a mouse-based thing or…etc.

I’m certainly not going to discount the possibility that some wierdness is due to the fancy iPad keyboard I got to replace my beat-to-death one, which has a trackpad built into it. I’m so used to navigating by touching the iPad’s screen from years of habit, that the touchpad on the keyboard is more in the way and a problem rather than a bonus. I find I randomly trigger things because my thumbs hit it when typing. The cursor will suddenly jump somewhere else - because I didn’t realize I’d touched the trackpad. Annoying!

So, taken with that grain of salt, I’d say that even when I’m careful, things don’t work as expected. One new oddity is that if I try to edit this text in the entry box (the bordered area in the lower left one types in when creating a post) by tapping where I want to select something, it is often off by a couple of lines. You can correct for this by literally tapping two lines below where you want to select. This is I suppose where I should learn to use the trackpad…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes, precisely why I ask for what people are viewing the forum on and what do they see - such as whether there is a line on the top of the page which triggers the drop down.

I can appreciate that. I have one of those fancy (overpriced) keyboards too.

Well that is certainly important to sort out.

If you only navigate and trigger the Web Pages via precise and traditional means such as a mouse with a constantly present onscreen cursor - that tells you some things. Which these days, is perhaps a tiny subset of Users given how many are accessing it Globally on multiple manufacturer’s phone and tablet platforms, which use a bunch of other forms of input. Primarily fingers on screens.

This has SO inspired a Million Dollar Idea :cowboy_hat_face::

2 Likes

Yes, it can make a substantial difference what platform a member is using.

As a pure guess, the drop-down menu is bothering phone and iPad users the most.

In the past, we have experienced push back from non-phone users for changes made to assist those who browse on a phone–but I doubt anyone has any objection to the drop down menu disappearing if this is what PS Audio decides to do.