PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

Found Miniserver very reliable, running on a QNAP. It’s only weakness was lack of differential indexing.

Yup, exactly, I’ve been using Minimserver for 4+ years.

Only cpus in the setup are in my NAS (Synology DS412+) and the renderer (now Bridge, was Sonore Rendu - the original ethernet-to-SPDIF box)

My Minimserver was run on a QNAP TS-451, very modest processing power, streaming locally stored files up to 24/192. No problems at all as it is not doing anything heavy like sampling or filtering. Just file management. That’s why its very popular.

Minimserver is king😎

I’d strongly encourage any other Minimserver users in the Forum to donate to support Minimserver development, if they are not already doing so.

Hi folks,

This is my first post so be gentle. I have read most of this server thread and would like some clarifications. I currently have a DIY Roon ROCK and am very interested about the future PSA server. Can anyone let me know if the following is correct?

Octave (OS + the music software) is the software as is Roon (OS + music software);

Octave will run on its own server which will include a ripper and mass storage while Roon runs on ROCK, Nucleus and Nucleus +.

Bridge III will run Octave and be mated with DSS – does this mean that the DSS can actually be the server and there would not be a need to purchase the complete PSA server (the one with the mass storage and ripper)?

What happens to the Sprout100? I currently have it connected to a BlueSound Node 2I which acts as the end point for Roon. The Sprout sounds great paired with Harbeth P3s! Is PSA planning some type of PSA endpoint (maybe similar to micrendu) so a product like the Sprout100 can connect to the PSA server? The same seems to apply to the GCD (since it has no streaming capability). Will the initial PSA server only work with the DSS/DSJ with a Bridge II/III card?

Since this is my first post I would like to say many thanks to Paul for all the info he provides. I have never interacted with a company where the CEO is so welcoming and helpful. The Ask Paul videos have taught me much about audio – keep them coming!

BTW: I am waiting on delivery of the DSS with the Bridge II along with the SGCD (to use as a preamp for the DSS) plus the 700 mono amps.

Thanks ahead of time for the clarifications.

Welcome, Bill_b!

1 Like

Hi @Paul

Is the Bridge 3 card still planned for release this year?

1 Like

Paul & Co.,

I’m sure this has been already discussed somewhere in these threads, but haven’t been able to locate it. What are the discs (formats) that Octave will be able to rip and keep bitperfect for playback? I’ll just mention some and you reply Yes or No OK?

SACD:
DVD-A:
XRCD:
HDCD:
UHQ:
MQACD:
K2:
BluSpec:
Redbook: obviously Yes.

Thanks

Octave will not have a disc ripper.

2 Likes

Funny, I was under the strong impression that Octave version R (R for ripper) will have a ripper and Octave version NR (NR for no ripper) will not have a ripper.
I am absolutely sure that Paul has clearly indicated this.
And I have been closely following this whole discussion.
Hey, I was the one who started the thread!
Bruce

1 Like

Paul said it will have a ripper. Back in 2016.

As far as I rember you’re both right…he first said yes and later no and that he didn’t want to combine server and ripper finally.

My recollection is the same as jazznut’s.

Will you be able to plug in a disc drive for ripping?

I don’t think so, as then the lot ripping logic would have to be inside Octave (which was told not to be). I personally think this is the right decision, even if it disappoints those who look for an all in one unit.

To me, it needs a ripper. It’s an incomplete solution, if one has to buy a ripper and drives.

@jazznut Agreed. It looks like Oppo probably had the right idea. I have a lot of discs but haven’t played any of them thru the Oppo for maybe a year. Once they go on the server that is the last time they spin. I’m sure that is true in the vast majority of cases.

I also think it shouldn’t get too expensive as compared to the Bridge, as for someone who can identify the sound quality differences and who therefore usually has quite good cabling, Octave with an add. high end power cord and i2s or whatever connection to the DAC can mean something like an 8k (5-6k + 2-3k) investment. So it must sound really much better for this price than a Bridge. And I understand sound quality will be the major difference as other functions seem to be very similar except if the internal storage is used.

If a ripping unit would be included it would rise the price even more and this would be obsolete for everyone who rips separately anyway or finished this usually one time only ripping process long ago. Many should think about if ripping their old discs vs. a Streaming Service or buying the good ones as normal or hires downloads newly wouldn’t make more sense than paying an estimated 1k? more for an included ripping unit/logic.

At the time I started with streaming I gave my CD‘s to a ripping service and paid around 1$ per CD. Can you imagine how long it takes to rip a large number of CD‘s yourself? Can you imagine how little it makes sense to have a sophisticated ripper if you have ca quite small number of CD‘s to rip? In case you have thousands of CD‘s you probably give up after a few hundred…

I think many don’t think through the one time ripping matter…

1 Like