PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

It’s a two channel server.

3 Likes

Any news about release date?

Paul just posted this update 3 days ago :wink: My fearless forecast is Spring 2020 to leave beta and ship

If there’d be a fixed page with all current time schedules (no matter if hit or missed) and with a current work status of each communicated project, there’d be 50% less posts in the forum due to the big amount of them constantly swirling around this topic :wink:

If I were Paul, Ted & co. I’d release such a page…just for the nerves :wink:

1 Like

…and then half of the posts on the subject would be complaining about missed “deadlines”. I am surprised Paul does not go in the opposite direction and share less and less with this crowd.

My $0.02.

3 Likes

Consensus on the timeline is probably very hard for the gang to agree upon. I’ve worked for a biotech that created a new branch of medicine beginning in 1989. It’s given me a good view into what it takes to create something exceedingly complicated and much of it ‘unknown’ with the full range of personalities involved. Antisense technology is perhaps not a great analog to 2 channel music reproduction but hopefully my point is taken

It’s clearly a labor of love and I’m thankful PS Audio is still around and creating incredible things that bring me so much joy!

Keep at it, we love what you do

1 Like

Should I wait or buy a Aurender N10, Auralic aires G2, Innuos Zenith Mk3 or a Antipodes CX? Convince me otherwise. :grin:

1 Like

Hmm, seems to me the answer to your question depends on what you’ve got now, where you are in your audio system journey and your disposable income

I’ve not heard any of them but from what I’ve heard from those that own one or the other and what I’ve read I’ll bet they all do a great job

The Antipodes design philosophy seems to align the closest with the Pink Faun 2.16 that I’ve enjoyed for more than a year now but it was a significant purchase and investment in time to listen to the litany of tuning options - but I enjoy this part so it’s part of the hobby for me

At the end of the day, our systems modulate a signal over power. The less the power alters the signal and connections become the conduit to pass noise the better. I bought the 2.16 because its a very special power supply along with an OS to take full advantage of it.

I tried Roon for a couple weeks and purchased a lifetime license two years ago. It does many things quite well but there are some design choices that I don’t especially care for or rather a few options other software has and I miss…but not enough to spend much time with other players on my current system.

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt - I try hard to not let the incessant comparisons destroy the enjoyment

8 Likes

My man,
“Comparison is the thief of joy” What a wonderful tome, from this boy who has been robbed many times, most self-inflicted.
Chas

4 Likes

I failed to attribute the quote, I’ve edited to add it. Theodore Roosevelt

Another quote I like is unattributed: “If it weren’t for human nature, we’be be a pretty good species!”

I may be wrong, but maybe include artificial intelligence, so it can adapt to how we each use it?? And maybe so we can each suggest improvements to OUR UI???

1 Like

A dealer tried to sell me Antipodes because he didn’t sell Innuos. They are by all accounts fine devices. I don’t know if they started it, but they have an EX + CX package where their server and renderer (streamer) are connected by direct ethernet, with fantastic results.

My Innuos Mk3 and Devialet work the same way,
Apparently the three brands other than Antipodes that do it are Melco, Naim and Innous.
http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/make-your-streaming-system-sing

To be honest, Paul‘s initial goal definition (see below) already was very near of the assumed one for an iPhone (extremely interface orientated), so I don’t know if even more GUI priority leaves any room for function and features (which imo are very relevant for everyone with more than a show room music collection) :wink:

Personally I would have loved to see a few more goal topics than that.

„To make a great music server you need to perfect three things:

• A great user interface
  • Output impervious to the vagaries of the computer and hardware inside
  • Simple to use, operate and implement

Get those three things right - better than anyone yet - and you have a winner.“

You must remember that was almost 3 years ago and things have moved on a lot since then.

There are quite a number of extremely good interfaces and idiot-proof systems, like Auralic Lightning, evident from the fact that in recent years there has been no need for any significant changes.

That said, neither my streamer (Devialet) or server (Innuos) has a proprietary music player. They both have third party players and uPnP loaded and Innuos allows further players to be loaded. Paul noted Roon was great 3 years ago and it is becoming almost universal.

The cleanliness of the output has also moved on leaps and bounds, with units now having multiple internal linear power supplies and regulators at fairly modest cost.

Is Octave a server or streamer, or both? How PSA deals with the power supply will be interesting.

I have an Aries G2, and, it is the best source I’ve had. Solid as a rock, maintains wifi connection for months on end. Great detail, incredible black background. Allows me to leave my NEARLY silent server in another room.

4 Likes

A long time Auralic user here. I’m wondering if you have the Vega G2 and use the Lightning Link. The idea of 2-way synchronisation of the timing between the server/streamer and DAC seems very clever, but I have not heard it.

I’ve been absent from the forums for quite a while, but I wanted to check in and see how everything was going here. Catching up on this many messages takes a while, so I’ve been listening to music on my iMac, played through Roon which is serving off a Roon Nucleus+, the 40,000+ tracks for which are stored on a Synology NAS. When I want to be serious, I listen to speakers through my DS, which plays from the Nucleus flawlessly; for headphones, I listen to my Stax and use the MSB Select DAC. All the critical audio components are on a separate subnet, isolated by fiber. The Nucleus just works, as does the Roon interface [minor flaws and all]. Doesn’t matter whether its DSD256 or good old Redbook, every Roon-capable device in the house from Apple TVs to phones to computers to music systems, can connect to the Nucleus and play whatever their user wants. It’s pretty nice. And it’s the first system I have had that can just about “do it all.”

As easy as Roon is, especially the Nucleus, if you don’t want to deal with computers and files and ripping and servers and networks, yeah, you don’t want this. Before the Nucleus, there was an Intel NUC, before that a Mac mini, before that the Roon NAS version running on a Synology, etc… I’ve tried what feels like everything since the early Win Media Server days, including custom, incredibly expensive, boxes, and most of the products mentioned in this thread. I have a stack of higher end DACs and streamers I need to sell or give away. Computer-based audio is very fast moving. A lot of the stuff I tried was shiite, and I thankfully figured it out quickly enough to return it. As someone said above, quoting TR, comparison really is the death of joy.

I have high hopes for Octave—including the hope of being a buying customer—but it’s a mammoth undertaking, and I wish Paul and the team nothing but the best. if it truly leaves DMP " in the dust," as Paul asserted earlier, that would be amazing. But it has to also be significantly better than the Roon [or other excellent] UI, which as we have discussed ad nauseam, is a far bridge. The comments here illustrate how many different variables for everything from UI to network topology come into play, and how many of them represent peculiar user preferences and experiences, many of which cannot be objectively tested here or in a lab. My own case illustrates exactly that: almost every aspect of my server/streaming setup is an evolutionary step based on personal experience, dealer interactions, the products I tested and those I didn’t, online learning, a trusted friend’s recommendation, trial & error, my local power grid, etc.

Back to Fiona Joy.

2 Likes

I am an owner of a PSAUDIO DS DAC and I am very satisfied.

Now that future OCTAVE server is near completion it would be wright to prepare a survey for PSAUDIO fans and customers in order to know what they want the machine to incorporate.

For example , OCTAVE server will have OCTAVE SOFTWARE+ BRIDGE III+CD ripper+HDD/SSD (for local/ private/ music library)+WIFI+ etc.

Now, tell us what is essential four you or what you really need :

A-OCTAVE SOFTWARE+ BRIDGE III+CD ripper+HDD/SSD
(for local/ private/ music library)+WIFI

B-OCTAVE SOFTWARE+ BRIDGE III+HDD/SSD
(for local/ private/ music library)+WIFI

C-OCTAVE SOFTWARE+ BRIDGE III+HDD/SSD
(for local/ private/ music library)

D-OCTAVE SOFTWARE+HDD/SSD
(for local/ private/ music library)

This way, I think that people would give you a clear image of what they want their money to buy.

It is only an idea, you may consider it or not, but from my point of view, it would be interesting. Communication between lovers, between brand and clients is key.

With compliments, Rafael Pons (SPAIN).

Thanks, and welcome back. End of October is currently our target date for internal beta testing. That will be the first time we have the iPad app and hardware running at the same time. Pretty exciting moment for us and nearing the close of the single longest
engineering project in our history. Getting close.

3 Likes

That’s excellent news Paul. Very, very good news.