PS Audio needs to be clear

@FABIO060673 Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clear things up. This is an obviously frustrating problem for you and a few others as well and I apologize. As I’ve said in the past, being frustrated over playing music, for whatever the reason, is no good!

Just to be clear, we did not invent DirectStream to fix the ticks and pops issues some are having with sample rate changes in the PWD. DirectStream was started as a project long before there even was an issue. Secondly, of course DirectStream kits will be available in Italy. I am guessing as soon as May or June, so if you do decide to upgrade it’s not a problem.

The ticks and pops happen to some folks on sample rate changes when you’re in NativeX and when you’re playing directly into a power amplifier, not so much when you’re going into a preamplifier. The guys are trying to figure out how to reliably duplicate the events as they don’t happen consistently and when that is the case it’s difficult to fix. But we haven’t forgotten and we keep on them.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.

Paul, I all ways use a preamp and have the same clicks and pops problem so for me is not related to that. But as I say before if I full power off the PWD and then back on the problem clears for some time.

I also always use a preamp and have this issue.

Paul-

For me the problem occurs in NativeX and Native, not just NativeX.

said Hello Folks,

There’s something i did not understand here. I’ve been out from the forum since one month now and i left it
still with peoples, like me also, that needed a solution for the famous pops and clicks caused By the firmware according
Changing resolution file from 16 to 24 bit.
Problem that was apparently solved tweaking with jRiver but not solved By the MK2 itselfes. I mean a machine that costed 3000usd and
Should be PERFECT .

Now all these matters seems to be desappeared just because PS Audio presented the new DIRECTSTREAM DAC and now what???
We have to spend 2000usd to have the problem fixed in a new machine?
And second…a guess Italian customers like me probably cannot benefit of the upgrade KIT.

Well Paul, i need to be clarified!!!

Regards,

Fabio

Hello Folks,

no news at all from PS AUDIO Techs regarding the clicks/pops on 2.43 firmware?

Is there an upgrade that solve the prob?

Thanks

F.

Have you installed 2.44?

Paul McGowan said @FABIO060673 Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clear things up. This is an obviously frustrating problem for you and a few others as well and I apologize. As I've said in the past, being frustrated over playing music, for whatever the reason, is no good!

Just to be clear, we did not invent DirectStream to fix the ticks and pops issues some are having with sample rate changes in the PWD. DirectStream was started as a project long before there even was an issue. Secondly, of course DirectStream kits will be available in Italy. I am guessing as soon as May or June, so if you do decide to upgrade it’s not a problem.

The ticks and pops happen to some folks on sample rate changes when you’re in NativeX and when you’re playing directly into a power amplifier, not so much when you’re going into a preamplifier. The guys are trying to figure out how to reliably duplicate the events as they don’t happen consistently and when that is the case it’s difficult to fix. But we haven’t forgotten and we keep on them.

Thanks, Paul.

Can I have a clarification that I have found here in the forum?
Specific few clicks and pops that I heard when I used the PWD mkII directly driven without pre (nas → bridge -> pwd).
I would like to know specifically if all the firmware updates have had in recent months have gone on to minimize the problem clicks and pops, or even have gone in the direction of improving the quality of audio at various resolutions.
In particular 2.2.0 originally installed the latest 2.4.3 e.2.4.4.

@Fabio, questa macchina suona alla grande, in particolare abbinandoci il perfectwave. Come ho già scritto sopra qualche click l’ho avvertito quando non avevo il pre. Provando i vari firmware, secondo te quale suona meglio?

Marcello

Marcello said
Paul McGowan said @FABIO060673 Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clear things up. This is an obviously frustrating problem for you and a few others as well and I apologize. As I've said in the past, being frustrated over playing music, for whatever the reason, is no good!

Thanks, Paul.

Can I have a clarification that I have found here in the forum?
Specific few clicks and pops that I heard when I used the PWD mkII directly driven without pre (nas → bridge -> pwd).
I would like to know specifically if all the firmware updates have had in recent months have gone on to minimize the problem clicks and pops, or even have gone in the direction of improving the quality of audio at various resolutions.
In particular 2.2.0 originally installed the latest 2.4.3 e.2.4.4.

@Fabio, questa macchina suona alla grande, in particolare abbinandoci il perfectwave. Come ho già scritto sopra qualche click l’ho avvertito quando non avevo il pre. Provando i vari firmware, secondo te quale suona meglio?

Marcello

Marcello,

non ho ancora provato la 2.4.4 perché sto ristrutturando casa. Lo farò tra una decina di giorni almeno. Che la macchina suoni bene

non ho dubbi, ma che debba installare un pre per non sentire i clicks nei cambi di risoluzione dei brani, dopo aver speso una cifra considerevole per questo DAC / POWER PLANT P10, beh per me é inaccettabile.

Così come trovo assurdo che per sistemare il problema ( sempre che la 2.4.4 risolva!!! E mi pare che su alcuni tester non sia stato così) i tecnici impieghino un anno per poi lanciare un DAC nuovo DSD che funziona perfettamente.

Non lo so, ma dalla PS Audio non me l’aspettavo!!

Ti aggiornerò

F.

2.4.4 dovrebbe risolvere il problema.
forse pregare un po 'troppo.105_gif

If using a Mac and also some PCs, try turning off integer mode on your player or the solution below.

some clicks about 3-10 times per second

You probably have a Mac whose model has been introduced before 2008 end. These models have a limitation in their USB ports power supply that makes a few samples to be set to 0 every ~16,000, and this only in Integer Mode. And this is what you can hear as clicks. To continue to get the benefits of the Integer Mode, the most widely used workaround consists in connecting a powered USB hub between the DAC and the Mac. (With only the DAC connected to it of course).

Hello,

Gordon do you talk Italian too? I’m impressed ;-)

In my case 2.4.4 does not solve the Tick problem on resolution change. I’m using a recent PC (Intel NUC BOXDC3217BY) with Windows 8.1 and JRiver MC19.

I’ve only just installed right now the 2.4.4, it seems there for few weeks ago but there’s no release note delivered with this firmware. Is it an official one?

Anyway, I’m still living with my problems on my PWDII. Tired about that…

Pat

UPDATE: The “Mute” function does no longer works on my PWDII with the 2.4.4 FW :-(

And more, the Filter options seems not working too.

patrick said Hello,

Gordon do you talk Italian too? I’m impressed

In my case 2.4.4 does not solve the Tick problem on resolution change. I’m using a recent PC (Intel NUC BOXDC3217BY) with Windows 8.1 and JRiver MC19.

I’ve only just installed right now the 2.4.4, it seems there for few weeks ago but there’s no release note delivered with this firmware. Is it an official one?

Anyway, I’m still living with my problems on my PWDII. Tired about that…

Pat

molto poco e con terribile grammatica.

Did you try turning off integer mode on your player?

Thank you Gordon for your answer. As far as I know, the Integer Mode is only available on Max OSX, not viewed this option in my JRMC Audio Settings under Windows.

Anyway, I’ll return back to the 2.4.3, I’ve no more time to spend on PWD Firmware or other PC Application fine tuning. It’s not the exactly the idea of musical pleasure I imagined when I bought the PWD. I indeed appreciate your support and thank you.

I would open a support ticket with PSA and ask Alex to give you some advice that I may be missing.

There should NOT be anyone out there that is not enjoying their PWDMKII. He will find a way to get you fixed up.

vous devez être persistant

wijnand said @FABIO060673 I quess the trouble with clicks and pops are partly in the hardware. The PS audio team has worked a long time on this problem. But every (new firmware) that should solve the problem had it's own problem namely the SQ. The latest firmware 2.4.3 in my opinion has the best SQ ever. So the clicks and pops brought someting special!. I have tested (like most of us) lot's of firmwares and tested it in many, many setups. I decided on a certain moment is not going to work and added a preamp in my settup. I'm not saying that everybody has to add a preamp, but explore other possibilities like USB. The SQ of USB has surprised me many times, and in many occasions I even liked USB better than the bridge. The protocol USB is far less unstable than ethernet and in a certain (the solid sound) way it sounds more like our good old cd player (for the people that liked the solid sound) There's no problem with dropouts and I had far less clicks and pops using USB.

At the moment I use a pc card connected with one of the I2S ports of the PWD. The sound improvement is enormes it is even bigger than the upgrade from the MK1 to the MK2 maybe twice that big. The only problem with this card is that it won’t work on low ress because of a tech problem (difference with the I2S protocol of the PWD) but using Jriver upsampling all files to 176 and 192 on the fly the PWD only has to switch between the two samplerates. The clicks and pops are far less attended. Maybe you could try this with USB. I’m positive it will help to enjoy using the PWD you will even have gapless. For the best SQ you have to leave your bridge in the PWD using USB with firmware 2.4.3 if else the sound will be thinner. No clue why! With all these bumps I still would not have missed the evolution. For what concerns the PWD it’s now time to enjoy!

Dear Wijnand,

thanks for your help. Since my music is all into a NAS attached to a router and not into iMac, how can i use USB ports?

I have USB ports in the back of my NAS, but i do not think that fitting those ports to the PWD it works…

Can you give me some hints?

Regards,

F.

fabio060673 said

Dear Wijnand,

thanks for your help. Since my music is all into a NAS attached to a router and not into iMac, how can i use USB ports?

I have USB ports in the back of my NAS, but i do not think that fitting those ports to the PWD it works…

Can you give me some hints?

Regards,

F.

Hi Fabio,

I had to read back what I wrote.

But I’m sorry in case of a Nass there’s no possibility to make a connection with USB to the PWD. For use with USB there must be a PC or a Mac near by your PWD.

And that’s why i am not able to do that…cause my iMac is far the DAC…in another room!!

Do you think that this product reviewed from computeraudiophile…could solve the problem?

SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server Review

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/585-sotm-sms-100-mini-server-review/

Regards,

Fabio