PSA Wish list

Paul, I love PSA products. I have several and love them all.

P-5 pair, DSMP, DS DAC, BHK 250, BHK preamp, Bridge II, Lan Rover, AC 5 power cords, Phono converter,and wall outlets.

A few wish list suggestions:

In future BHK amps ( maybe Version 2 ) I wish there was a output XLR / RCA off the amp. This would be ideal for jumping to a sub or even another PSA amp for bi amp set up.

2 pair of XLR/RCA outputs off the BHK preamp for subs or bi amp or even room correction eq for the subs.

Future Music server to have the ability to be controlled by Ipad or other tablet.

Music server to have the ability to have an external SACD player for SACD ripping or at least SACD playback. Blu-ray audio too.

PSA hi level input to XLR converter for sub use ( for those of us without a REL sub )

Happy New Year everyone!

happy new year to you all too! I like these suggestions. Let me address them individually.

• In future BHK amps ( maybe Version 2 ) I wish there was a output XLR / RCA off the amp. This would be ideal for jumping to a sub or even another PSA amp for bi amp set up.
This is a good suggestion and one we've discussed. I will point out that you can currently do this, though obviously with only the unused input.
  • 2 pair of XLR/RCA outputs off the BHK preamp for subs or bi amp or even room correction eq for the subs.
This would require losing one of BHK's inputs to make enough rear panel space to accommodate. How does everyone feel about that?
  • Future Music server to have the ability to be controlled by Ipad or other tablet.
Already more than a year in development. Called Octave.
  • Music server to have the ability to have an external SACD player for SACD ripping or at least SACD playback. Blu-ray audio too.
Unlikely we would ever make this because of legal issue with copyright and Sony.
  • PSA hi level input to XLR converter for sub use ( for those of us without a REL sub )
A good idea and one I already built using two high quality audio step down transformers. Not sure it's a good commercial product. REL's got a wireless version that's said to be transparent. I believe that might be the best answer.
Paul McGowan said This would require losing one of BHK's inputs to make enough rear panel space to accommodate. How does everyone feel about that?
I would not trade losing an input in exchange for a sub output.

Remember, a Y-cable on a preamp out will do the job just fine if you need to send a line-level signal to a sub.

I would want to lose an input either. However I’d gladly lose all RCA totally

This would make the preamp unusable for the vast majority. Few have a totally balanced system.

I’ve brought this up before. A tape loop please! I’d give up the 5th input for a fixed line level out (tape loop). I know some (Elk) like 5 inputs but I’m betting it’s rarely used compared to the added flexibility of a tape loop.

1 Like

Paul, would Sony let PSA if you had the ripped SACD have the same code ( handshake ) so it would only playback on DS DAC?

Darren - if you’re moderately computer literate, and have an Oppo of the right vintage, it’s not super hard. I don’t think Sony is going to approve any means of ripping, though they might be happy to sell you another copy online. My guess is also that they would charge Paul more than it was worth to license it.

Paul, perhaps the additional BHK Preamp output could be an optional upgrade. As previously mentioned, my 3 source all digital system only requires 1 analogue input. The additional inputs go unused. Those of us with digital systems might need 1 or 2 analogue inputs max.

norton said

Paul, perhaps the additional BHK Preamp output could be an optional upgrade. As previously mentioned, my 3 source all digital system only requires 1 analogue input. The additional inputs go unused. Those of us with digital systems might need 1 or 2 analogue inputs max.

How about a compromise on input # 5 and only have that one RCA?

Another thought with a balance system, it just sounds better ( IMO ) than not, so why not xlr to rca adapters to those who are there yet with the balance thing?

The majority of consumer equipment is single-ended. Offering adapters is a kludge, as well as contrary to keeping the signal path as clean as possible.

BAT plays this game. A pair of their adapters is $125. Silly.

Audioquest makes them as well. I’ve used then with zero issues or added noise.

As does Hosa, etc. I have also made SE to balanced cables. There are options, although none are ideal.

Regardless, forcing consumers into this topology limits the universality of the preamp. PS Audio wants to sell as many of the preamp it can. Making the preamp difficult to incorporate into a typical user’s system frustrates this goal.

There is also the issue of wiring the XLRs properly depending on the topology of the connected equipment. For example, most adapters short pin 3 to ground (pin 1). This is a bad idea with the BHK pre; it is not transformer coupled and does not like being shorted to ground. Thus, consumers would be forced to buy PSA XLR to RCA adapters with a floated pin 3 or otherwise ensure the adapters are wired correctly. Buyers will not be amused to learn that to begin using the preamp they need to spend another $400 on adapters.

There is no upside to deleting all RCA SE connections.

amsco15 said

I’d give up the 5th input for a fixed line level out (tape loop). I know some (Elk) like 5 inputs but I’m betting it’s rarely used compared to the added flexibility of a tape loop.

I like flexibility in a preamp. A fixed line out would be good. Many like a home theater Bypass, even though I would never use one.

I would need the Theater

Quite a few like having this feature. The BHK can toggle any of its inputs to be a home theater bypass. Pretty neat.

Yes I use the bypass myself. Works great! I use the bypass XLR as well from my Marantz AV8802A.

My suggestion would be to make a preamp case that is about half way between the size of the BHK Preamp and BHK-250 power amp. Something like my Audio Research LS-27 preamp. Plenty of inputs, record out and two pre-outs with RCA and XLR for each one. With all of my audio and video equipment, this leaves me with one free input. If the BHK Preamp had this combination of Ins and Outs, I would consider it.

Audio-Research-LS-27-back-panel.JPG

What is one intended to do with a monitor input?

Elk said

What is one intended to do with a monitor input?

On a three head tape deck, you can “monitor” the recording as it is being recorded. So whatever input is selected is routed to Record Out, and the Monitor button on the remote toggles between the input being recorded and the Tape Output of the tape deck that is plugged in to the Monitor jacks. An alternate use would be to toggle an external processor in and out of the signal path. Otherwise, it’s just another input, but not connected to Record Out.