"Pure Audio" setting

Paul McGowan said
magister said Does the DMP need to be rebooted, or does the Pure Audio change take effect immediately?

No. Takes place immediately as a toggle (switch).

Yes it does, which you can hear…

This makes sense, as any Oppo-based drive should have a toggle for this setting. MSB has it for their UMT and are rather emphatic about setting it to enable [their remote does it as well, inasmuch as it is essentially an adapted Oppo remote], when one is not using the available video output. And it does indeed make a difference.

My Denon flagship and 100th anniversary players have Pure Audio as well and it makes a difference, but I was surprised at the difference it made on the PMD.

Well! For the last 2 weeks I’ve been scrambling, trying to determine why my DMP did not sound so great. I’ve switched cables, fuses, supports, etc. I had seen this Forum topic but skipped it, not knowing (or caring) what Pure Audio was, as it wasn’t in the manual nor visible as something on my unit. For no reason, I starting looking at it, and learned about the faulty sertting. I enabled it, and presto!

Paul said ‘we need to get the word out’ about this. Was anything done? Was an email sent to known owners? Did a Pauls Post mention it? At a minimum I suggest changing the title of the forum topic to “Important Information for all DMP Owners,” to save your customers needless aggravation.

There is another important point.

If beta testers had machines without Pure Audio enabled then their comparisons with the PWT and Bridge 2 will not have shown the DMP at its best. I would strongly recommend that those beta testers who now have the production DMPs revisit their comparisons and conclusions when Pure Audio is enabled.

In particular I (and probably many others) would be very interested in any revised conclusions on the relative SQ merits of the DMP versus Bridge 2 (when properly isolated). In the beta testing there were conclusions ranging from “DMP clearly better” to “couldn’t separate them” with Paul firmly in the former camp (Pure Audio enabled I’m sure).

Solomon said Well! For the last 2 weeks I've been scrambling, trying to determine why my DMP did not sound so great. I've switched cables, fuses, supports, etc. I had seen this Forum topic but skipped it, not knowing (or caring) what Pure Audio was, as it wasn't in the manual nor visible as something on my unit. For no reason, I starting looking at it, and learned about the faulty sertting. I enabled it, and presto!

Paul said ‘we need to get the word out’ about this. Was anything done? Was an email sent to known owners? Did a Pauls Post mention it? At a minimum I suggest changing the title of the forum topic to “Important Information for all DMP Owners,” to save your customers needless aggravation.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an easy way to communicate with our specific customers. Some purchase through dealers, some direct, others through their distributors. Sometimes they register, other times they don’t. It’s not so simple.

A “Pauls’s Post” would reach a lot of them, and I bet that Kevin and other sales persons would have email lists that would help reach a good many of them. . . . .

davidl said There is another important point.

If beta testers had machines without Pure Audio enabled then their comparisons with the PWT and Bridge 2 will not have shown the DMP at its best. I would strongly recommend that those beta testers who now have the production DMPs revisit their comparisons and conclusions when Pure Audio is enabled.

In particular I (and probably many others) would be very interested in any revised conclusions on the relative SQ merits of the DMP versus Bridge 2 (when properly isolated). In the beta testing there were conclusions ranging from “DMP clearly better” to “couldn’t separate them” with Paul firmly in the former camp (Pure Audio enabled I’m sure).

I have not found any big difference between Bridge II and DMP even with Pure Audio enabled.

Bridge II (with latest version Dennis sent to me last week - it is even much better in terms of SQ compared the previous to this) is still little less revealing and little less tighter in bass to me but more analog (and hence more pleasant sounding to my ear).

Regards,

Sourav

Paul McGowan said
Solomon said Well! For the last 2 weeks I've been scrambling, trying to determine why my DMP did not sound so great. I've switched cables, fuses, supports, etc. I had seen this Forum topic but skipped it, not knowing (or caring) what Pure Audio was, as it wasn't in the manual nor visible as something on my unit. For no reason, I starting looking at it, and learned about the faulty sertting. I enabled it, and presto!

Unfortunately, we don’t have an easy way to communicate with our specific customers. Some purchase through dealers, some direct, others through their distributors. Sometimes they register, other times they don’t. It’s not so simple.

Aspera Audio has communicated this issue to all of their customers. Indeed a big difference !

My replacement DMP came in this morning. Superb service by Paul and Jeremy! My sincere and deepest thanks.

Just to note the DMPs are still going out disabled mode. I checked mine shortly after I installed and powered up and shipped disabled.

Again all my thanks.

Just checked and your unit was apparently built on the 30th and they didn’t bother to open the box and reset. Sigh.

Thanks for catching that.

Where’s those cats I was attempting to herd?boxing_gif2guns_gif

Paul McGowan said Just checked and your unit was apparently built on the 30th and they didn't bother to open the box and reset. Sigh.

Thanks for catching that.

Where’s those cats I was attempting to herd?

Running amok. Thanks loads Paul.

Spentbtime with the DMP/DS this morning after letting it settle in since yesterday morning and sounds from what I remember a week ago better than my first one. My take just a bum drive on original. Stuff happens. I listened to RBCD this morning to get a handle First and definitely beyond expectations.

You guys are engineering gods!

Bless you all at PS for your amazing skills and diligence.

Another Pure Audio disabled DMP here, thanks for the instructions Paul!

I showed this thread to my buddy Bob, he has an early production unit, I think arrived late December. We checked it, " Pure Audio " was disabled.

So, anyone who does not read this forum will not know about it.

Paul, how about a message that pops up when a unit is registered, and inform anyone who requests a RMA. It might make them change their mind.

Good idea. I’ll see if we can do that. We did manage to send out a mailer to the people we have on file.

Thanks Paul for sending out the email on this issue. I too, like some others, skipped over this topic in the forum for whatever reason. It was your email post that brought it to my attention and I made the change to my unit as well. My unit was shipped just before xmas with the pure audio disabled.