"Pure Audio" setting

I stumbled across a screen titled “Debug” while checking the setup of my DMP. It can be accessed by entering the “Setup” screen and then touching the lower right corner. There is one configurable setting on this screen titled “Pure Audio” located in the lower right corner which when touched can be toggled between “enabled” or “disabled”. There is no documentation for this in the manual. My DMP was set to “disabled” when I first discovered it which I switched to “enabled”. Any information on exactly what this setting does would be greatly appreciated.

DMP Interim update code

Intriguing.

Indeed

DenisD said one configurable setting on this screen titled "Pure Audio" located in the lower right corner which when touched can be toggled between "enabled" or "disabled". ... Any information on exactly what this setting does would be greatly appreciated.
My Oppo 105D has a "Pure Audio" setting that disables the video circuitry and turns off the display light, with the intention of improving the sound quality.

yes, is probably a carryover from the Oppo base used in the DMP.

The should be left enabled. It turns on/off the Oppo video engine. Sounds worse when disabled - meaning the video engine is engaged.

I just checked my unit and it shows Disabled. I will change it (and will be eager to see if I get even better sound out of a transport that already sounds superb). But apparently the DMP is shipping with the wrong setting here, so thanks DenisD for sharing your discovery!

Yes - thanks for “stumbling” Dennis! That was a setting I found to be worth it on the Oppo, so I would think it should be worth it on the DMP, though it’s not connected to video devices. Odd choice of placement for an item that should either be a default or in the Setup menu!

Shoot! Looks like all the DMPs have gone out with the wrong default. We need to let everyone know to reset it to Enabled.

Rats!angry_gif

Thanks for pointing this out Denis and thanks for the info Paul.

Paul McGowan said The should be left enabled. It turns on/off the Oppo video engine. Sounds worse when disabled - meaning the video engine is engaged.
Maybe this explains why I have been a little underwhelmed by the sound of my replacement DMP, compared to the one I used for 5 weeks for the beta trial? While I have yet to do much of a burn-in, I've been scratching my head over why that much of the old magic just wasn't there with the new unit. In fact, I had already inquired if PS Audio still had the 0.5m HDMI cables that they had supplied stock with the first DMPs, to see if the shorter one sounded better than the longer ones that now come with the DMP.

At any rate, I have just enabled the Pure Audio setting. And I will report back in a couple of days after more of a burn-in whether old magic has returned.

Yes, please do.

Curiosity was killing the cat too much (i.e., to want to wait out the burn-in of the new DMP before auditioning for any changes from enabling the “Pure Audio” setting an hour or two ago). Lo and behold, I am now hearing all the jaw-dropping loveliness that I was privy to up until my return of the beta test unit before Christmas.

3 cheers to DenisD for helping to bring the wrong factory setting on these later units to Paul’s attention!

Mine is an early beta and it was set wrong as well.

Paul,

You’ve probably already thought of it, but if not, any units that are in reviewer’s hands should be changed also. It would be a shame to get a less than rave review for sound quality because of a simple setting.

I hadn’t. Thanks for the reminder! We’re on it.

Does the DMP need to be rebooted, or does the Pure Audio change take effect immediately?

Here’s the instructions for setting the Pure Audio Mode. With pictures.

1. Touch the upper right-hand corner of the touch screen (with the three dots visible). You are now in the version screen.
  2. Touch again the top right-hand corner of the screen and you are then in the Setup Screen
  3. Touch the lower right-hand corner of the touch screen (there are no markings). You are now in the Debug screen.
  4. Touch the pure audio words to toggle Pure Audio mode. You want to have this enabled.
The default was supposed to be enabled. This turns off the unit's internal video engine. I worked with this when we first built the device and determined we must have the video engine off for best performance. That's clear and easy to hear.

We never made this available as an option because it makes no sense to do so. The video engine is only useful to the programmers for debugging. Our bad. I hang our company’s head this got out as the wrong default. All units shipped from today forward are right.

Let us know if you have any questions (other than WTF).

Step-1.jpgStep-2.jpgStep-3.jpgStep-4.jpg

magister said Does the DMP need to be rebooted, or does the Pure Audio change take effect immediately?
No. Takes place immediately as a toggle (switch).

I knew this was going to be a two bowls of popcorn thread.