PWD and eLyric

My general recommendation:

If eMM is still working for you, keep using it. If you like some other UPnP server then just use what you like. For some time I have been using Foobar2000 and am happy with it. Others are happy with JRMC or Minim.

If eLyric controller is still working on your iThing then do keep using it! I still use eLyric controller on my iPad 1 and gen 2 iPod touch. If you have iOS 6 or older, DO NOT update eLyric - this will almost certainly break it! I got lucky in that I had a backup of an older version of eLyric controller and was able to restore it after the latest update broke it.

While there are several UPnP controller apps available for iThing, I still strongly prefer eLyric controller and wish that PS Audio could find a way to continue to support it. Best bet is to keep an old iPad and earlier version of eLyric controller on hand to use as your system controller. Go but a New Old Stock iPad 2 and keep it at iOS 6 or earlier, and see if you can get a copy of the next to last version of eLyric controller direct from PS Audio as that worked well, at least on iOS 5.2.2. Maybe I should follow my own advice as my iPad 1 is not getting any younger. :smiley:

J.P.

I am using Minimserver on my HTPC and Linn Kinsky on my iPad.

It works with the PWD Bridge with some flaws.

mr_bill said: From this I gather that EMM is still the preferred UPnP server/library manager

Yeah, still preferred by someone. Successfully deinstalled and forgotten by the rest :) There is no "officially preferred" music manager.

mr_bill said: if I want to switch, go to Minim or JRiver or other.

Yes

mr_bill said:Any alternatives for iphone controller?
Alekz said: Kinsky for Apple

http://www.linn.co.uk/software#kinsky
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kinsky/id449144980?mt=8

I’m going to give Kinsky for my iphone a try as a controller.

I’ll run EMM or Minim server.

Thanks for the Plug Player tip, works very well and no more “Waiting for devices…” . Looks like the eLyric app is based on this, the UIs are very similar?

Thanks for the Plug Player tip, works very well and no more "Waiting for devices..." . Looks like the eLyric app is based on this, the UIs are very similar?

Same developer.

How can you give up on eLyric controller which we paid for as you promised to work with the PWD? And it’s still in the App Store!!

Not sure when you bought the app, but if you check the reviews from previous versions you would have been forewarned of the problems. As Paul has stated in the past the developer has not been real interested in keeping up with the iOS changes. Not likely he ever will as iOS 8 is now in development. Given the cost of the PWD I don’t think $9.99 for the controller is that much to throw away. I actually bought it a year ago and discovered the problems right away and got a refund of the app cost.

I bought it as soon as it came out. $9.99 is not a lot to throw away, but the purchase means PS’s commitment to make it work, as Paul had been promising all along. The PWD, Bridge, and the controller were meant to be a whole package as advertised ever since they were first in the market. Even PS’s web still shows that!

Paul has been very sincere in his commitment to eLyric, but he has also been very honest in his frustration. PS Audio does not own the app, the developer does and they are at his mercy. Paul has has gone the extra mile to keep it going even when the developer wasn’t interested, there’s only so much you can do when you are the customer.

Indeed and at the time we brought all this to market we went ahead and funded the two projects of eLyric because there was nothing else out there that worked as a package to our satisfaction. But as we worked to get eLyric where we wanted it, others more experienced in building apps flew by us and we couldn’t keep up. But that’s good news for you because just switching over to Plug Player, or any number of UPnP based apps works great with the PWD/Bridge and completes the package. That was one of the beauties of sticking with UPnP because, as its name implies, it works universally with any compatible app.

Hello, Paul/all.

First time poster…

I understand eLyric is toast (for some good, and not-so-good IMHO, reasons).

I now have three controllers on my iPhone (JRemote, eLyric, Kinsky). They all have some advantages, but I understand that only eLyric can control the DAC. I really miss that! My aging eyes can’t read the DAC screen to confirm or set settings from my listening position.

That said, my questions (thanks for your patience):

(FYI, I am running JRiver Media Center 19 on a trial basis on my 2007 iMac desktop [OS X - 10.9.1]. I like the way it seamlessly syncs with my iTunes library and keeps up with changes as well as its desktop play capabilities. My controller interface is an iPhone 5.)

1. Kinsky and JRemote have been promoted in these pages as good apps in lieu of eLyric. Is Plug Player just another Johnny-Come-Lately, or does it offer advantages over the above mentioned controllers?

2. Is there a controller (or controller function I missed) that allows you to control the DAC besides eLyric? (Note to Paul: If you are actively working with developers, it would be much appreciated and I believe it would be a beneficial discriminator in the marketplace of “PS Audiodom” to have this feature.)

3. The catch-all: If you are really a fan of the form and function of your Library manager and controller combination, I would appreciate if you would sing its/their praises and make a recommendation.

Thanks in advance all, for your replies, and keep up the good work.

Be well,

Scott

(scotte1)

Welcome, Scott!

I am unsuited to address the topic, but soon there should be members who will respond with helpful comments.

If not, you may want to start your own specific thread as your questions may receive more attention this way.

@scotte1 Yes, welcome indeed. The DAC was never supposed to be “controlled” in terms of filters and sample rates on the fly. Only the Phase made sense. The idea was to find the sample rate setting you liked best, hopefully Native or NativeX, leave the filter setting either on auto or where you like it best and then sit back and enjoy using any number of UPnP controllers. That was the original idea.

When we worked with the Plug Player Developer Howard, to build an eLyric version, we added the ability to switch those parameters from the mobile device because we could - never expecting people to really use them on a continuous basis. For example, I never change them, leaving my PWD on NativeX and auto for the filter constantly.

I use Plug Player or JRemote, depending on what I am doing and love it.

Paul McGowan said: But as we worked to get eLyric where we wanted it, others more experienced in building apps flew by us and we couldn't keep up.

Speaking of the eLyric control point, not the EMM server: there may be technical aspects of eLyric and other controllers that I don't understand, since I'm not a programmer. But as a user I must say that eLyric has never been bettered. PlugPlayer? yes, it works; but using most of the iPad's screen area for a very large view of a low-res album cover, while relegating text that one wants to read to a small area at the left, has never seemed like a good design to me. I really like the display of the browse tree at the left and the ability to display long titles etc.

In another thread, Paul, you mentioned how stable the test versions of Bridge II are. The only issue I've had with eLyric on my iOS5 iPad is that sometimes it quits for no apparent reason. I wonder now if this is not a problem with the Bridge, not eLyric. I'd urge you to test eLyric with the new Bridge, using both current and older iPads. You may have a perfectly decent app that was sabotaged, at least before the iOS7 upgrade, by the Bridge.

Like you, I don't change filters much but it's good to have the option for those who want it. Selecting the input source is essential. I can't use the IR remote because of distance and angle to my chair. No other control point lets me do this. Please keep an open mind about the future of eLyric controller once the new Bridge is out. I'm not sure it's necessary for PSA to invest in supporting server software, since folks like MinimServer and JRiver focus on that and provide excellent products. But the control point really needs to work specifically with the PWD/Bridge.

@admin

Thanks, Paul. I’ll check out PlugPlayer – assuming it works on the iPhone (my better half usually monopolizes the iPad, which is probably her prerogative since it was a birthday present).

Regarding settings by remote control…I don’t really ever deviate from Native X. However, the filters don’t seem to be set and forget in my experience. Certain tracks benefit from some experimentation.

Good community, great products – keep up the good work.

Regards,

scotte1

@magister0 Thanks for the info/response. Anyone else have some useful insight related to my original post?

@magister0 Thanks for the info/response. Anyone else have some useful insight related to my original post?

"1. Kinsky and JRemote have been promoted in these pages as good apps in lieu of eLyric. Is Plug Player just another Johnny-Come-Lately, or does it offer advantages over the above mentioned controllers?

2. Is there a controller (or controller function I missed) that allows you to control the DAC besides eLyric? (Note to Paul: If you are actively working with developers, it would be much appreciated and I believe it would be a beneficial discriminator in the marketplace of "PS Audiodom" to have this feature.)

3. The catch-all: If you are really a fan of the form and function of your Library manager and controller combination, I would appreciate if you would sing its/their praises and make a recommendation. - See more at: http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/6376/pwd-and-elyric#Item_37"

RSVP.
scotte1 said: If you are really a fan of the form and function of your Library manager and controller combination, I would appreciate if you would sing its/their praises and make a recommendation.

MinimServer and BubbleUPnP
If eLyric controller is still working on your iThing then do keep using it! I still use eLyric controller on my iPad 1 and gen 2 iPod touch. If you have iOS 6 or older, DO NOT update eLyric - this will almost certainly break it! I got lucky in that I had a backup of an older version of eLyric controller and was able to restore it after the latest update broke it.

While there are several UPnP controller apps available for iThing, I still strongly prefer eLyric controller and wish that PS Audio could find a way to continue to support it. Best bet is to keep an old iPad and earlier version of eLyric controller on hand to use as your system controller. Go but a New Old Stock iPad 2 and keep it at iOS 6 or earlier, and see if you can get a copy of the next to last version of eLyric controller direct from PS Audio as that worked well, at least on iOS 5.2.2. Maybe I should follow my own advice as my iPad 1 is not getting any younger. :D

J.P.

Hi wingsounds13,
Recently my iPod Touch Gen 2 was updated to version 4.2.1, but I just couldn't sync eLyrics version 2.1.1 from iTunes to my iPod :(( Could you please share some light? [-O<