PWD DSD LPs Playback

I like to encourage anyone to start playing their LPs through your PWD DSD, it is beyond my comprehension how this possible but the music out of the DSD is really something listening to.

Sounds strange - tube phono stage (with signal tubes manufactured in the 1950’s) feeding PWD DSD manufactured in 2014.

Had my son witness this, because at first I thought I was hearing things, my son now agrees that DSD LP Playback sounds way superior in my system than standard playback.

The DSD makes some of my LPs sound soooo live and so many missing notes can be heard. The needle drop is PureSex

This such a thrill. I really urge you, try it out you may like it and LPs can take a new meaning.

And if it is true about DSD break-in, I have only 75-100 hours so far.

I am a record man and now a brave new world has opened for me, the non-tubed all digital PWD DSD playing records. The black round things.

Sounds very cool, and fun.

What are you using for an ADC?

I am using the Apogee Rosetta A/D converter.

Hoping to get a Rosetta 200 soon.

Wouldn’t the NPC do this for LP playback? If so has anyone tried it with the DS?

1 Like

Yes, NPC works beautifully for vinyl playback through the DS. NPC will convert to DSD and you can send it to the DS using an I2S cable.

…and, you can use I²S out on the NPC into DirectStream and the results are magnificent.

1 Like
terryakhan said . . . and so many missing notes can be heard.
Hmm . . .

I understand trying this, and I am one that enjoys such experiments, but if you truly are hearing new information in this configuration the analog playback chain is not optimal and needs some attention. That is, something is not quite right. Perhaps there is an impedance mismatch, suboptimal gain staging or the like.

It is impossible to gain musical information by taking an analog stream and processing it digitally twice. At best, you do not lose information.

Hi Paul.

Does the PWD mk11 accept the DSD output from the Nuwave Phono Converter? I can only get it to pickup PCM 192/ 24 with the iS2 connection
Thanks

My guess is that this is just audiophile language failing to really express what is happening. I am reasonably sure that rather than information being added what is meant is that newly heard details have been detected, details that were there but not sensed before.

I don’t believe the PWDF was able to handle DSD through I2S. I’ll have to check.

This is expected behavior. I’m almost certain the PWD didn’t have the ability to process DSD files.

Thanks Paul, James

Does the current Directstream DAC handle DSD source files?

Yes, absolutely.

Yes, absolutely. The PWD didn’t.

Yes I have used my NPC to play records through my Directstream DAC before i added the BHK preamp to my system. It sounds very good. Running the analog stage through the BHK has higher gain than the NPC it makes it tricky to compare the two for sound quality. If you want to do that you must match the level within 1/2 db or the comparison will not be valid.

I use my NuWave Phono Converter to convert my phono signal to DSD and send it via I2S to the DSD. Sound is very good. I’m very happy with this method.

1 Like