PWT freeze-up on certain catalogue discs only

Hello all,

Over the past week, I’ve begun to experience a strange problem with my PWT.

I have the Living Stereo box set as well as several other box sets and of course individual CDs. Over the past week, almost every time I play a disc from the Living Stereo collection, the machine freezes. I have to recycle the player to unfreeze it, and then it may or may not play the disc correctly.

This does not happen with any other disc, whether it’s from a remastered box set collection or just a typical stand-alone title.

Does anyone have any ideas why discs from one collection would all freeze? There are no scratches on the discs. I can’t say for sure if this is a new phenomenon because I haven’t played these discs very much since I bought the box last year.

Any thoughts or speculation would be welcome.

It’s possible a film of airborne grime has accumulated on the pickup lens. You might try running a lens cleaner through your PWT. I’ve had good luck with the Maxell CD-340. My DS Memory Player recently started having trouble with hybrid SACDs and the CD-340 fixed it.

Good luck.

-Pb

rfprice said

Hello all,

Over the past week, I’ve begun to experience a strange problem with my PWT.

I have the Living Stereo box set as well as several other box sets and of course individual CDs. Over the past week, almost every time I play a disc from the Living Stereo collection, the machine freezes. I have to recycle the player to unfreeze it, and then it may or may not play the disc correctly.

This does not happen with any other disc, whether it’s from a remastered box set collection or just a typical stand-alone title.

Does anyone have any ideas why discs from one collection would all freeze? There are no scratches on the discs. I can’t say for sure if this is a new phenomenon because I haven’t played these discs very much since I bought the box last year.

Any thoughts or speculation would be welcome.

My PWT freezes a few times a week…very frustrating. Doesn’t seem to be related to any discs or disc types (i.e. hybrid SACD’s, CD-R’s, etc.). I also wish the remote bugs were addressed. If I hit track 7 on the remote, the balance adjusts on my DS Jr. DAC. There’s a few other strange quirks when using the remote with both the PWT and the DAC. Maybe fixed in the next SW release? ETA?

Oh, that’s interesting. I haven’t noticed any strange behavior with the remote, but maybe I should look more closely.

I do have occasional freezing problems, but there seems to be something particular about these Living Stereo discs. I’m beginning to think that the problem is with the collection, not the PWT. However I remember reading in another forum post that the PWT might be too good for its own good. That all the oversampling to create a bit-perfect sample is too unforgiving to the disc. So it chokes up in situations that less-sophisticated players would ignore. Who knows. Too bad though, because these Living Stereo discs are some of my favorites.

Not that this should be necessary, but have you tried copying a problematic disk and determining if the copy works better?

That’s a good idea. I don’t have a burner, but maybe I can borrow one.

rfprice said

That’s a good idea. I don’t have a burner, but maybe I can borrow one.

Hello rfprice,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and so very sorry to hear that you are having this trouble.

If you continue to have these issues please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com and we’ll get you taken care of.

Thanks,

• Jeremy
Jeremy B said

Hello rfprice,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and so very sorry to hear that you are having this trouble.

If you continue to have these issues please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com and we’ll get you taken care of.

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Thanks for reaching out, Jeremy. I appreciate the help.