problem with PWT reading discs

I have had my PWT for years. Never a problem before now. I recently installed the newest software. I have been experiencing intermittent reading problems since installation. I sometimes have to power down the unit and re-power to get the PWT to read discs. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I have not had a problem.

I suggest installing a previous version. Reinstalling the new, and turn off and back on. Perhaps it did not load completely properly.

Elk said I have not had a problem.

I suggest installing a previous version. Reinstalling the new, and turn off and back on. Perhaps it did not load completely properly.

Hi Elk,

Thanks for this suggestion. Will do.

Duke of Earl said
Elk said I have not had a problem.

Hi Elk,

Thanks for this suggestion. Will do.

Hi Elk,

I reinstalled the software. There is still an intermittent problem with reading the discs. Your ideas?

I had this problem 6 months ago. It needed a new DVD drive.

Problem was that my unit was old and used an IDE drive that they did not have.

They had a SATA drive but that required a new “FPGA” board.

So I wound up buying both. I think the total cost then was under $200.

Before replacing the drive, try cleaning the lens. It does not take much grubbiness to create a problem.

st50maint said I had this problem 6 months ago. It needed a new DVD drive.

Problem was that my unit was old and used an IDE drive that they did not have.

They had a SATA drive but that required a new “FPGA” board.

So I wound up buying both. I think the total cost then was under $200.

Thanks for letting me know.

Elk said Before replacing the drive, try cleaning the lens. It does not take much grubbiness to create a problem.
Hi Elk,

How do I clean the lens?

Just Google “CD player clean lens” or similar and you will fine sites describing how to do so as well as CD cleaning kits if you choose to go that route.

Hi Elk,

Thanks. I’ll look this up.

Hi Elk,

Where do I find instructions on how to take the PWT apart so that I can do the cleaning?

Look up the instructions for installing the DirectStream upgrade in the PerfectWave DAC. It opens the same way.

Hi Elk,

Thanks, I just did. I do not have the tool kit with the long screws so that I can pop the unit out according to the video. Do you have any DIY suggestions?

[unnecessary quotes deleted - please use “add reply” at the top and bottom right of each page to reply instead of “quote”]

Hi Elk,

The unit is just over 3 years old. Is this an IDE or a SATA drive? This should not be too difficult an install for me. Please let me know the details – anything tricky inside there or any special tools required? I live overseas so if I had to send the unit back it would be very costly for shipping both ways. Thanks for your help.

DoE, once you get the cover off, the screws on (from the front) right side of the drive can be a little tricky to remove. There isn’t a lot of space between the screw heads and the board on the right side of the chassis. If you have something like a Chapman Tools small right angle ratchet driver, you can put in the right Phillips bit and easily remove the screws. You’ll have to be careful not to mar the screw heads if you only have a regular straight shafted screwdriver, but it can be done.

I had a different problem (my drive started clicking loudly) and a replacement was sent. Apart from what I just said it was a very easy replacement.

Duke of Earl said

The unit is just over 3 years old. Is this an IDE or a SATA drive?

I do not know, contact PS Audio.

Do try cleaning the lens first, instead of replacing the drive, as this may well take care of the issue.

I believe IDE was only used very early in production. If yours is only 3 years old it is most likely SATA.

Of course you can easily tell what it is by the connectors on the drive when you open it up.

tony22, Elk and st50maint,

Thank you for your helpful posts. I have talked to Alex at PS Audio and will be ordering the drive I need from PS Audio. Once I pop the top tomorrow I will know if it is SATA. I don’t think this is a dust problem, Elk, because the unit reads perfectly from a cold start for about 2 hours – then gives out. It’s the same story every time. It looks like I should head to the local hardware store and see if they have a right-angle ratchet driver to make my life easier.

DoE, definitely pop the top and look at the environment first. You may have a stubby screwdriver that could work.

Duke of Earl said I don't think this is a dust problem, Elk, because the unit reads perfectly from a cold start for about 2 hours -- then gives out. It's the same story every time.
This may mean there is a hardware issue, but I would still try cleaning it first - especially if you have pets. There are many inexpensive cleaning kits that do not require taking the unit apart. For that matter, some well placed blasts of compressed air may solve the issue.

I hate the idea of your spending more money and time if a simple, cheap fix will do it.