Skipping on PWT/DAC combination

I have recently had the drive in my PWT replaced, prior to replacement I had a problem with intermittent skipping on music I played. No mater what I did, changing output methods all brought the same results. I sent the PWT in to have the drive replaced. On its return I heard some of the best sound I have ever heard com from a CD. Now i used to have a Wadia 850, which had no problems reading any disc in my collection. It would occasionally lock-up, maybe two times a year. Within an hour of putting the PWT back in the system it stopped mid song and was locked up. I had to do a hard reset. It later skipped. Within the first 24 hours I had to hard reset 3 times. Seems to be a bit much. The sound was wonderful, but to have the music all of the sudden stop is upsetting.

I am looking for a solution to a very irritating problem. I not sure I want to keep the unit if this continues, it just happened again while I am writing this. I don’t know what to do. I can’t in good conscience sell it, knowing that the new owner will simply inherit the same problem. I just want to enjoy my music as I have in the past without always wondering when the next lock-up or skipping fit will occur.

Welcome, rabl1

Very frustrating. Usually a skipping/locking issue is caused by a dirty lens on the drive or or a problem with the drive itself. Given that you have replaced the drive this is highly unlikely.

I have no idea what the problem is at this point. Have you talked to PS Audio about it after getting your transport back?

rabl1 said I have recently had the drive in my PWT replaced, prior to replacement I had a problem with intermittent skipping on music I played. No mater what I did, changing output methods all brought the same results. I sent the PWT in to have the drive replaced. On its return I heard some of the best sound I have ever heard com from a CD. Now i used to have a Wadia 850, which had no problems reading any disc in my collection. It would occasionally lock-up, maybe two times a year. Within an hour of putting the PWT back in the system it stopped mid song and was locked up. I had to do a hard reset. It later skipped. Within the first 24 hours I had to hard reset 3 times. Seems to be a bit much. The sound was wonderful, but to have the music all of the sudden stop is upsetting.

I am looking for a solution to a very irritating problem. I not sure I want to keep the unit if this continues, it just happened again while I am writing this. I don’t know what to do. I can’t in good conscience sell it, knowing that the new owner will simply inherit the same problem. I just want to enjoy my music as I have in the past without always wondering when the next lock-up or skipping fit will occur.

We have found a few drives, even some replacement drives, have had problems with some discs. And it seems to be the same place on the same discs. We’ve had some success with another set of drives - and maybe contact us for another replacement which may hopefully fix it forever - wel;l, as long as “forever” can be with an electromechanical device. :slight_smile:

Paul McGowan said it seems to be the same place on the same discs.
Thanks, Paul

I have seen this when there is an issue with the disc itself and some drives are finickier than others. It never occurred to me that some drives would repeatedly have problems with certain discs when the discs themselves are fine.

Yeah, it’s weird. We purchase the drives from Asus and they come in batches - each batch from a different production run - and each a crapshoot as to what we will get. They all meet a certain standard, they all sound the same - thanks to the way the PWT is engineered - but they’re not all the same when it comes to problematic discs.