PWT performance/issues?

As a comment to one of the articles above: I used to backup my photos on CD-R’s in early 00’s. Some of them became unreadable in 2-3 years.

Because of the design you may not notice the decay of audio CD’s until they start to skip, unlike computer disks where you can’t ignore unrecoverable errors.

@Alekz:

Thank you for the links. I now understand how vulnerable the top layer of CDs is, which I didn’t know before, and a bit more about the chemical interactions that can occur and damage the disks. I was surprised by your statement that CDs only last 4-10 years since my own experience has been very different; I would now say that most CDs, if well cared for, will last a long time, but a certain percentage will deteriorate–and, of course, we don’t know which ones those will be. So I guess I will start ripping the large portion of the CD collection that I haven’t gotten to yet.

magister said: So I guess I will start ripping the large portion of the CD collection that I haven't gotten to yet.

A very wise decision. Actually, you have to rip immediately after purchasing. Less chances to scratch, damage, etc. And less backlog ;)
magister said: I was surprised by your statement that CDs only last 4-10 years

That's why:
Alekz said: Because of the design you may not notice the decay of audio CD's until they start to skip, unlike computer disks where you can't ignore unrecoverable errors.

And the key phrase is:
magister said: of course, we don't know which ones those will be.

... and when ...

wglenn said: Corvette. Different story.

An elk with great taste, and a car that tastes good.

I have never had a CD fail, pressed or burned. I do not have problem with scratches either. It takes little effort to be reasonably careful.

C2 errors are generally correctable by the player. This is typically a non-issue.

Of course, like a HD containing downloaded files, a CD can fail. Amusingly, I have had many more HDs fail than CDs. The only reasonable conclusion is downloads suck.

pmotz said: It's inevitable that CDs will go the way of LPs, they died a long time ago right?

You're right; CDs are doomed. Just like LPs.

Anyone who buys a PWD will have many happy years of CD playback.
magister said: So I guess I will start ripping the large portion of the CD collection that I haven't gotten to yet.

And since your CD's are ripped, why do you need a CD-player? ;)

Uh . . . to play those not ripped yet? :stuck_out_tongue:

First rip, then play. This is the only way to get them all ripped.

Unless, as with many of us, you already own hundreds or thousands of CDs.

Many of us are not young, noob, whippersnappers as yourself and have been in this hobby for a good while. :-*

It does not matter. If you rip before listening, all interesting cd’s will migrate to your hard disks. Meanwhile you can listen to something already ripped :wink:

BTW, I did not say - throw your CD-player away, I said: there is no reason in buying a new one, or upgrading. I also still own quite a good CD player, it’s just not connected to anything :wink:

Actually, you wrote “Spinning optical disks are dead. So are CD/DVD players,” and directed the OP to put his energy into his network. No reason to keep a dead device.

Alekz said: If you rip before listening, all interesting cd’s will migrate to your hard disks.

True, as would would be the case if one sits for hours ripping until they are all on a drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most would, however, prefer to simply quickly pop the CD in a good transport and listen.

A hard drive based system is but one of many ways to listen to music. It is far from the only way and is not for everyone.

I have four separate transports, including a PWT, connected to my main system, as well as a dedicated server in addition to analog. All work great and all have their place.

There is no reason to direct someone away from a PWT. It is a spectacular way to listen to Redbook, as well as high definition.

Elk said:
Alekz said: If you rip before listening, all interesting cd's will migrate to your hard disks.

True, as would would be the case if one sits for hours ripping until they are all on a drive. :P

No, no, no... I do not mean all CD's, but just one you are going to listen to.

I understand.

My point is ripping and tagging is time consuming and, for many, an annoying process whether one rips one CD or many at a time - especially when you could be listening to music.

With a transport, one can just pick something to listen to and immediately enjoy. CDs and transports are far from “dead.”

If you prefer an HD based system this is fine. This, however, is insufficient reason to not answer the OP’s question and to pronounce his choice irrelevant.

We have more than covered our respective positions at this point. Anything further is going to really annoy the natives.

Very true.

Speaking of the OP, unfortunately the decision is clearly a result of the frustration related to his PWD/Bridge experience. Pity…

Yes. I do not have a Bridge, but am continually saddened to read the issues and problems people have with the Bridge in addition to various software and network issues. I am thus sticking with S/PDIF coax input for my server for now.

It is kind of you and others to jump in and help these people.

Elk said: Yes. I do not have a Bridge

Arrrrgghhhhh.... I keep forgetting this.... X_X

No problem.

Just as long as I do not. :slight_smile:

I don’t do ripping and streaming and filing. I do discs. The PWT is an excellent transport in conjunction with the PWD. I’ve not since been tempted by any other Redbook transport/DAC combo or cd player. Nor tempted to add a Bridge or any other network player/computer audio setup. I don’t do portable music (only own a motorcycle) nor do I wish to download files. And I have near 20,000 discs of various sorts.

The PWT could not be a better choice for you. :slight_smile:

Alekz said Spinning optical disks are dead. So are CD/DVD players. I would suggest you to spend more time tuning/tweaking The Bridge and the network around.
As long as I have 3000 of them, they won't be dead until I am.