Qobuz vs Tidal

Qobuz for me. An aside, I recently discovered that it sounds a lot nicer in my car than ROON ARC.

1 Like

i use both, as there are a few things that the other doesn’t have. But I’d probably survive with just one. Probably would pick Qobuz.

I have a decent stereo, but I cannot tell the difference in sound quality between the two.

I use it with Roon.

Thanks everyone. I will stay with Qobuz

I asked the question after watching this video APPLE MUSIC, TIDAL or QOBUZ? The MOST POPULAR 'audiophile' streaming service (AS VOTED BY YOU 🫵🏻) - YouTube in which peoples highest vote was for Tidal.

2 Likes

I use Qobuz (annual) with Roon. Been very happy with it.

+1 for Qobuz. I’ve been a happy user for a few years now.

This is off-topic but here goes.

I streamed this album on TIDAL earlier and there’s substantial skipping on a few tracks.

Would a Qobuz subscriber check the a track for me?

• Artist: Eric Stern / Orchestra of St. Lukes
  • Album: Bernstein’s New York
  • Track: What a Waste

(about 40 seconds into the track)

Note: It’s MQA.

I subscribe to both. I don’t think about it much. It comes down to, when I search for a title, I want to hear it.

Qobuz has so many advantages it’s easy to stay with them. Ultimately, I want them to live long and prosper. Tidal is awesome if you like Hip Hop. Wish I did. It’s just so vast and varied that Hip Hop. Similar to Jazz. I have a friend who says if you want me to leave, play jazz. I told her I can correct that trait. She asked if letting her stay as she is could be an option. Sure. If I knew somebody who could demonstrate excellent Hip Hop, I would be all for it.

But not year 2000+ country music. No sir! I choose to draw the line there.

Tidal is weak. But for the price of one LP a month………

some skips, lots of clicks (Qobuz)

Listening thru Roon on Tidal on MQA (first unfold only), heard a sound at various places in the What a Waste track that sounded like a cross between a click and a pop. Stuttering also occurred in a few locations on that playback.

Like that Tidal has a 40% discount for veterans like myself. Have used it for several years. Excellent reliability. Great wealth of information there for discovering new music. Most of the new albums I add to my Tidal favorites happen to be MQA.

Have never tried Qobuz, but may some day in the future. Have learned never to say never with audio listening :grinning:

My personal belief is the recording quality has much more to do with the sound quality than the playback format. Who knows what will come about on Tidal with this MQA chapter 11? Will continue to use Tidal unless they make changes which will change my mind.

1 Like

Tidal for me… for really two reasons… it has lyrics feature which I found very helpful, allowing me to connect to the music better. Also Tesla has the Tidal apps and Qobuz does not.

Qobuz does sound better though and I like the ability to buy albums/tracks… so for those albums that I like I buy them on Qobuz.

I am hoping that Tesla will offer Qobuz integration soon!

2 Likes

Had both, kept Qobuz. Did not take long for my decision, sounds better to me.

2 Likes

Just moved to Qobuz. Nothing I own does 100% Mia so why would I stay. I do see on a few titles so far Qobuz says higher rate. I will be doing $15 plan so up 5 from Tidal using kids student status.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s my imagination but I do swear the same songs sound better on Qobuz.

2 Likes

It’s not I hear it the same way and I still have both for now though the cheaper Tidal

I’ve got the full MQA unfolding capability. I admired Tidal and MQA while using them. My move to Qobuz was cost driven but liked it for sounding like files / rips stored on my local network: more balanced, more natural.

2 Likes

Interesting. It seems I lost 6 albums in the Tidal → Qobuz transfer…probably no big deal. But Roon ARC still has everything pointing to Tidal. I even did a reset of Arc. I wonder if I have to delete the app.

Have tried both Tidal and Qobuz. I dropped Tidal and continue with Qobuz. I had a problem with Tidal, where it would not play on my Apple devices following a FW update. It took better than a month to resolve. Ultimately changed to Qobuz for the sound, selection and price. Happy camper. Should you attend Axpona 2023 Qobuz typically offers an Annual subscription at a discount.

1 Like

In Roon go into settings, under “General” scroll down to “STREAMING CONTENT PREFERENCES” and select “Prefer Qobuz”. It may help. It is a setting I use so anytime I look at a new recording the Qobuz version is selected first. It might not solve your issue, I have zero experience or interest in ARC.

Two items down is "How would you like Roon to handle MQA content? I currently have “prefer anything else over MQA”. It seems nice.

2 Likes

I followed Mr. Aangen’s settings advise to “prefer Qobuz” and “prefer anything else over MQA” and have noticed a nice improvement in sound quality.

2 Likes