Quote of the Day

Is it because they’re the least satisfied?

“If you dislike change, you’re going to dislike irrelevance even more.”

-General (Ret.) Eric Shinseki

4 Likes

Just keep it cogent… :innocent:

Saliency irrelevant :grin:

I know I won’t ever find all the music I could have liked - Brett Barden

I believe this is the longest thread I’ve started, by far. Hope you’re all well and enjoying life. My thoughts go out to those that are suffering.

3 Likes

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music!”

Aldons Huxley

1 Like

“Leaders often assume that failures will lead to valuable learning. Our data doesn’t support that assumption.” — Jeanne Ross and Nils Fonstad, research scientists, MIT Center for Information Systems Research

1 Like

Those who tell the stories rule society.

Plato

1 Like

Another one of those phrases attributed to a speaker or speakers, but for which no authoritative citation exists.

Quitters never win, Winners never quit, But those who never win and never quit are idiots.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

If a company’s directors are not digitally savvy, they’re really putting the future of their company at risk.

Stephanie Woerner MIT CISR Research Scientist

“A Friend In Need Is A Pest”
WC Fields

1 Like

A friend with weed is a friend indeed - too common to be attributed

1 Like

Except that explanation is the modern day spin by NPR (Nancy Pelosi Radio). While talking about the taxation imposed by the Pennsylvania Assembly, Franklin was in fact speaking about broader rights. Google isn’t always your friend.

There’s always an arse**le who needs to politicize everything. Sigh!

4 Likes

The description I have provided is consistent with many sources, including biographies of Franklin.

If you have a credible citation to a legitimate historical source which is contrary I am interested. But I have no interest in the politicized biased self-serving claims of a commentator/entertainer, etc.

1 Like

It was not I who drew the first politized spin to try and rewrite history. For anyone to state what Benjamin Franklin meant by his words, is in fact substituting their own thought and biases. Unless you have a source that identifies what he said regarding his writings, you are introducing a bias.

Benjamin Franklin on the trade off between essential liberty and temporary safety (1775) | Online Library of Liberty (libertyfund.org)

The phrase was part of Ben Franklin’s Reply to the Governor, 11 November 1755. Franklin was part of a committee of the Pennsylvania’s Assembly with the task of responding to Pennsylvania’s Governor’s urging the Assembly to pass a militia law and provide funds for defense following Indian attacks at Penn’s Creek and other places.

You will note that the letter is between Franklin as a member of the Pennsylvania Assembly and Pennsylvania’s governor. It was not “part of an American delegation sent to Britain in an attempt to resolve the outstanding disagreements between the Crown and the colonies” as the article you cite claims. (Note the lack of any citation to any authority or reference in the article you cited.)

Here are Ben Franklin’s words in their entirety.

4 Likes

1 Like

6 Likes

And then…the hunt for more music to further test their gear… :grinning: :innocent:
an enjoyable never ending saga…

Thanks Serhan

1 Like