Recording/Mixing question

Given his long standing drug addiction. He was always the highest member in any ensemble he played in.

3 Likes

Sadly, that didn’t differentiate him from most of the others.

1 Like

In cut 14 take 4 of song on this Album his trumpet just blast at about 6 foot tall out of the Left side sound stage. I often use it as a system demo track due to its energy and ability to present a live stage.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better @RonP, I’ve been sensing height quite a bit in regards to stereo playback. It puzzles me but it doesn’t trouble me.

Enjoy, don’t analyze.

(But if you get an answer, drop me a note)

I’m just curious about something that I enjoy.
And there are folks here who present themselves as recording engineers. I guess there isn’t an easy answer.

1 Like

I can take a stab at a few observations. Most speakers have tweeters above woofers. We think of high frequencies as high and low as physically lower. That could also just be because a lot of woofers and subs are on or near the floor.

Bright sounds seem to go up into the room above the speakers. I can’t recall ever feeling like I was hearing the bass coming from above the treble in the room.

Spacious-sounding instruments and reverberant recording spaces, and/or reverbs tend to reinforce that height sorta thing. If you hear a piano played in a nice hall, it seems you can hear the sound going up. Of course you and the piano are positioned on the floor - the bottom of the “box” of the hall.

I can imagine situations where phase differences in the mic array - relative to Miles’ horn, say - reinforce this as well.

I just have never heard or read engineers discuss it, or that there were techniques for causing it to happen. I doubt very much anyone doing the Miles recording you mentioned were thinking about it - if they’d even heard of it. I am of course talking traditional stereo here.

There is a lot of dicussion of “big” and “wide” and “deep”, however.

2 Likes

There is this Chesky setup and test CD:

(available on Amazon) that features something called a “Ledr” (Listening Environment Diagnostic Test).test.

Explanation here:

It consists of a series of computer-generated tones (noises really) that seemingly float around your speakers - assuming they are properly set up. Which is the point of the test.

There is a set of tones that begins in one of the channels and then rises in an arc that crests between (and above) the speakers and continues on the path of the arc to end at about eye-level of the speaker of the opposite channel.

Cool stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you Beef.

1 Like