REL, SVS or JL...?

That helps Brett, thanks. I was just looking at there website (Ascend)

Good news. I would have bought a pair of F12’s from them but just couldn’t get the communication chain connected. They may have been busy or maybe at a stereo show but no reply turned into no sale for me. They were at the top of my short list until the comm trouble.

1 Like

That’s why I haven’t invited you to visit…

2 Likes

Look at the Rythmik speaker, their SERVO are very nice :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m very interested in buying one of their L12 subwoofer, everything about that sub looking great :stuck_out_tongue: specially for the price

I did, I like de FM8’s

Do you will set the crossover in the upper bass? as i saw those 2x8’’ are for upper bass, but i think the F12G will suit better if you set the crossover at 80HZ

I have two REL T/9i’s in one system and two JLA d110’s in another. A pair of either can be had at your price point. JL Audio assembles their subs in Florida from a mix of US and foreign components. In an era of globalization 100% domestically made anything is an impossible yardstick, but yes the origin of manufacture of the d110’s were a factor in my decision making process. Those are the more recent acquisition for my system #2. I don’t equate SVS with JLA. For a US brand, I have a strong preference for JL Audio. Just me.

I know, but it’s for audio only and I’ll buy two.

Thanks. How did you work the “phase” thing. Or do I put to much weight on that…?

1 Like

My suggestion is to read up on RELs approach to dialing in both cross-over point and phase. REL documents it in their operating manuals. I do think continuously variable phase is a plus, but I’ve been able to get good results with my RELs anyway with two fixed options 0 and 180. The JLAs support continuously variable phase.

I know there are more sophisticated approaches (which I’ve tried) using sound pressure level measurements. But I’ve actually not achieved better results any more satisfying with that method of dialing in subs than I have with the straight forward REL method. All you need are some LF test tones (I prefer that to music, I find it much easier to dial in for best flat response and optimized phase with a sine sweep). You can find those on-line at various sites.

Highly recommend a pair of REL’s. I have a pair of REL S/5 SHO’s with wireless Longbow’s… Sound great! Yes, they are piano gloss black!

Totally agreed, the REL method was the best and easiest method I’ve come across.

1 Like

Loving my stereo REL S812s with the blue line cables connected to my MC462. I’d get two more if I thought it was at all necessary. Maybe someday, but using their website for suggestions (which is super nice, btw), dual S812s was already a bit more than the automated system suggested.

My understanding is current Rel subs are made in China.

I recommend Paradigm Prestige 1000SW subs which use Anthem electronics. All component are made in their Canadian factory.

1 Like

The cost of the blue line cables, for a pair in a usable length, induces a gag reflex though. Considering how specialized they are. I’ve yet to get past that barrier. In all candor, were they worth the hefty price? The 812s I get … they would be completely overwhelming in my smallish space but boy I was sorely tempted by the S series before settling on the T/9i’s.

My understanding is Martin-Logan subs are built in Canada as well. True?

Maybe not. I’m not the biggest believer in cables to begin with. I did have nice AudioEnvy sub cables connected low level at one point, which were immediately used in a different system. High or dry.

thats on my list next

Would have to check with Marin Logan which appears to be based on Kanas.

I second dawkinsj. Two Rythmik F12SE’s here too. If you want fancier/stouter boxes Jim Salk does a great job in wrangling everything these great subs have to offer with his implementation. He’s is pretty reasonable with a straight forward box but will go as custom as you want as well.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Rythmik+12+Subwoofer