Repaired and working again after 30 years in storage

12 Likes

Good stuff John- what tubes does it use?

1 Like

Very nice, have a set sitting in my equipment closet. They have not been powered-up since the mid '90s. I believe I have the originl tubes and a spare set to boot. I also have a project piece that I never got around to, a Dynaco FM-3 as new never assembled. With FM being what it is today, no chance of it every being powered up. More of a museum piece than anything.

1 Like

It uses a whole bunch of different tubes:

6X4
6BN6
6AU6
6U8
6BS8/6BQ7A
12AT7
2 x 12AU7
6BL8

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time I listened to FM prior to today. I did find a decent radio station while hunting around for something to play today.

Something I found interesting is that this tuner can pick up the radio stations much better than the tuners that are in modern receivers. I wonder why that is?

1 Like

I don’t know why but I am not surprised.

1 Like

I’d say the key is a good alignment and strong FM antenna setup.
When listening to FM I typically use a Winegard dedicated yagi FM antenna mounted on a high mast with a CDE Ham II rotor. Tuners are either a Kenwood 5020 or Mitsubishi DA-F20. Great sounding and can pull in a signal within 90 miles.

1 Like

Here is a photo of my antenna and my setup is in a basement. :smiley:

Modern receiver gets one or two stations with antenna like that. This receiver gets 8 stations.

1 Like

I installed that antenna some time ago, when FM was worthy of the investment. If I had to do it today…
Well I’d just stream, :blush:

1 Like

Mycrowave…I had the same experience with my Fisher 800c receiving fm in perfect stereo
from over 100 miles away with no adjacent channel interference.

My take is better gain stages offered by the if amp stages along with tube amplification
a case where seemingly ss doesn’t cut it…at the time I also was using a Denon TU 800
tuner which was touted be able to “haul em in” was oblivious to the same stations.

Old fashioned if stages my Fisher has 4 if amp stages…rule!!

2 Likes

For those truly into FM check this out:

2 Likes

H.H. Scott had a selling-point of claiming the tuning condenser fins of the FM front end in their tuners were all silver plated (which, one would think?: made them more sensitive and corrosion resistant). Their 4310; along with the: Marantz 10b; Fisher TX-1000; and Sequerra FM-1 are some of the most High End broadcast quality tuners ever made in home audio history.

1 Like