Rest in Peace, Dusty Hill

See the legends you want to see while you can.

9 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I just heard a podcast recently with Billy Gibbons where he talked about ZZ Top getting ready to tour again.

RIP Dusty, you will be greatly missed.

4 Likes

Sad news indeed, Glad I saw them back in the day, they really put on a fun show.

1 Like

The world is a little more clean-shaven today! Sad.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well, if you gotta go, just not waking up is a pretty good way to do it. Those guys were fun.

3 Likes

They are on tour now.

3 Likes

Hot, Blue and Righteous.

Bought Tres Hombres when it first came out. My basement was a popular high school destination to hear that album cranked on the old Zenith Stereo Console. Just a few months ago listened to it on Qobuz. Was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded. Not just the music, but the recording.

RIP Dusty. Maybe some beer drinkin’ and hell raisin’ on a different plane.

2 Likes

I saw ZZ Top way back in '75 when their hit Tush was all over the radio. Good times. :woozy_face:

RIP Dusty, and thanks for the low notes.

4 Likes

RIP Dusty Hill, you are one of the greats.

1 Like

You gotta love a great trio. Often had to remind myself that The Who was instrumentally a trio, feat. (as they would put it nowadays) a great vocalist. Of course when Pete or John was singing, it was a trio with a 4th guy swinging a mic heavily duct taped to a very long XLR around.

This is not to diss Roger in any way. He raised the level of the band to what they became. I felt for him, frankly, in those moments. As a singer, what do you do while one of the greatest trios in Rock and Roll is doing a tune without you?

Agreed. Those brief moments when Genesis would perform live as just a trio remain one of my favorite memories of live shows. And not only when they would put Mike Rutherford on the drums, either.

1 Like

Saw ZZ Top a looong time ago - before anyone had ever heard of them hardly - supporting their first album. Three guys in jeans and T-shirts blasting rip-your-face-off TX boogie.

This was at an outdoor farm concert venue in Ohio. Out in the weeds. Oh, wait . . . There was weed involved, but I can’t remember the rest.

Then, saw them again years later at a Halloween concert as a “big” act. The first one as relative unknowns stands out, though.

1 Like

Saw ZZ Top for the first time at Madison Square Garden in NYC circa 1991 (I am envious of the folks in this thread who saw them in the 1970’s). Wild show, complete with the spinning fur guitars and the dual treadmills built into the stage on which Billy and Dusty would ‘moonwalk.’ I went directly to the show from my office so I was wearing a suit and tie. Got dirty looks from the leather-clad outlaw bikers sitting near me, but they left me alone when they realized I knew the lyrics to the early stuff, which they did not. :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Reminds me of the time another young Air Force guy and I went to see Indigo Girls. We…stood out. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I love the early ZZ Top stuff…before they found synths. Although I don’t love the later stuff, I’m glad they did it because they deserved all the success they achieved. There’s guys you just root for to hit it big and get rich and live the life. ZZ Top is those guys.

2 Likes

Yep. The second show I mentioned featured the fur guitars and treadmills

The opening act was John Mayall, which was also cool.

1 Like

Going to see the current iteration of King Crimson this summer. And got to see Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets when they last toured. I’m not going to miss out on the legends when I can possibly see them. ZZ Top was going to play at the Rose late this summer too. I’ll have to think about seeing them too if they don’t cancel.

Ironically, the one concert I’m most excited to see is The Musical Box this fall. Hopefully it doesn’t get waved off again.

Very cool. The Black Crowes opened the MSG show I attended.

Billy says Dusty told him that ZZ Top should keep performing without him. That’s cool (if true), but to me it is not ZZ Top without Dusty. Maybe going forward Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard and Dusty’s replacement should call the new trio “Billy and Frank Play ZZ Top” (with a nod to Dweezil’s band, originally named “Zappa Plays Zappa”).