RIP Neil Peart

This is getting to be a bummer. But goes with the Territory, I guess.:metal:t2:

1 Like

Man this really hits home. Fantastic drummer and lyricist. I’ve listened to so much Rush over the years I don’t even know where to start. Very sad.

2 Likes

Oh, sh*t. Dammmmmmmmmit.

2 Likes

Very sad. I wonder if this was part of the reason, beyond the physical wear on his body, to close out Rush?

Moving Pictures was the album that I used to learn the best bias adjustments for all the different premium cassette tape media types available in ~1983. I can’t say how many times I dropped the needle on that album. Saw them play 4 or 5 times through the years as well.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, yes. Pop has its classical music and its original practitioners are becoming superannuated.

1 Like

This is truly awful news. What a fantastic talent he was as a drummer (best rock drummer ever?), lyricist, and author. We have lost one of the greats way too soon.

3 Likes

I knew the guys in the late 60’s and early 70’s we’re similarly aged and Neil wasn’t the original drummer. A fellow named John was but he got bumped because of drugs and friction. We played Frisbee in an area called Yorkville in central Toronto. It was where the musicians and hippies hung out. They were talented from the start and succeeded.

2 Likes

Felt this was in order. Thanks for everything you genius.

6 Likes

Fu$& I hope this doesn’t get edited. Magnificent drummer and fellow adventure motorcyclist. Not fair that he endured so much pain losing his wife and daughter within the past few years. DAMN!

4 Likes

Nice article about Neil Peart here: National Review - “Remembering …Rock’s Greatest Drummer…”

5 Likes

Another nice article about The Professor.

4 Likes

That’s a nice read thanks for posting:)

2 Likes

Yet another good one.

Remembering Neil Peart, A Monster Drummer With A Poet’s Heart - https://www.npr.org/2020/01/11/795555335/remembering-neil-peart-a-monster-drummer-with-a-poets-heart

3 Likes

POLL: Was Neil Peart the best rock drummer?

• Yes.
  • Hell yes!
  • Neil Peart was the best rock drummer in the whole world, and I would have stood on Ginger Baker’s coffee table in my cowboy boots and said that.

0 voters

3 Likes

He was the opposite of Ginger Baker.
He too, was a brilliant musician, but he was an intellectual and it was fun to listen to him speak. And his books are good reads. Again, nothing like the typical rocker book about being a drug addled imbecile.

5 Likes

Option 3 might lead to yet another obituary :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love Rush, but, best drummer? Really? He had an incredible case, and great style, for sure.

1 Like

A lot of the “best drummer” polls you see (Rolling Stone, etc) usually place Bonham at #1 and either Baker or Peart at #2…but does it matter? They were all great drummers.

4 Likes

Phil Collins -caveat - IN HIS PRIME - is surely in the mix. Listening to what he could do during the “Selling England by the Pound” “The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway” period is epic. He didn’t keep his chops up like the rest (he fell in love with drum machines) but AT HIS BEST, he was among the very best.

4 Likes