RIP Charlie Watts

So sad to hear about Rolling Stones legend passing today.

https://www.rollingstone.com/?_gl=1hserm3_ga*YW1wLXB3eElDalZDMUlIVzJBMENseUxObTB1cXo3MnBldkhMQWtRSFktSmNKR2g1a0VVZWQ3VzY2TVBMVGZBc3NfVms.

7 Likes

Very sad, RIP Charlie.

1 Like

I didn’t know this happened and thank you for posting. Peace out Charlie.

1 Like

RIP. To paraphrase Tom Paxton, if when we die we go somewhere, I bet you a dollar he’s drumming there.

5 Likes

RIP Charlie. A buddy sent this pic of him with Rush.

8 Likes

Damn!

I’ve seen the Stones 5 times and now I know there won’t be a sixth. :cry:

2 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

Charlie had some moves!!!

2 Likes

Godspeed Charlie

4 Likes

I think I’ve listened to Charlie Watts with the Stones and other bands on pretty much every viable format since I was a kid. LP, 8-track, cassette, reel-to-reel, Betamax (personal rips from LP), CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD, and streaming (16bit all the way to DSD64).

Thanks Charlie, I hope your next kit and gig are the best yet!

6 Likes

Rip Charlie. His drum set up and sound were the best that I ever heard in my 76 years. I just loved his timeless style.

4 Likes

Nothing against drummers who are still with us but I think its safe to say the greatest drummers we have ever heard are in heaven together now!

5 Likes

My Son two years was attending Army Boot Camp and a year earlier, I’d waited “in line” online via TicketBastard. The Concert was before Boot Camp and after High School Graduation. Jagger got sick so everything was delayed. We were thinking until November/December time frame. Nope. October and his job training was to conflict with the revised concert date here in Phoenix, AZ. We were both bummed about cause his prime motive was to see Charlie Watts in action. He likes The Stones but loves Charlie Watts’ Drumming. Yesterday rubbed a bit of salt in the wound for him.

Having seen the The Stones in '89, '02, & '03. I’m good. But my Son saw Ringo, Neil Peart, Zak Starkey for those reasons only. To see the men behind the kits. Seeing Charlie Watts play live just once would have been a thrill for him. I sold the Concert tix. My Wife wanted to go but she’s not a Stones fan and the guilt would have killed me emotionally. Godspeed Mr. Watts.

Today my Son turns to me in the Car. That’s it Dad, they’re all gone or they just can’t play anymore due to health issues. Except for Ringo of course.

3 Likes

The story that goes with that photo is great. A friend of mine sent it along to me:

"Neil Peart met Charlie Watts just before going on stage at the SARS Benefit show in Toronto. This is how Neil described it:

'A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn’t hear. Thinking “Now who’s THIS?” I took out one of my ear monitors and said “Sorry, I couldn’t hear you.”

'He spoke again, smiling, “Hello, I’m Charlie Watts.”

'“Oh!” I said, taken aback, “Hello.” And I shook his hand.

'He asked if we were going on soon, and I said, yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, “I’m going to watch you!”

'I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on the T.A.M.I. Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie’s beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.

'Geddy emailed me later and mentioned that scene:

‘“BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of… a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh, for god’s sake it’s Charlie Watts!”’

5 Likes

Very Cool! Had not heard that. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like