Room Acoustic Measurements (REW) Rabbit Hole

…and acoustic room treatments addressing the “usual suspects”.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

The sound is manipulated way before going onto recording or at a live concert venue. To make up for deficiencies in surroundings. Tothink our rooms are not affecting it and a one size fits all recording that has been averaged to what might sound best for earbuds, car stereos, kitchens and living rooms gets a bitt silly. No one size fits all be it condoms or circus tents, after all it’s just entertainment.

2 Likes

I wish I could afford it…

I have the same, relative experience/results with ARC (Anthem Room Correction).

FWIW.

1 Like

Agreed. The only caveat is that regarding low frequencies eq has a tendency to yield better results than big bass traps in the room. And a higher WAF, also…

That is very interesting. Can you and @aangen share the target curves you are using to dial the eq?

1 Like

I don’t work with “target curves” per se (at least I don’t set them).

ARC shoots for a nominal room response without messing up the higher frequencies too much. I believe it has an appropriate light touch in this regard.

I have some recent results posted on the forum elsewhere. I’ll try to link to them.

[As promised: Room Correction Results]

Great! In my old Anthem, I was able to adjust the ARC target curve. This is one of the most time consuming effort, to me second only to speaker placement. Fine tuning your ideal response.

2 Likes

Possibly you are following the default target curve, and could edit this a bit.

You can clearly see a low shelf in bass adding 2dB of gain from, and then mostly flat from there. I can see why you feel the highs more prominent. Normally, the highs would be -3dB gain per octave from 1khz onwards (like the so called “Harman curve”).

I myself use a target curve very similar to this. I also like the more “air” and detail that this kind of treble response achieves.

1 Like

I remember posting these references in a thread but couldn’t remember when, why, or where until finding them in this AVNirvana thread this morning.

At the time I was contemplating additional treatments to tame peaks and ringing < 300 Hz. After mostly digesting this (a lot remains over my head) and related small room acoustics stuff I came to understand that effective treatments would be too costly and aesthetically unacceptable.

This may now be trailing edge technology but, for the cost of REW (contribution) / UMIK-1 and a mini-DSP SHD, I have a very flexible solution that resolved the primary problem of low frequency (< 100 Hz) resonances.

These were of particular help:
A Beginners Guide to Room EQ Wizard (REW)
Adventures in Waterfalling: Understanding Signal Levels in Time-Domain Graphs
Adventures in Waterfalling Part Deux: Multiple Subs, Free Bass Traps, and More
EQ Does Improve Bass Decay
"Fixed Link_https://diracdocs.com/on_room_correction.pdf"
In depth conversation with Dirac’s Mathias Johansson

3 Likes

MiniDSP UMIK 1 mic arrived today and I’ve just installed it, calibration (90 deg) included. It works.

Next step will be connecting the MacBook Pro to MSB DAC via USB. Tomorrow.

Now I need a few Jazz albums to relax, it was another hard day at work today. I need, I want… music now! Meanwhile I’ll read more documents about REW settings.

4 Likes

Start with Track 3 from this record.

You know the one. :wink:

Never fails to calm me and set the mood…

Ciao

2 Likes

Great album, thanks.

I’m playing these…

3 Likes

I’ll have to look these up.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Luca, I did the REW before to check if there were differences between my left and right speakers and that prompted me to recap the crossovers.

I will now REW them to compare before v after and to see how it all works out in my room.

Getting it to work the first time was time consuming since the instructions are not clear. After that, click and go.

Use 1/12 smoothing so the graphs are usable…

I’ll follow this thread and might post some of my measurements.

2 Likes

Measured room response before ORC

Target Room Response, measured above, filter settings below.

Measured Room Response after correction.
Again, room measurement above, Room Correction Filter below.

As you can see, it boosted the highs quite a bit. I have no complaints.

(It took four minutes total to accomplish this. Sadly, I had to sit still for 30 seconds twice. I almost couldn’t do it)

So yes, everyone is correct in thinking you should try to fix issues with Room problems before you do this. But at what cost? And how do you know if your treatments hurt or help?

Instead of all that study and expense, I had to sit still for 30 seconds.

I prefer my way.

By the way, these measurements were made with microphones deep in each ear. The big drop centered at 6500hz is what the pinea causes. If the final frequency response, measured with the same microphones were to be flattened in that frequency range the sound would be unbearably bright.

5 Likes

PDG!

(Pretty Darn Good)

1 Like

It seems nice.

1 Like

“Hump…what hump? (Young Frankenstein). That adjusted response is pretty impressive, even the bump in HF seems to be beyond much of what we can hear up there.

4 Likes

That bump is 5khz to 10khz. Everyone should hear that.

1 Like