Thanks! Honestly I’m not missing them at the moment, so subs will stay sleeping for a while. I like the sound I’m hearing and it’s enough for me now!
As always says Vince, less is more.
Time will tell, I’ll keep them in the garage, who knows… maybe one day…
It’s good to be in a happy place.
Enjoy the music! (no TT required
)
You, too? Is it a conspiracy?!?!?
Yes. At least two people in the group. We are in good company.
Make it three.
I dont have the patience or mental ability to keep track of all of the variables involved.
It’s much better just to push play on the streaming program of choice and enjoy the music.
My brain is with you, my heart absolutely not!
I currently use the CR-1. But I have read (mainly in this forum) that others have heard both low level xovers like the CR-1 and miniDSP vs high level REL integration with speakers and the High level sounds better. I have not tried that yet.
In my room (I should say old room) the CR-1 with convolution filter in Roon worked great. all the boominess gone and and great deep bass. Always wondered what two RELs at high level with EQ would have sounded like in comparison.
Are you using the JLink or are you wired?
wired. I also used the bypass on the CR-1 so the 2.1 could be used for theater as well. kept stereo and HT separate systems in same room basically.
I dont think that high level (speaker input) is needed for powered subs as they take the input signal and run it through another amp and DSP anyway.
It might be a selling point but I would call BS on the claim.
That process alone would strip off any of the “flavor” of the high level signal.
I know Paul has made a few videos on why he thinks its better. Characteristics of the amp make it match the L/R signals etc… Others have said it just sounds better. Again, I did not try the speaker level. maybe next room I will add two .
Turntables are wonderful once you spend $80k or so.
@minnesotafats was setting his crossover to his subs at 35hz which I thought was incorrect. I have mine set to 30hz. I am now a believer. My main speakers are definitely full range but adding the subs for the very bottom of the range really widens the soundstage width dramatically.
Yup. If you get the subs xover set too high the speakers and subs step on each others toes too much.
Today I definitely removed the Subs from the room and without them I noticed a slightly difference in sound, even considering they were switched off in the room, so I took a few measurements.
I’ve also moved the speakers 2 inches backwards and positioned the Black Box in the left corner.
Despite the graphs I’m really liking the final result. REW is useful when you want to see what’s happening indeed. Having said that, the subjective perspective plays a huge role IMO. I got funny feedback from this experience.
In a home listening environment I dont think it gets much better than what you have without adding in more complexity (DSP).
Thanks for sharing your experience and yes it does help to understand how sound is influenced in a large part by the room. The room really is the outer wall of the speaker and we are sitting inside it.
I still haven’t had time to try the same thing here but the list of things that the house needs done is getting pretty short.
Maybe I will get some time in the next few weeks.
The listening experience is all we are really after and it sounds like you have found it!
Congrats on your efforts. ![]()
Thanks, Baldy. I hope this thread can be useful to others in the future. I could never have done the job without your help (and that of a few others), thank you so much again.
Maybe one day I too will dive into the DSP rabbit hole. I have one of my dealers who is convincing me to go this route, he would personally measure and install what is needed at home (I assume with a custom built DDRC-22D MiniDSP). But this thing seems to have AES/EBU IN and OUT between the server/streamer and the DAC and in my system I have to use both IN and OUT via USB.
Time will tell.
You could also use a MiniDSP SHD which has both XLR and RCA in / out an can go between the preamp and power amp. It can be bypassed via remote control at any time so easy A/B comparisons could be made.
I have one but have not connected it yet. And may not ever. ![]()
By the time I get around to hooking up the SHD or using REW my BACCH ADIO may be here and make the other two obsolete.
I’m still a bit of a novice with a modest setup including some GIK treatments. I opted to use a miniDSP SHD to manage room mode peaks. I like the results. The SHD also provides a handy backup for the times I need a spare DAC or preamp.
I prefer to look at my room measurements using 1/12 smoothing but understand:
- what we hear is better represented by the Psychoacoustic filter
- our ears are more sensitive to peaks than nulls
- a bit of elevated bass is generally pleasing to the ear.
Regardless of what the 1/12 measurements show your preference for no subs is seems to agree with these general statements. This is a very interesting result considering how well controlled your room is including noise floor.
All good observations and yes it’s good to not get too caught up in the numbers as they are really “for reference only” and should be taken with a grain of salt.




