Roon 2.0 fails without Internet. Anyone with alternatives for DirectSteam DAC?

Interesting. I don’t have any objections to Euphony. However, the main reason a lot of people, like me, use Roon is because of its search and classification features, especially for classical.

What’s that like with Euphony? A lot of software provide Tidal, Qobuz etc integration, serve up files to the DAC etc; but for a classical enthusiast with a large local library, it’s search that matters to me.

I have used Euphony with Bridge 2 but normally I went the Matrix route. It has zero problems with Bridge 2.

I normally ran Euphony in Roon mode. But my point is you can run it many ways. If your internet connection fails you have easy alternatives.

Nothing is just like Roon. But my point is its nice to have alternatives in the same device.

I too am heavily invested in classical music. I have spent a great deal of time and effort tagging my files so that I can search in ways that work well for me. Some time ago (2–3 years?) I checked out Roon. I found that it used its own metadata and would not work with the tags that I have defined. This was a complete non-starter for me. Perhaps this has changed in the interval, and perhaps Roon’s metadata for classical music has improved. But the system I have works very well.

1 Like

Thank you for this information. I was not familiar with Euphony. It seems to have lots of useful features, flexibility, and, in my case, I appreciate the ability to work with Bridge II.

1 Like

+1 for Innuos Sense. Or a Bluesound might make you just as happy.

2 Likes

They let you experience it for free for a month……

Also +1 on Innuos Sense (and the Zen MkIII).

I was running Roon ROCK on a NUC and was considering upgrading to Nucleus+ prior to the 2.0 upgrade. I’m one of the ‘disgruntled’, partly due to functionality as I do use my core offline for a week at a time in a location with no internet every month or so. But mostly due to the customer service/responses/attitudes around the release. Not the company I thought I was buying into with a lifetime license 5 years ago.

That said, I’ve been trialing the Innuos Zen MkIII with Sense. Great SQ, and a pretty slick interface, providing most of what I did with Roon. Also has multi-room playback to any UPnP device (including the Sonos speakers I have scattered about). USB to the DSjr sounds awesome.

Transfer was painless, moved about 1200 albums from my NUC to the Zen, very little metadata clean-up, up and running in an afternoon. Not a cheap alternative, but considering I was thinking Nucleus+ anyway, not a bad upgrade in the end.

I’m finding it a great alternative.

4 Likes