Seeking Cable Recommendation for DIY trigger cables?

I added a link after I posted.

1 Like

Those look real nice, exactly what I was envisioning. How did you secure the Techflex under the connector cap?

I either used super glue or a small piece of shrink tube that has glue on the inside. I can’t remember :disappointed:

I use both methods often. It depends on how much room there is in the shell. I am leaning towards glue with this one, but I can’t swear to it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience.

1 Like

It may look pretty but electrically it is better if cables are randomly located to minimize interference.

1 Like

This is what I use to help with that:

ERICKHILL EMF Meter, Rechargeable Digital Electromagnetic Field Radiation Detector Hand-held Digital LCD EMF Detector, Great Tester for Home EMF Inspections, Office, Outdoor and Ghost Hunting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BLJM28J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_Y4J0TV0T4V8JGFCZZS0J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Have you found this to be an effective tool? Forty bucks, I’ll have to order one.

I have been messing around with it. I got it around December and have only used it a few times on my main rig. I have found there’s more noise near the IEC then anywhere else.

Since I use Furutech connectors I am going to experiment with the
Furutech CF-080 Suppressor AC Connector Damping Rings. These are designed to cover the IEC and shield them. I think this is where @vmax’s idea of using foil may have had the most impact. It may also be why the Stealth Tuning rings seem to have the most impact near the connector.

I need to test the meter on my office rig. It’s my second best rig, but does have what I would consider lesser quality cabling then the main rig in the living room.

2 Likes

I found that the zuning ring entirely switched end from wanting to be on male end on Whisper Elite to Router LPS female end on the Pre Processor. That tells me it addresses more than just leakage. Whereas stealth was opposite on the male end same pre processor.

2 Likes

It seems like you are hearing what I am seeing. Most of the noise is on the ends of the cables. I see more on the IEC and less on the male end. I also see virtually no noise on the rest of my cords. It makes sense. It’s where there’s the least amount of shielding.

I have a pair of Furutech 50 NCF that I am going to use on a new cord. I am hoping they help lower radiated noise.

2 Likes

I wonder if it is because most IEC connectors grip so poorly? I need to study tuning ring positioning better. I found you can clean it up too much and tlt all the focus on your high end so poor sources sound like crap. I tried to watch TV and the commercials were killing me. I had to roll absorber back up to the other end of the power cord. Tuning ring that can adjust itself based on source would be a perfect world. Sound can be such a dichotomy to chase. Perhaps I need to look at RoomPerfect voicing for TV that bring up the alow a frequency for annoying compressed commercials.

1 Like

I think the problem with connectors is that fact that once the cable is inside the connector, all of the shields are pulled away to expose the conductors so they can be stripped and put into the lugs.

I think that’s why we see shielded connectors on better cables. Take a look at the specs of the 50 NCF when you get a chance.

1 Like

Man, you guys are sending me down another rabbit hole. Now I have to ask, what power cable are you using with the Furutech 50 NCF plugs?

3 Likes

You really want to dive into a deep rabbit hole with that question!

2 Likes

What have you got?

1 Like

For trigger cables or power cables? Trigger cables I went cheapo with Monoprice. Power cables I use Audioquest Hurricane. Duncan’s Whisper cable would be my next choice since the of the Audioquest Dragon cost.

2 Likes

I was just thinking about this today. I have two choices right now. Either Furutech DPS-4.1 or a home built cable that starts out with Star Quad (12 AWG X 4) for the Neutral and Hot and a 10 AWG that’s wrapped around the jacket opposite to the twist of the Star Quad. I think I posted this 1.5M cable a month or two ago, it has a Furutech FI-48 NCF IEC. Currently in use from the wall to a P10.

2 Likes

I like it. :+1:

1 Like

I have several AQ Hurricane Source/High Current PCs, no complaints. I have been meaning to check out Duncan’s Whisper cables. I heard him say on the last podcast that there was someone in this forum currently using them, but I haven’t seen any posts on the topic.

Check out this.

1 Like