SGCD remote triggering my OLED TV

Typically the complaint centers on LG televisions.

1 Like

I have put in a request with LG to help resolve the issue (not that I have any power, but if others go onto their “chat”, it might help)

Elk, this is what I was responding to. Probably should have quoted it, but was just saying not an issue with Samsung and Panasonic. Samsung is a major player in TV’s here in the US, so I thought a counter to the “pretty much every” comment was needed. Sadly, Panasonic is no longer in the US TV market.

1 Like

I have an LG OLED and a Samsung TV in the same room. The Samsung is not affected in any way when using the SGCD remote, just the LG

1 Like

When it’s one hifi company with remotes that effect quite a few different TV brands/models, then why would taking up the issue with the TV company be the thing to do? That’s like complaining to the DOT because the tires on your car wear down every few years.

So is LG, so is Vizio, so is Sony.

The Samsung I’m referring to is one of those 65" curved screens, the Sony a 70" flat screen. Both around the $3k mark, whereas my 65" Hisense is only something like $700.

The PSA remote messes with both of the Hisense TV’s and Vizio quite easily with a single click. The Samsung and Sony usually takes some kind of 2 click combination, like two clicks up or down on the volume or scrolling through the inputs.

As I said before, we tried various other remotes, probably a dozen or more, and only the PSA remote effected all of the TV’s, and none of the other remotes.

Anywho…

That is bizarre that one Samsung TV is affected while another Samsung TV is not. What could potentially cause this to be the case?

No idea.

I will have access to another Samsung and Sony TV this evening. Is there any particular combo of buttons to try on the remote?

I have a funny story about my typed “conversation” with LG. I mentioned PS Audio several times in my conversation, their response…what is PS Audio…a soundbar?? When I mentioned that PS Audio was high-end stereo company that has great sounding preamplifiers and power amplifiers, they then took my question more seriously.

Again, no idea. That was over a year ago when I did that little “test” if you want to call it that. I just know it was highly annoying.

I have a similar irritating problem with my LG LED. Here’s a sad story for ya. I rearranged my living room during the Holidays with my LG located at the wall opposite my audio rig. That’ll fix the problem I naively told myself. Not! I still find my LG programmed Harmony remote does a bangup job of switching on my BHK Pre when I don’t want it to even though I’m aiming 180 deg away from it. Why? My guess is because a flat finished wall that looks visually non-relective is likely to look more like a mirror in the IR.
Heavy sigh!

Tried the PS Audio remote on 2 additional Samsung TV’s and 2 Sony TV’s, in addition to the already tested room that contains both a Samsung and LG. Out of a total of 6 TV’s, only 1 TV had remote issues. The LG.

So, I have an LG OLED C9 TV and a PS Audio DirectStream DAC in the same room and haven’t had any issues. What buttons on the remote trigger the TV and in what way? I have the optical out of the TV going into the Optical In of the DS when I want a move playing through my 2 channel (by the way it is the first system that has competed with a movie theater…incredible to hear a move through a revealing system).

On the SGCD remote, pressing input 7 makes the LG OLED want to update.
Pressing the right balance control on the SGCD remote causes the LG OLED to want to change display mode from 16:9 to other modes.
(yes, the sound quality is awesome to go along with that fantastic picture quality)

My SGCD remote does not change any
of my equipment or TV. What is incredibly bothersome is the fact that every remote in the room changes the SGCD. My Sony TV remote, my Cambridge Audio 851C CD player, Cambridge Audio 851N streamer, Cambridge Audio BD752 Blu-ray player, Sony Blu-ray player, etc. all change the SGCD. I change tracks on my CD player and the SGCD volume goes up or down depending on the last used SGCD function used on the PS Audio remote. Non of the other devices are affected by the various remotes. Only the SGCD gets changed by all the others. Any way to get around this?

Shoot, this is very frustrating. Sadly there isn’t much that can be done aside from blocking the IR receiver on the GDAC which will of course stop any remote functionality with the GDAC.

Do you have the SGCD and the cd player located far enough apart that you could block the remote signal (by using your hand, or even another remote) from reaching the SGCD?

I had this problem. It was easily remedied by replacing the culprit with a nice new 65" curved Samsung. Problem solved. And as it is between two Magnepans, I feel the curved nature of said repair has helped in the room acoustics. Yup, yes I do.
Hard to get thru the day without a good justification.

2 Likes

All audio units are in the same audio stand. I try to block using my hand with the TV for example, but the remotes are very efficient and it is next to impossible even to block. I guess walking up to the wall mounted TV and standing right in front of it may work but that really negates the whole purpose of the remote. As for the other audio gear, it is pretty much impossible to do. I just have to wonder why the PS Audio SGCD accepts commands from 5 different remotes from varied manufacturers.

Because, sadly, other manufactures do not respect the code distributions and do not mind stepping on a relatively small company. :frowning:

1 Like