Should PS Audio make a subwoofer?

Now that PSA is making speakers and Paul M is a strong proponent of subs might it make sense for PSA to bring their own subs to market? A friend opined that since REL subs exist and are often recommended then it would not make sense. I think that subs styled to complement the FR series of speakers would be cool, as would a REL/PSA collaboration on such subs.

1 Like

Both Paul and Chris have mentioned that subwoofers are on their to do list.

1 Like

Interesting idea….

For me a huge downside of REL subs is missing EQ. There PSA could improve.

1 Like

If the sub settings could be on an app, that would be great. I could adjust the subs from my listening position. I would buy it. I have 2 REL S/510’s which I like , but not getting up to adjust them.

1 Like

IMHO they should first finish what they started. They talked and promised a full line of FR speakers. Currently they delivered the first two of what I believe was quoted to be 6 (3 in the FR family and another 3 geared more at the Sprout audience). In addition there are lots of sub manufacturers out there, many of them darn good (Paul has praised REL subs many times over), and more importantly they claim you don’t need a sub for the FR 30 or FR 20. So why a sub now then??? Finish the speaker lines you promised before taking on another product line.

2 Likes

That is the problem I have. As being disabled now, its a pain (literally) its a case of trusting the dealer who set them up a few months ago now, to make any slight alterations, now they are run in

Many SVS models can be adjusted by remote control.

FYI.

2 Likes

Yes. I’m picky. Want a REL with a remote.

1 Like

SVS subs are wonderful. Their smartphone app controls volume level, upper crossover frequency (low pass filter), crossover slope, polarity, phase, equalizer, and room gain compensation. Plus, they sound great.

2 Likes

Paul has also said there would be powered versions so…. Maybe even more.

It really feels like that is the one thing REL is missing, at least with the t/x series.
But The REL PSA combo is just so good, that I don’t mind having to get up to make micro adjustments every now and then.

I somehow missed recalling that. Imagine subs whose design complements that of the FR series. What if a small FR 5 or 10 could sit atop a matching sub? Or use 1 or 2 subs in addition to the FRs but with a uniform design aesthetic.

1 Like

Both Paul and Chris have mentioned that subwoofers are on their to do list.

What I would like to be on the list ahead of the subwoofer is making a stand mount speaker that produces a respectable amount of bass. And ahead of that, shipping the AirLens, debugging the DSD MKII, and redesigning the P12 (which probably only happens after a P20 and P15 redesign).

But a subwoofer – especially a super high-end FR30 kind of subwoofer? No thanks. I will spend that money on better speakers or components.

1 Like

It’s never good to spread one’s self too thin. There’s simply no reason for PSA to do a sub at this time, IMO

1 Like

Don’t get you. Why not? Chris will handle that. And he is handling that. He’s a genius.

1 Like

My development priorities on the speakers is to finish out the aspen line and we are doing a bookshelf with good low frequency extension (for what it is). We are calling that model the aspen FR5.

7 Likes

Hey Chris, just throwing this out there… how about a sound bar for the masses who will never pony up for the Aspens…Hmmmmm

Well, I will be working on some much less expensive speakers to accompany our sprout integrated amplifier, though they will be more of a conventional bookshelf speaker form factor to maximize the performance per dollar.

2 Likes

Gee, how does Elac feel about that? :wink: