Shunyata NR cables for DSD DAC?

I‘m about to add a separate power supply for the analog board of my DSD. Which means adding another power cable to my system.
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience in using the Shunyata NR (noise reduction) line (V1 or V2) with the DSD? Either for the internal power supply or for the separate digital and analog board.
Where would an NR (theoretically) be best applied? Any other comments, ideas, recommendations? Thanks!

I have no experience with the DSD but I can report that even a DAC like my Mola Mola Tambaqui responds significantly to power cables. Currently, I use a Delta NR v2 but have also tried the Belden BAV power cord.

In my system, I preferred the Shunyata but the BAV cord was really good for 1/7th of the cost.

3 Likes

Thanks! Do you think your preference for the Shunyata is related to the noise reduction capability - or other factors?

1 Like

That’s a good question. It might be a synergy thing. My Focals are fairly forward-sounding in the midrange. My experience is that the Delta NR v2 seems more refined, whereas the Belden was big/bold/deep but also more forward in the midrange. Neither solution is bad. The difference isn’t subtle in my setup, but I can’t say one is clearly better than the other, just different.

Note - I also run the Denali 6000 V2 power conditioner, Alpha V2 on my amp and Delta V2 on my preamp, Sigma v2 on the power distributor.

Speaker cable is Iconoclast SPTPC, interconnects are Kimber Select and Iconoclast 4x4 XLRs.

2 Likes

I started with a Delta NR and moved up to the Sigma and felt it was a lot better for the DAC then the Delta. Eventually I purchased ungodly expensive power cables and they are better still. Be careful you could end up like me.

3 Likes

For many of us, it’s too late, we’ve already fallen into your rabbit hole. There’s no getting out. I see a lot of AQ Dragon HC being discussed. Pretty soon the power cord will cost more than the DAC. But seriously, maybe the Shunyata’s has gotten a lot better like the new line of AQ’s. I had the Shunyata Anaconda power cord and the Black Mamba also and still do. The problem I have with Shunyata’s was they are very detailed and transparent with a lot of brightness, but they tend to lean out the sound a bit. I don’t know if that’s still the case. If I had to choose between the newer AQ’s and Shunyata’s, it would be the AQ’s. That’s just my feeling, and of course Stealth, if I had the money to toss around.

2 Likes

The two cables, power and signal for my Grimm MU1 cost more than the Grimm MU1. I won’t even count the Inakustik Ethernet cable between it and the EtherREGEN.

3 Likes

I have been very pleased with the sound quality from use of the Shunyata Delta v2 NR with my DSD DAC. The v2 version is reportedly a significant improvement over the v1, but I’ve never used the v1 in my system.

What I especially like about the Delta v2 NR is its ability to sound smooth and clear without harshness. Some power cables that sound smooth seem to reduce transparency and liveliness at the same time. In contrast, the Delta v2 sounds smooth and refined while also sounding dynamic, lively, and real.

Like ChrisMag above, I also prefer the Delta v2 to the BAV cable in my system.

4 Likes

I’ve got 2 of both, the Delta V1’s and V2’s. There’s a sound signature difference in my opinion. I prefer the V2.

I use my V1’s for a CD player and a JC3 Jr. phono stage. I gave my Venom NR’s to a friend for his Schiit stack. He seems happy.

2 Likes

Chris, I’m interested in your thoughts on how they’re different. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve a complex digital active system that uses three Directstreams, a couple of P10s, some BHKs etc. - it’s a 240V system and a digital front-end with a Stellar P3 (the two channel system needs about a dozen power cables).

I bought three Delta V1s so that I had enough to try them in various places. They sounded totally different to the AC5s and killed the attack that the system had, so, they’re no longer used for the P10s, the crossover, the dacs or the amps (all these use AC5s). I relegated one Delta V1 to feed the Stellar P3 and another from the P3 to my Melco server so the Delta V1s are in places that don’t take the life out of the system. Use with caution (this could explain why the V2 is reputedly livelier than the V1).

1 Like