Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

MControl on a tablet playing content from a NAS and MinimServer. For me, this is only a fallback system as I have an Aurender X100L which inputs via usb and doesn’t generally suffer from all these problems.

Maybe not much of an issue with classical. I listen to a lot of Jazz and Rock and I like to skip around sometimes and listen to different tracks from different albums (usually from 44k to 96k and back - never DSD). Sometimes I’ll listen to an album from start to finish but not that often. That’s one of the reasons I don’t listen to records much anymore (or CD’s for that matter). In my case I’m using the conductor app and can set the delay to 1 or 2 sec but that just delays the fade in by 1 or 2 sec. Really not that big a deal and I can always go back to Redcloud -but I’d rather listen to Snowmass and live with the minor inconvenience.

1 Like

That all does sound frustrating. I’ve got no delays set in my playback chain and yet have yet to experience the fade in fade out. Hope you all find a workable solution as SM is just lovely.

I nearly always listen to either random or shuffle. Rarely do I listen to the order on the album, and hardly ever to classical though I don’t think it’s related, and my content varies from 44.1/16 to 192/24 all PCM though. I even have a bunch of low rate MP3 gasp that have benefited tremendously!

I’ve run SM with Roon by itself and mostly Roon with HQPe with and without upsampling. 192kHz PCM max limited by my I2S card.

1 Like

Thanks Ted

Not new, the last, which has been discontinued, to 3.6.2.

Agreed - well put

Does anyone know why some show 3.6 and some 3.6.2 for their bridge version?

Don’t give people who have a problem with the fade in any grief. It’s perfectly understandable. Some of them may be able to get around it with changing some obscure options, but not all, and it sucks to not have a problem, then to get a problem with new code that doesn’t help you in any way.

On the other hand no-one has lost anything - if the fade in is too much of an issue Redcloud is still there. I don’t like having put anyone in the position to have to make such a choice, but I’m not perfect and I’m afraid there will always be annoyances in any software I (and almost anyone else) works on. I hope that on the average people feel that things get better.

19 Likes

With the new performance Snowmass gives I’ve decided it’s time to upgrade my speakers to help better take advantage of the improved potential sound quality Snowmass has. Upgrading my Monitor Audio Gold 50’s to the newest flagship bookshelfs Monitor Audio has; the Platinum PL100 II’s.

2 Likes

Oh yes…those annoying critters.

1 Like

panostar reports this configuration results in fade-ins even though there is no mix of sample rates or formats involved. To me, this appears to point to the playback software as doing some sort of processing, reset, etc. between tracks which is invoking the fade. Does anyone know what this could be?

I have fortunately not experienced the problem. As a classical listener, fade-ins would be highly annoying to me, not that they would not be annoying for other genre listeners as well.

There’s a foobar2000 Pregap DSP v1.0.2 plugin (https://foobar.hyv.fi/?changes=foo_dsp_pregap) that may help some if nothing else works. I don’t have access to my system at the moment to test it.

2 Likes

Alright dammit, I just ordered one.
Will I hear a difference betwen it and a Stellar GCD with Maggie 1.7is?

2 Likes

As I explained in an earlier response, the fade-ins are not happening between tracks. Gapless playback there is working fine. The fade-in is on the very first track of a set added to the playlist.

1 Like

@tedsmith please, do not blame yourself.

I perfectly get your idea to emphasize the fade-in time to not miss the event on the tests, and thereafter forget it.

Sxxt happens! You and PS Audio team will find a way to suite everybody needs.

Besides, all the work you had for the last years developing all this… :clap:

2 Likes

And many thanks for the Foobar plugin. :+1:

If I get the fade in issue with SM on DSj, I’ll try it.

Uh, yes!

What a post Ted. Don’t want to sound too admiring or sing your praise too much (not needed anyway). But let me tell you your professional integrity and the way you go about things are just incredible and do not go unnoticed here. What a practical forward thinking dude.

Thanks for the constant updates, the problem solving, but also for the openness and the simple yet dedicated way you deal with each of us. It’s great.

6 Likes

Thanks Ted really not that big of a deal - the work around is pretty easy. I can always create a playlist with the same sampling rate if it gets on my nerves. It never happens if I stay with the same album or sampling rate. Really enjoying the update - thanks again…

1 Like

83 in Florida today, although we are going to get cold this weekend with highs ONLY in the low 70s.