Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

Ooh - Sweater Weather! : )

I purchased this morning as well. A Sr at a Jr price was too good to pass up given the praise for Snowmass.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I’m sorry I did not get it completely correct.

I would bet on it (and you did - congratulations). But please share your findings with us.

All I can say is you better be sitting down when you give it the first listen!

That should be a huge upgrade, congrats and enjoy your improving system! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks! I got great pricing on a pair of store demo PL100 II’s. I just couldn’t say no. :blush: I should have them setup this weekend.

No. You are not the only one with the need of unplugging the I2s cable.
I have the same problem.

The potential downside for me with fade is not during listening, but rather in a sound recording mode after the DAC, where music could be cut off.

Honestly ted - I look for one thing - which is sound quality. The pops didn’t bother me as it sounded like I was dropping the needle. The fade in doesn’t bother me either as I listen to albums. And when I do get it - well it doesn’t bother me either as again it is usually just on a single song of many. But that’s me.

1 Like

Thanx Ted! Always looking out for us!
I added the Pregap DSP to foobar and can’t get it to work. I started a new thread here at PS Audio to help others. I also started a thread at Hydrogen for the same.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

HI All,
I’ve been reading this thread for a while now & I can’t seem to see the latest info as to when this upgrade will be available for us DSJnr users?
Cheers
Matt in the beautiful Adelaide Hills

Matt - See this thread: https://forum.psaudio.com/t/snowmass-ds-junior/7766

1 Like

Will this update be deployed via the built in updater on the DS at some point? I don’t have a SD writer for my Mac.

If not, it’s off to Best Buy tomorrow.

Thanks, Alan.

Thanks…looking forward to downloading it soon…next week hopefully.

I’m late to the Snowmass party - or later than usual for me - but I can only echo what others have said here. Thank you, Ted and Paul and the PS Audio team for another fantastic update. I initially had some hesitation, playing the DS with my DMP. I wasn’t sure everything I was hearing all sounded as great as I was hoping. After a bit I had a thought and decided to upgrade the FW to the DMP. All I can say is, if anyone else is still using FW 1.94 on the DMP and using Snowmass - do the DMP upgrade! The old DMP FW and Snowmass do not do well together. :grin: Once I had 3.10 on the DMP all that I read here afterward rang true.

Great work, Ted.

…actually, I do have one observation that I’m not sure was mentioned so far. Has anyone else felt that vocals seem ever so slightly set back compared to Redcloud?

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s the same thing, but in general I perceive a (uniformly) deeper sound stage, especially, say, on full orchestra and more minimally miced music.

1 Like

There is a built in updater for the Bridge which as a network connection, but perhaps confusingly, there isn’t for the rest of the DS or DS Jr. You’ll need a FAT formatted SD card.

There is a comment on here that they sound more forward funnily enough. It seems that depending on setup and settling time people are getting subtly different results or at least different subjective observations. Speaker adjustment seems to allow some fine tuning.

Thanks Ted. Surprisingly my MacBook Pro actually has an SD slot that I wasn’t aware of. Successfully upgraded and all I can say is wow! Remarkable difference on the midrange vocals. Sarah McLachlan never sounded so good.

This reaffirms my decision to go with the DirectStream
and the FPGA approach. The unit will always be getting better.

Thanks for all the hard work on Snowmass Ted. Looks like it’s a hit!