Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

Shuffle play just brought up some Daft Punk… OMG Snowmass kicks hard!

2 Likes

@seegs108 - yeah, since I can’t see anything of value from 8ft away and art is not detailed I have done away with the display. I can just hit the volume on remote one short time to see the artwork if I am feeling creative and all warm inside…

2 Likes

Exactly, plus Ted mentions the DAC should sound better with it off. Less electrical noise to contaminate the audio signal.

1 Like

The low volume level lock still does not retain its setting after a reboot.

@seegs108 - Since I’m using 2017 iPad w/ Roon, don’t see the point of the DAC screen during listening. The remote will turn the screen on when you exercise the unit.

With software like Roon and JRiver it’s a win-win as you can see all the pertinent information and album artwork on a separate device.

2 Likes

Is Snowmass work finding its way into TSS?

@Tedsmith - I was hearing pops on 75% of the tracks as indicated and was my 1st issue. Speed-Racer said to place the Roon SW SRC to PCM so I changed the SRC from DSD (DSD64) to MAX PCM rate. I’m going over the album that had the most pronounced pops (Anette Askvik; liberty) and so far zero pops after about 5 songs. Weird, cause I have been listening to DSD (DSD64) for the last month and never heard a single pop with redcloud. Why do you think that is Ted?

Try disabling Roon upsampling and listen to Ted’s upsampling.

3 Likes

@brett66 - OK, just disabled it…
OK, after 10 tracks, no pops and the music sounds great
OK, after 20 tracks, no pops and the music sounds great

Edit: after disabling Roon: SRC (Sample Rate Conversion), no pops in 4 days

4 Likes

Doing some more listening and I’ve noticed that with louder passages the DAC does not introduce the same artifacts that I’ve heard in the past. I think Ted mentioned this was going to be an improvement over previous builds. I’m listening to Chris Stapleton’s Either Way and he does this yell type singing for a little bit and Snowmass plows through it no problem. From memory this part would almost congeal into a loud noise mess with Redcloud. Snowmass delineates Stapleton’s singing with apparent ease where Redcould faltered just a bit.

Never use updampling in Roon. The PS DS does that internally.

3 Likes

How do you turn off the screen?

Press dim on the remote.

1 Like

Install went brilliantly, up and running in absolutely no time with zero issues. Right off the bat playing Cranberries or Tori Amos PCM (all recordings played via Roon with no upsampling and local files), decay and reverb are just insane, I’ve never heard anything like it from my system. Backgrounds seem slightly darker as well which I’m sure helps explain what I’m hearing with piano and acoustic instruments. Played Bowie’s Reality DSD64 rip which always gives me pops, they seem to be gone for the most part. Im not sure if it’s the level of the recording or what, but it still seems to be pushing limits somewhere. Its hard to explain, but it’s like it’s driven right up to clipping on things like the kick drum in parts for a split second then back down in level (Bring me the disco king seems to be worst offender). Not a big deal as I only have a few DSD rips that have such a high level and this is the first one of them I’ve tried. I’m fairly positive it’s in the recording, but wanted to note it here anyways. All in all, fantastic sounding release, excited to play with it this weekend. Thanks @Paul , @tedsmith and team!

2 Likes

I downloaded snow mass and installed it without any problems. Playing ‘what a Wonderful Trio” cd. My stars, the piano, drums, and bass the subtle brushes on the symbols!!! Soundstage is deeper and higher. More attack on notes. Clearer but not clinical. Best sound yet!! Well of to update dmp firmware and start listening to Roon nucleus through the bridge. Fantastic update!!!

1 Like

I had to hunt for the remote. I never use it. The DIM worked.

No problem.

1 Like

Me too, After setting it to max pcm from dsd in Roon, I’m not hearing as many pops as I had set it to dsd.

1 Like

Testing Snowmass, the excitement of Paul and his team was not in vain, the UP is incredible!

The background details are more evident, the most striking plans, I felt gain in resolution, which for me is a shock, how can !!!

Ted Smith and the PS Audio team are to be congratulated, they just handed us a new DAC !!!

1 Like