Snowmass V1sounds better than Snowmass V2

Just a thought.

Could this entire perceived problem be related to the volume setting to 50%?

This seems to be an effect of the latest Bridge update in combination with Snowmass - anytime the device is rebooted the volume setting is changed to 50.

I found that the Bridge update with redcloud did not change the volume. Next, after install Snowmass 3.0.0 the volume is still 100 (my default). Then after reboot the volume is suddenly unexpectedly changed to 50%.

If the volume is suddenly changed to 50% from what a user has normally set (likely much higher) then of course SNR suffers and any noise from PIC or display or Bridge is going to be more noticeable.

Could it be that some users did not notice this change in volume setting and consequently attribute poor sound quality to the Snowmass release when it is entirely due to a poor volume setting. Lack of 3 D etc. could be just a sub-optimal volume setting?

1 Like

An interesting thought, but our colleagues are pretty sophisticated. I doubt there is a substantial number who do not check the volume of the DAC prior to playback and adjust it as appropriate.

There are also those who are running direct into an amplifier who will necessarily be adjusting volume the same way on V1 and V2.

2 Likes

I think the only “bug” that might persist by going back to V1 is the issue where the DSD comes out from sleep randomly. Though I don’t know if that’s Bridge II related. I never put mine into sleep mode, I just keep it on with the screen off at all times.

To me V1 sounds a little bit cleaner, transparent and open. It’s not huge but it’s there to my ears. If anyone wants V1, you can download it here but heed Ted’s warning above that PS Audio is not responsible for any bugs or issues you might have running an older/obsolete firmware:

1 Like

Two DS boxes, both volumes set to 98, dimmer lowest setting and screen switched off when playing music (my preferred settings—possibly just attributed to my psychosis), BHK preamp, 4 x BHK300s i.e. 2 pairs: switching between DS boxes (using the same I2S cable) DS1-V1. & DS2-V2.

I prefer DS1-V1 in a heartbeat. Playing a wide range of music, different genres . The music just flows with V1. Just musically better!

But like Ted said, it could be a different scenario with a different setup, the mains supply, grounding, location, ears, brain, etc… That said, I will be V1 until the next release is released. I am currently beta testing the next O/S just now but don’t tell Ted I said anything - he doesn’t know I have his missing code here :grin:

11 Likes

Great test scenario, Dirk. Thanks

Is Snowmass V1 the original beta version?

V1 is the first official released version. It was subsequently withdrawn because of a few bugs. V2 addressed these issues.

Thanks Elk,I wasn’t sure.

V1 beta re-installed directly back from V2. No install issues.

More detailed, better air, wider soundstage, improved dynamics. Skyrim Atmospheres (from Elder Scrolls V OST) and Dionysus (Dead Can Dance), sounds like 5.1 from 2 channel.

And (ding dong), the “scritch” is dead!

1 Like

Wow, I am starting to wonder why I cannot revert directly from Snowmass v2 to v1. I am going to try Snowmass v2 > Redcloud > Snowmass v1.

I thought I recall reading Ted recommended go to Yale then SM

1 Like

If an install doesn’t take, you can go to any OS except the one you are running or the one you want to run. Going between different versions of the same OS may or may not work depending on the exact form of the configuration files. But going to some other OS and back should work fine. (There are version number compares to decide if you already have updated that can confuse things.) (And a lot of people do use Yale as their “go to/from” OS.)

2 Likes

Just tried rolling back from Snowmass v2 to Yale and no luck. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Guess I will just have to muddle through with v2 (just kidding, it’s awesome).

Just reverted back to SM v1 from SM v2, no issues, loaded fine, then did a reboot. Initial impressions are v1 is slightly less constrained allowing the music to flow more freely. Overall tonal balance seems better as well, with a fuller and more robust bottom end. These characteristics are more in line with my initial impressions, when I first upgraded to the beta version of SM. Then shortly afterwards I loaded V2, assuming it would sound the same, although it never really did, even with more hrs on it. All listening is from the DMP version 3.10, connected directly to the BHK 250.

@bootzilla - Tried reformatting SD card?

@Gary_M - My feelings as well. Upon first load, v1 sounded great (though I left it playing over night before I listened because it was late). v2 sounds good but just doesn’t quite reach where v1 does. And v1 does this immediately, no runtime needed. These feelings that v1 is preferred have persisted through several days, different times of day and especially different moods.

Pink Faun 2.16 > I2S > DS. Roon > HQPe NOS.

1 Like

Hmm. Interesting thread. Basically I left mine at the original beta which became official V1. Sounded great then. Still does. Have no bridge - and use a pre. But when I didn’t use a pre - I checked mydigital volume :slight_smile: (for you Elk. Lol).

Well done! Many Kudos! :tada: :confetti_ball:

Has anyone compared Snowmass Beta to Snowmass Version1 ? I have not updated from Beta Version and I’m curious if that would make any type of difference as V2 to V1 does.

SM beta is the same as SM V1.

Paul confirmed the beta and V1 are the exact same thing a few weeks ago.