So what will this mean for the DMP?

I wonder if PS Audio has already purchased all the transports they think they will ever need:

Farewell
It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers’ suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

Oppo Digital: Farewell

A surprising announcement. Given their reputation and popularity I would expect them to be profitable.

Thought it was an April Fool’s joke at first. Unfortunate, since Oppo makes decent stuff. That said, someone will fill the void with a suitable product.

Streaming and digital downloads is killing discs. I have two OPPO players and almost never use them.

Are you sure about that? It was reported in the media recently that CD + vinyl sales have turned the tide and now overtaken digital download sales.

1 Like

Yes, see here.

This is a curious development. Why wouldn’t they seek a buyer? They are promising to support existing products, but what incentive to they have to do so?

PSA should buy them

More likely to be bought out by one of the “big boys” who also have production in the same country if at all.

My hunch is they want to concentrate on selling mobile phones. By continuing to support existing customers is just good for their brand and business.

They sell phones in Asia, not much in North America or Europe

This is about music. I don’t see anything that speaks to video.

jaiello

They are an OEM producer for the transport used not only in their players but by many other companies such as PS.

Not sure what you are referring to. Can you explain?

Oppos play music, too. Many are even purchased for this purpose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, of course! They make special models with upgraded audio components. I am not sure what the video only comment was about.

I too hope PSA has sufficient stock from Oppo otherwise they should place an order soon. But this is certainly a surprising news. Is there another OEM manufacturer that makes decent 4K UHD players? Does Philips makes them too?

Farewell (Oppo web site)

Damn it. I really liked the fact that I can skip straight to the movie with my older OPPO DVD player rather than being stuck waiting for 10 year old trailers to play using my Panasonic Blu-Ray. I was waiting until summer to go 4K. I’ll call in the morning and see what they have left :frowning:

1 Like

Crutchfield and AA both have them in stock.

1 Like