So what will this mean for the DMP?

This may be new for Esoteric but there are many other manufacturers who’ve been making these kinds of devices for a long time including - dCS, Aurender, Lumin, and many others. The issue that most of them have is they have their own control app and UX. If someone is hooked on Roon, they want the Roon app, not Esoteric’s or Aurender’s. You don’t need to spend $11K for a network transport. All you need is a Roon server which can easily be had for $1K or less, a Roon lifetime subscription for $500 and either a Roon Ready DAC or a RAAT interface like a microRendu for $500.

If you guys make a 4k Blu Ray, how about an HDMI input that would take the signal in from a streamer but give the improved video/audio processing? Similar to to the oppo 203/205 feature. Most streamers have lost their audio outputs forcing us to send Hdmi to tv first and take optical out from there… loss in fidelity.

We haven’t any interest in video. We’re two channel specific and loving it. Besides, we disable the video engine because it sounds bad.

Oppo closing creates a void Paul. Who better to make a quality replacement than PS Audio :grinning:.

You have my vote for disc spinners! I have a lot of CD and SACD and really am not excited about using a server. I’ve tried it, but just didn’t get the “fever”. For those suggesting PS Audio get in the video business, I say be careful what you wish for. It could dilute things a little too much. PS Audio is still growing, but if they get too big they could lose that customer friendly touch (nothing against you Paul, it’s just the nature of growth). I would think if PS Audio got into an arrangement to sell and/or build the Oppo drives they certainly could sell it to someone interested in making a Blu-Ray/4K player.

2 Likes

Paul,if the video engine is disabled…what then exactly does pure audio mode do,or not do,when enabled/disabled?

Seems UDP-205s are selling like crazy and many places are out of stock and will remain so.

I’m glad I have one. The Redbook/SACD playback isn’t as great as the DSD . . . but it’s pretty good, I’ve recommended this as a great starter source for a good sounding system. The 105D didn’t impress me like this one does. It’s a shame Oppo has opted out.

The Denon players are rather nice too.

Yes, I have the previous Denon flagship* DVD-A1UDCI with the 32 bit DAC and processing in my second system now. I’ve liked it a lot the four years I’ve had it. . . but the UDP-205 is better for both video and audio, and cost one third the list price. . .

*https://usa.denon.com/us/product/refurbishedprocat/blurayplayersref/dvda1udci

Yes. I think PS Audio need to concentrate resources to prioritise maturing the existing product line-up before branching out to other stuff.

It turns on and off the video mode but it’s off by default. It was there only as an internal usage thing for the engineers to see what was going on internally and never supposed to be revealed to the public. Clever users discovered it.

Worth checking whether or not video is disabled. Some DMP shipped with the video enabled. End-user reports also of some firmware upgrade paths turning video to enabled, don’t know if that was confirmed by PS Audio.

Thanks guys…

No definitive answers here, but at least a more full-bodied response: https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/eulogy-oppo-digital-bluray-player-manufacturer/

Great suggestion and I think many others would also agree. SACD never really turned my crank and I’m pretty sure years from now I’ll still use accual disks for playback,

Does anyone know which model Oppo player uses the same Transport mechanism as the DMP?

I believe this is the correct replacement drive. The replacement laser mechanisms and complete drives are available on Ali-Baba. Been meaning to order one “just in case,” but the whole Coronavirus thing sort of damped my enthusiasm.

1 Like

Thank you! Pretty cheap insurance.

Could someone confirm that this is in fact the correct transport mechanism for the DMP.

1 Like

A 10 dollar drive (retail) in a $6000.00 transport? Seems a bit lopsided in favor of profit margin…