So what will this mean for the DMP?

No doubt! WTF!

We have to blame Oppo for their choice of this particular drive as it is there unit that the DMP is based on. A Sonic Frontiers SFT 1 uses a Philip’s CDM 12 drive which too can be had for a very low price. The Oppo unit plays SACD and CD and came with the licensing that made it possible to create a transport that can output DSD to a PS Audio DAC.

See this thread.

1 Like

It is also the same drive MSB uses, unmodified, in their mega-buck transports.

(The DMP and the MSB transports use the same drive.)

1 Like

For what it’s worth, this drive looks nothing like the one we used in DMP from Oppo. Maybe somehow it’s similar? Or, perhaps, this is the core guts? The unit we bought was fully enclosed and came from Japan. We tried to purchase the drive directly from the Japanese, who refused to sell to us, but if memory serves correctly at the time it was a lot closer to $150 from them.

Also, don’t be too shocked at what some parts within a unit cost.

When we built PWT we used an off-the-shelf DVD ROM drive that I believe we paid $30 for. We lost money building that unit at the end of the day.

2 Likes

That seems to make a little more sense Paul…but I wish my DMP was less finicky…

2 Likes

It must be hard sometimes that you have to struggle with decisions hanging on a few dozen dollars just because of the price calculation model that multiplies it to the ceiling even though your company doesn’t have to put any effort into a slightly more expensive part.

Core guts. According to Peanut-Butter’s thread, it’s the laser that goes and those can be replaced, as well, if one is blessed with manual dexterity and patience.

The thread has a step-by-step how to.

1 Like

My DMP has been performing perfectly up to now. However, if something goes wrong, are there enough transport mechanisms to repair it? Are there replacement units out there the I can buy as insurance?

1 Like

There are no more drive units, unfortunately. We purchased the remaining inventory from Oppo but those have long since gone.

Paul. Are you saying that PS Audio no longer has replacement drives for the DMP in stock?

3 Likes

I know, it’s ridiculous. Paul said there would be enough mechanisms left in stock to repair DPM transports…!

6 Likes

That is terrible news for a player that is only a couple of years old. The new one is not going to have the touch screen and the cover art display. Sad situation.

6 Likes

Yes, he did !
Very disappointing indeed.

5 Likes

I think they did not get as many spares as it sounded like they had and than too many decided to buy them to have as a backup. This is what caused the shortage. Those who have the drives and really did not need them are keeping someone who actually needs one to get their DMP going from doing so.

1 Like

Has it been discussed what optical drive will be in the new player? I know the new marantz drives in their reference line are very good and so are the esoteric drives.

Pray that my DMP will behave for the years to come! Else maybe my OPPO 203 could act as a backup? But that means no more watching 4K and Blu-ray.

It is an unfortunate situation. No one knew in advance Oppo would drop its highly successful line of players.

By the way, to what did the video community switch to for excellent, high bank for the buck players?

Oppo missed the mark on their 4K players and the reviews really hurt them. Panasonic ended up producing a better 4K player with better color and gradient handling.

1 Like

Yes - that’s true and outwith PSA’s control but, Paul said there wouldn’t be a problem because they had ceased production of the DMP but with reserve stocks of mechanisms to support owners of the DMP. Just as Sixpack said, why sell mechanisms to owners who haven’t any issues with their DMP. I have seen DMP’s up for sale with spare mechs, etc…

Rega in the UK: they archive ‘two’ laser mechanisms for each Reference player. I own two Rega Isis players and both are roughly 10 years old and still on the original mechs - with 2 spare mechs per player archived at Rega HQ… This was put in place by Rega so that owners of expensive players would have peace of mind should lasers cease production.

3 Likes