Speaker suggestion for large room

Good point.
I assume with a room that size you need two subs?

Every room needs at least two subs in my experience and many others. It’s less about output and more about them working together to smooth the room modes where rather specific frequencies will bunch up and create a peak or the opposite and create a null. Each sub does do less work though which allows each to work more closely in it’s lower distortion sweet spot.

It’s very important the subs be identical or the smoothing won’t be nearly as effective.

Think of bass as water sloshing around in the bath tub. Two subs make the wave heights more even and smooth.

I’m a fan of Rythmik subs. I think they are huge value but not the most aesthetically pleasing. Mine are rather hidden so I don’t care but it may be important in your undoubtedly beautiful place with 25’ of windows! REL are another popular albeit more spendy brand from UK.

Easy to hide my subs so looks arent an issue.
How do I pick the size. Seems to be a few choices in the Rythmik line which seems to be well regarded.

I would contact them describe your room. Let them know if for music only or mixed use with HT.

I prefer sealed subs to go with my sealed stand mount speakers but in a larger space they recommend a ported design.

Great advice.
Will contact them tomorrow.
Thanks

Looks like they have a pretty good advice page on their website for picking the right sub

With Rythmik the sweet spot in the line-up is one of the F-12 models which gives you speaker and line level inputs and a three band Eq. If you add a second one to the cart it should give you a 10% discount off the pair and unless Brian has changed things shipping was free to the 48 states. They are not unattractive at all I own a pair in both the Matte Black and a pair in the Piano Black and of course the Piano Black looks classier but if you are going to have them hidden get the cheaper finish. What exactly are you planning on running these speakers with as in the grand scheme of things your room size is not that large. The Family Room in my Florida house is 22’x26’x10’ with an opening into the Kitchen/Breakfast room and I have filled that space easily with many different speakers including Spatials. With all of them I have used a pair of Rythmik F12G’s. If this is for music only or mostly music avoid ported subs.

Will be using for music only.
I will be using Nord Acoustics NC500 Dual Mono Amplifier with 2 x Hypex NCore with a RME adi-2 dac going directly into the Amp. Very clean sound.
Originally thought I was going to use a pair of Revel F208 speakers and then started getting nervous about sounding too thin in that room.

I owned the Nord for about three years and it’s a very good amp. Yes with that combo it would to me sound thin with the SI op amps but may be passable with the Sparkos which I preferred after trying both. So you got plenty of power for just about anything. Even the great looking Wharfedale 85th Anniversary Lintons will play great in that room and at only $1500 including the stands and free shipping will save you a boat load of money. Bought a pair for my daughter but broke them in for a month in our room your size and they filled it easily augmented by the Rythmiks. The F-12 sealed subs are more than enough for that room and you will feel them in other parts of the house.

Thanks for the suggestion.
How do you run the subs without a pre amp and only having the four posts on the back of the nord?

You can run both the speakers and the subs off the same binding posts you just use bananas on one set of cables and spades on the others. Doesn’t the RME have preouts? I’ve got several friends that have them but never looked behind one.

O.K. just looked at the back of the RME and it has both so then you can run the subs line level off of the amps or easier use the XLR’s for the Nord and the RCA’s for the Rythmik. That how I use the pair in the Family room as that gear is in an A/V cabinet and harder to get to so easier to run the RCA’s that an extra set of speaker cables.

Actually the rme has unbalanced line outputs.
Is that sufficient for the subs?

I should say it has balanced and unbalanced but that is just to go into the amp is it not?

Actually it will work fine and it is what Brian and his people with Rythmik will recommend as they have much less service problems that with people trying to use the speaker level connections incorrectly and shorting out the sub amps and it is a trickier process with Class D amps but easily achieved.

Good to know

One pair for each though the RCA’s will be a 6db level lower so you will have to level adjust for the difference.

Now that i am understanding the subs the floorstanders will be the big choice to get right.

I have a great vinyl system built around PS Audio equipment which I love. Not sure why but wanted a whole new approach on this system

Nothing wrong with that. The system in my dedicated rooms have vinyl and digital and the FR systems are digital only and those are the ones the wife or kids use if they are over. If you’re just using subs in a system for the first time hooking them up line level using the RCA’s will be easier to adjust than with the speaker level connections. In your room as long as you have the subs even a larger bookshelf will work as long as you don’t get crazy with the volume. That’s why I said the big Wharfedale’s would work as I tried it. Same size speaker as the big Harbeth 40.2.