Speaker suggestion for large room

And did you feel the sound with the Wharfedales was good. I definitely will want some volume.

You could comfortably get mid 90ā€™s db but if you want the ability to have shear effortless volume and ease of placement then the Spatialā€™s would be where I would look having owned the M3 Triode Master. You can choose between the models with or without the built in powered subs. And depending on your floor type you can replace the spike feet with Herbieā€™s gliders and move them forward and backward to the wall behind them with relative ease.

I would like to try the NX-Treme, but I think that you will need subs with them. So budget about 4 to 6 grand more.

Ill say one thing. Those NX-Treme"s would make a statement.

I have a room not quite as wide or high, but about 40 feet deep with glass all down one side. I have Ohm Walsh 4s and two REL T5 subs. They fill the whole space with sound. I rarely sit in a proper listening position.

Steve

Sryeager
The Ohm look intriguing.
How would you describe the sound to other speakers you have heard, not imaging but sound.
Thanks

Large room means large space to position Maggies, like .7ā€™s.

I havenā€™t really heard other high end speakers. Donā€™t really hang out in audiophile circles. They clobber the last and largest passive speaker bang and olufsen made. Given that the whole front side of our house is open to look out on water and nothing but window, and the arrangement of ā€œourā€ living room doesnā€™t really allow the triangular listen position unless I move a chair to the middle of the room, I gave up on going for imaging. I like dynamics. The Ohm Walsh 4s deliver. Alone, the bass seemed a little boomey. But I had the little REL subs I used with my prior speakers, and just a little sub really tightened the base. I am impressed with how the speakers donā€™t really have a bass or bright treble sound. It really depends on the recording. They can make things jump with talking heads, or reveal all kinds of harmonics in Dave Rawlings guitar on Gillian Welch albums.

The living room end of the front room is about 15 feet wide. The side that is not one wall with windows open up to a hallway and a kitchen at the far end. Each sub is right in the front wall corner. Because of ā€œour ā€œ furniture, each Ohm Walsh 4 is about 18 inches out from each corner. I still hear the full range and bass at the dining table in the far corner along the window wall.

I bought the speakers used off Craigslist, but was able to verify by calling Ohm Walsh the they had been refurbished. I almost exclusively listen to vinyl with a superb Sound-Smith cartridge through a Musical Surroundings phono stage and vintage B&K pre and amp. I add the last bit because I really donā€™t have any idea how comparatively resolving my system is or isnā€™t . Iā€™m not in the rarefied air of most PS Audio forum posters (but I did buy a used P5 regenerator because our electricity is awful). I am certainly happy, and donā€™t have a desire to search for better speakers and imaging. The music seem to sound the wherever you are in the room. The whole wall is sound.

Look for a used pair to see what you think. They are different. I got mine for $1,100.

Steve

Thanks for info.

Devialet Phantom Gold fill a room with sound like nothing else and are true hifi, whereas other products in the range probably are not. It would certainly be a new approach. People love them or hate them. I was impressed by them, not expecting to be. They would take no space, best put about 8 feet up near the room corners. Although the product name has not changed, they have been improved substantially since first released, especially the tweeter.

I have a 30x18x8 ft room. A set of MBL 120s filled them up with bass down around 32 hz. They have the same mid range and tweeter as the 70k MBL 101s. You can get about 85 percent of the 101s for around 10k to 14k used.