Stellar DAC/Pre Home Theater switching

I have posted my review of the Dac / Pre. I am bringing an elaboration of what i consider a major problem. This may also serve as a warning to any others that use the HT setting.

Switching from the Coax (music server) to the HT (analog 1) causes a horrendous thump. This shows up particularly with the HSU 15" sub i use via RCA outputs. I am sure that the woofers and amps in our ML Expression are not happy either.

The original input/volume setting of 76 has been changed, as has my whole HT system, to allow a lower setting to be used at 61. When switching from listening to music to the HT, the thump is so bad i think i may blow out a window. I am on a slab, and it resonates and scared the crap out of our dog, and my wife. She literally jumped out of her seat (Calif…thought it was the start of an earthquake). At 76 it was really awful, at 61 it still pounds our walls and is bad.

I am using the mute button prior to making the switch, but it is a bad design “feature”.

It does not make the same thump switching back to the coax.

Thank you

Loren

I’ve only used analog 1 xlr with external dac and usb input… didn’t notice any thump switching between them but I’m not using HT bypass.

I did notice a thump when muting/unmuting. It’s the only annoying thing I noticed about the gain cell dac. It’s otherwise very polished and free of little annoyances I’ve noticed on some other dacs like clicking when switching from pcm to dsd etc

FWIW here are a couple of files that have audio. Please ignore the video. THere was NO signal playing prior to the switching. Please dont play this on your big system. I had trouble recording the size and impact on my phone, so please only turn up the volume to hear the thumping gradually. There is resonance after the thumps, that is my house shaking.

Switching from Coax 6 at 0 volume to analog 1 at vol 61 again, no signal. Sub is connected via RCA, main speakers via XLR.

Note that the clicking is my mains speakers coming up as they were at zero signal before the recordings. the continuous thump is (me pressing the analog button), and it sends that sound through my system.

Again, sorry about the poor quality, it may take a couple tries to here this. it is more obvious when displaying waveforms with a video editor. This was made with Microsoft Movie Maker via Win 10…sorry…

You may notice that in the second recording, the thump gets quieter with each press of the analog 1 input button…dunno…