Stellar P3 regenerator first impressions *UPDATED *

What Paul and Darren have said is, just power your components with it, if you have a Large System. However, you can also run a pair of M700’s regenerated through it at the same time. If you’re paranoid/careful, plug your amps into the switchable outlets and set them on Filtered (which has a separate 15A fuse, I think it is, vs. the 2A for the Regen portion).

Most of us are never drawing more than 80 or 100 watts.

You always want to make changes in the switchable outlet with everything OFF. Similarly, do not power up the SP3 with anything connected to it switched on - do it in sequence. My dual-mono (in one box) 250w/side nCores blew the 2A fuse when I installed the SP3, as I had unintentionally left it switched on. Inrush current spikes very high relative to operating current.

Variations on this question continually come up. My guess is that the vast majority of us could run our systems fully regenerated with an SP3 - bearing in mind it has 6 outlets. I am not suggesting splitting anything or plugging power strips into it.

Darren’s task in designing this was to scale down the P20. That’s essentially what it is. Just the thing for my system: above mentioned amps, which are class D and so very efficient when running, like the M700’s - plus a DSJ, DMP, Auralic Aries G1, and VTL TL2.5 with (7) tubes in it.

2 Likes

Today, I took delivery of my Stella Power Plant 3 mains regenerator. Sure my system sounds better, but that isn’t why I bought it.

I have a Hegel H390 amplifier. It is brilliant in every way bar one…it hums…oh my dear goodness…does it hum! Not just a little, but rather like a tone-deaf kazoo player seeking attention after a little too much sugar.

I have some excellent mains conditioners, and I have tried a number of solutions, with sticking the amplifier inside a cupboard the most effective. The hum was still audible during quite passages unfortunately.

I plugged my amplifier in to my regenerator…total silence, blessed silence. The lights in the house didn’t flicker like they are accustomed to do either.

I am now pleased to be listening to the music and not what is producing it.

Thanks Paul, such an excellent product.

4 Likes

Interesting thread, I am really trying to decide on a P3 for my SGCD and Emotiva mono’s, but I’m just not sure… Everything sounds pretty good as is, but it would be interesting to see if there is a difference.

Those Wharfedale Jade 3’s are really beautiful speakers. Wharfedale is great, I recently switched to the EVO 4.2 and love them.

1 Like

Either there is something wrong with your Hegel or your house electrics. Have you plugged in the Hegel at your dealer or at someone else’s house? The Hegel integrated’s have been winning Product of the Year awards on a regular basis. They should not buzz. If your electrics are that bad I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night and would worry for any computers, servers etc. Does your TV work, or just flicker repeatedly?

2 Likes

Don’t fix what ain’t broke is my motto.

2 Likes

My 2 Hegel H20 power amplifiers stopped humming with a P15 regenerator. Also, an affordable Isotek EVO3 Syncro UNI prevents DC riding on our 230 V AC power* from reaching the amplifiers.

*The Syncro balances the sine wave (makes it symmetrical).

I run c-j as well and they (ct5 and premier 140) benefit enormously from a p10. Perhaps a secondhand p10 is your sweetspot, gives you a lot more headroom than the SP3. The p10 transformed my stereo while retaining all the good things. The c-j’s are also sensitive to vibrations so you could also invest in a audiorack and proper feet (in my case Solidsteel, Shun Mook and IsoAcoustics).

1 Like

I do like Wharfdale speakers. My first ever venture into “hifi” was as a teen with a pair of used Wharfdale Active Diamond speakers and a portable CD Walkman from Sony. They were just great, to my teen ears at least.

I struggled to get a loan of the mains regenerator here in the UK. I did want to audition some before I bought anything. But after waiting several months for a dealer to have a demonstration model, I decided just to buy one.

I went for PS Audio because having watched Paul’s YouTube channel, I got a sense his business is sharing his passion for the sheer enjoyment of music.

I’m listening to a piece from Arvo Part’s Tabula Rasa. The haunting staccato has been brought to life in a way that I have never experienced before. The performance is the utter embodiment of impassioned tears of absolutely loss, something that I had not realised until my recent upgrade, but now entirely apparent.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more.

Regarding the hum from your Hegel amp you probably had a bit of DC voltage offset in your AC mains. I had the same issue with my amps and installed DC blocking devices (home grown) and worked great. My newer amps have toroidal transformers that are molded in epoxy and are totally acoustically quiet so no DC blockers required.

I know that this is a year out and tommorrow P/S audio is offering a $700.00 cut in price for the month of may 2020 on this product.I am thinking of using this solely on the same equipment that you are using with the exception of the phono stage.Question are you satisfied with it’s performance and are you still using it with the front end gear from the previous year?

@jhead4 I’m fully satisfied with the Stellar P3 regenerator. I can’t swear to the “massive improvements” in sound quality, but I think I’d go out on a limb and say the sound quality is more consistently great. Also, the SP3 has done a bang up job in protecting my source components from electrical storms and power anomalies. I also got mine at a reduced price and feel like at $1700 this is good value.

thanks for the reply one more question if you don’t mind are you using the Hi-current mode with a power amp?if so is it hi powered and what’s your take on it ?

I’m using all outlets in regenerate mode feeding source components only. I have a dedicated 20A circuit to feed my two amps directly.

1 Like

How do you decide on which set of plugs to use? Since I leave my amp, preamp, and phono preamp on, would I do the same with the P3? I am consider a purchase because I think this would make my system sound good at any time of day.

Leave the P3 on all the time! They’re designed for that and will always be dishing out their best when left on, warmed up and ready to go.

How much “burn in” time? Does the sound change?

In my case, the improvement after replacing my Shunyata MC-12 with the Stellar P3 was immediate and far from subtle. I can’t honestly say I noticed any difference after the first hour of use and anytime thereafter. I also use a High Fidelity Cables MC1 Pro power conditioner on the outlet the Stellar P3 is connected to and that added additional enhancements to sound staging and further reduced obnoxious sibilance in recordings.

I traded my old PP300 (with multiwave) for a new P3 a couple of years ago. I never really noticed a huge improvement with it until I used my thickest, badass-est power cable to connect it to the wall: an old Virtual Dynamics power cord that had been in storage.

1 Like

I have been considering this unit since it was introduced and this opportunity is even more tempting. But I have questions. Please help me out.

1. Unlike most here(I think) my system is strictly headphone. Will a P3 really benefit me.
  2. I will be running 4 units: Streamer(20W), DSD Sr(30W), a tube amp(150W)and a second amp of unknown consumption. The amps will not be used at the same time and the 2nd amp will be in standby while the big amp is in use. Does this give me enough headroom?
  3. Two of the units(streamer and tube amp) have separate PSUs converting AC to DC. Will the P3 benefit this equipment?
  4. Since the P3 is regenerating the AC coming in from the wall outlet does it make any sense to pay for an upgraded AC cable for the P3.
  5. Currently everything is plugged into a Tripp Lite isolater. Should I keep the Tripp Lite between the outlet and the P3 or send it on to the next owner.

Appreciate any help you can give.