Stellar P3 regenerator first impressions *UPDATED *

1. Unlike most here(I think) my system is strictly headphone. Will a P3 really benefit me. Yes, I believe so. I just moved a P10 into a headphone system that had a very nice balanced isolation transformer unit in place previously. Profound improvement.
  2. I will be running 4 units: Streamer(20W), DSD Sr(30W), a tube amp(150W)and a second amp of unknown consumption. The amps will not be used at the same time and the 2nd amp will be in standby while the big amp is in use. Does this give me enough headroom? Iā€™m not an expert on this aspect of these regenerators but I think youā€™ll have just enough headroom.
  3. Two of the units(streamer and tube amp) have separate PSUs converting AC to DC. Will the P3 benefit this equipment? Yes I believe you will see significant benefit. In two systems I have all tube preamps and amps that have massive power supplies and the preamp and amps have tube voltage regulation and the amps have separate voltage rectification for both input and output sections. . . and they sound considerably better plugged into the regenerators I have.
  4. Since the P3 is regenerating the AC coming in from the wall outlet does it make any sense to pay for an upgraded AC cable for the P3.Oh yes. I think youā€™ll find near universal confirmation on this forum that an upgraded power cable will be a great thing.
  5. Currently everything is plugged into a Tripp Lite isolater. Should I keep the Tripp Lite between the outlet and the P3 or send it on to the next owner. I have a few Tripp Lite isolators in storage I used to use before I got my first regenerator. I have never found them to improve sound with a regenerator, in fact they seem to impact the sound adversely.
1 Like

I agreeā€¦regarding TrippLite Isolatorā€¦Similarly I had a TrippLite LC1800 line conditioner and voltage stabilizer ā€¦it did absolutely nothing for sound qualityā€¦for me it it now serves protecting my washing machine :joy:

3 Likes

Whole new meaning to ā€œcleanā€ clothes! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yep never saw that one before!!! Fun call on thatā€¦

I needed a good laugh about nowā€¦thanks for the laugh!!!

Hi, I have some questions about DIM function,

How does the DIM button on the remote control work?

1. Can you shut off the light forthe IDLE MODE button (Stand-by button) or change light level of it? Can you change different light levels?

2. When LED for Output, Meta Wave, CleanWave is dimmed do they light up for a brief moment when you change any functions?

3. How do you turn on all function LEDā€™s and Idle Mode LED again? Through push on the remote control button DIM or set SPP set it in Idle Mode or completely shut it off with switch on the backside?

4. The LED on the right side do they stick out a little bit or flush mounted? So you can easily set a dim sticker on them?

1/ no
2/ yes
3/ you push the ON button on the remote
4/ they are almost flat. you can tape over them but the dim button does the same thing

So when P3 is up and running, you dim your LEDā€™s with DIM button on the remote and can you direct afterwords turn them on with ON button on the remote?
So you donā€™t have to put P3 in IDLE MODE or something?

You canā€™t turn PS Audio Logo LED Idle Button off so how bright is it you would say in a dark room?

Yes, you can turn the leds on/off with the remote. i do it because the green led is quite bright and distracting. The dark blue logo is not distracting to me.

Thank you yann.pigeaire for your fast response to my questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Iā€™m thinking of buying one for my PreAmp, RIAA and CD. Iā€™m thinking of using Supra LoRad SPC with Furutech contacts or similar.
What do you for power cables are you using and what equipment have you connected?

I have found the P3 to be very revealing of differences in power cables/connectors. I have a BHK preamp, Luxman D-08u SACD player, and RCM Sensor Prelude phono connected to mine. Iā€™ve tried DH Labs Red Wave, Harmonic Technology AC10, PS Audio AC12, Furutech FP-SO22N with two different connectors, and Furutech FP-TCS31 with FI-28 connectors. All sound diffferent, you can even hear a difference between two FP-SO22N cords with different connectors. My favorite is the Furutech FP-TCS31/FI-28 cord. At some point Iā€™ll have to try the Furutech DPS-4.1.

I use a generic cable going into the SP3 and an Audioquest going out to my amp. I figured the power going in will get regenerated so I prefer to put the good cable on the output. Others have a different opinion but Iā€™ve not been interested in testing that.

Thank you for answers Photon46 and yann.pigeaire regarding cable choices you made.

Photon48 I use two Furutech FP-S032N 12 AWG Power Cables I like them very much did you get yours from VH Audio

Check out the new Iconoclast BAV power cables!

I just got the new SP3 yesterday, I installed it into my system last night and did prelim audition. I plugs my front end source components to it using regen mode: DAC Sr, LUMIN U1 mini, Matrix/LPS 1.2, EtherRegen, CJ preamp. My initial impression is positive: Blacker background, less noise, better instrument separation, less digital sibilance BUT:

1. music is less dynamic, I had to crank up volume higher.
  2. overall SQ is smoother but a bit more on the dull side.

Does it need burn in and how long?
I use the remote to turn off the display, how do I turn it back on?

Thanks for any comments and input.

@hpfish
What Ethernet cable are you using?

I would experiment with plugging the LPS1.2 in the wall.

I use Cable Matter Ethernet cable from EtherRegen to my LUMIN.

@hpfish
I mentioned trying the LPS1.2 at the wall since my Sbooster Mk2 does not like the SP3.

I had an LPS v1 and it did not like my dectet and preferred the wall.

What power cables?

Thanks cxp, I will try to plug the lp 1.2 to Power wedge conditioner as it did before.
I use Shunyata Diamondback from wall to SP3, and Shunyata Python Alpha helix from preamp and from DS Sr., and Shunyata Diamondback from LUMIN. I use generic cable for ErherRegen and Lp 1.2.

Gives it a good week. Itā€™ll turn around in that time. Theyā€™re always a bit dull at first.