Stellar Phono Pre Proto Pics

Oops, yeah - sorry I forgot you drove over for Axpona! Had it in my head you were local to the show.

This kind of impedance setting is really great convenience!

As I know some much more expensive op amp based designs, I’d be interested Darren in your opinion on reasons for/against op/discrete…is it just a matter of budget?

Still works! ; ) It does look like one, doesn’t it? Should have plugged in something fancier for the photo. Actually I do have a lot of those grey ones from various Sony products over the years, which I’ve always liked for their flexibility and fit. But I think they’re mostly 18 gauge, this one is heavier than that. I should put some braided sleeving on it and gold plate the ends. Then it would be a $1k cord ; )

1 Like

It’s awesome, it’s done, and it’s going to Production. Looking like May for the release of the Stellar Pre.

3 Likes

Sorry to jump backwards, what is that remote in the middle? DMP? Looks handy with DAC and power plant on one

That’s the multifunction remote that preceeded the silver one. May have come with the DMP, don’t recall.

1 Like

That’s the remote I use, prefer it to the silver as it controls useful functions of the P10 as well.

I’m using the NuWave Phono Converter now and am very happy with it. I’ll stick with that as I’'m done buying things for a while and the sound of the balanced output with my Decware ZTPRE is excellent. Also the component size fits in my system very well. But I’m happy for Stellar owners that more components are appearing in the line.

1 Like

I have the NPC as well - they are two very different units, the Converter being an ADC as well, and the Stellar Pre being beyond the average Phono stage, including the NPC. I’d even argued that it should be in another line, as I think it punches above its class. But I guess you could say that’s part of the Stellar concept.

My VTL linestage has the (3)AX-7 phono option - and that’s what I prefer until the Stellar comes out.

1 Like

I’m glad you like it better. The NPC is suiting my needs admirably (I’m not using it as an ADC) and if I can in the future I’ll consider the Stellar and the more upgraded version of the Decware ZP3 I had for years (which may have been a bit better than the NPC). But for the foreseeable future I’m not able to consider upgrades.

Completely understood. The NPC really is quite good, especially balanced into a tubed linestage, as you’re using it. No slouch at all. Great for rips as well. It’s quieter than the tubed pre in the VTL (it’s an OLD VTL), but is lacking the warmth. One of the cool things about the Stellar is that it manages to sound both clean and warm. Not to mention more dynamic and open.

The middle remote came with the PWT as I recall.

1 Like

I don’t miss “warmth” with the NPC. “Warm” is not what my system needs, but rather accuracy, which the NPC delivers well. (I use a Decware ZROCK2 which when I have an accurate source allows me to dial in just the right tonal balance, which is what “warmth” often provided as an ingredient before).

Seems the Stellar will be. . . .stellar. Good news.

I reckon it did, though I’ve never owned one. I might also have gotten it with the old P3.

Yeah, sorry - not trying to pick on your choice of pre. After all, I have one : ). And “Warm” is a pretty fuzzy term that doesn’t really say what I mean. If I run the NPC into the linestage, it is arguably cleaner and more accurate than the VTL’s phono section. I just like the sound of the VTL’s section better.

Sure. And I might too. . . especially if I didn’t have the Decware ZROCK2. I’ve never heard the VTL.

For me now, with the NPC, the ZTPRE and the ZROCK2 and my beloved amplifiers I am getting sound that wows me. I’m enjoying vinyl again without reservations. Life is good.

I’ve heard nothing but raves about the Decware stuff from owners. It would certainly be on the shortlist when this thing dies : )

I’ve been using Decware products for more than 20 years now, which surprises me. . . time passes quickly and it doesn’t seem that long. I definitely recommend anyone checking them out. The last few years Decware design developments have moved the line even further in sound quality for value in my opinion; definitely check them out if you find yourself in the market. I’m so glad I took a leap of faith years ago. To me their products combine the best sonic aspects of tube and solid state.

But this has little to do with the stellar phono pre, so peace out.

Awesome! Have you decided on pricing?

Beef are you setting prices, now? :):joy:

reminds me of the last time I had a window seat flying into Chicago