Stellar phono preamp and power cords

I have been exploring power cords for my new phono preamp since reading in the owners manual that it responds well to upgrades in that area. I have been using the Pangea AC-14 SE MK II in my system for some time. I tried one of them and got positive results. I decided to try the upgraded XL cable instead and was shocked (no pun intended) by the improvement. More transparency and refinement made the additional outlay well worth it. Bought 3 so far.

1 Like

Hi rkindel…

Running my front ends with Pangea AC-14 SE MK II, my amp
and P15 the AC 9SE MkIIs outstanding results…

Wondering what the XL would be like, I purchased an XL
and while it is supposed to be an upgraded version…I found
that the XL was darker less revealing and dynamic than the
SE MkIIs…

Interesting findings…thanks for sharing…

Best wishes

1 Like

If you are looking for value on source component power cords I recommend the Audioquest NRG-Z3! I had both the Pangea AC-14 SE MKII and XL and I found the NRG-Z3 to sound substantially better than both of the Pangea cables.

1 Like

This is very interesting. I run AudioQuest Midnight speaker cables but I have no experience with their power cables. Did a search for reviews on the NRG Z3 but didn’t find much. Looks like they run a bit more in price but in the same ball park. I understand how filtering out noise can lower the noise floor and improve sound quality but I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around how upgrading materials, and design, can have such a profound influence over such a variety of aspects of the sound. It makes sense for cables that actually carry a sound signal, but power? I need to do some research on this subject for sure.

“Research” on power cords is a rabbit hole of conflicting opinions. You can find engineers and scientists with equally advanced degrees and experience that have diametrically differing opinions about the whole subject. There seems to be limited hard science that explains why power cords can so obviously affect the sound coming out of our components. Companies like Shunyata, Furutech, Nanotech, Acoustic Revive, Mad Scientist Audio, etc. use all manner of exotic EMI/RFI absorbing additives, vibration damping, and other materials to good effect without there being any consensus about why these construction techniques and materials have the effects they demonstrate.

1 Like

My thinking precisely…more likely they wants your cha ching $$$$$.

There are so many “success stories” around power cables
it is amazing…then how a new “king of the hill” came along
and ousted the previous “king of the hill” and on and on…

It would be an ear opener if one could afford multi kilo-buck
power cables to audition at home…and hear if they really do
sound $$$$$ better than what we have in the 1st place.

I would love to try a $$$$$ power cable to compare with
my Pangea MkIIs …my Pangeas hold back nothing…
but sure would be nice to run such a comparison…
Somehow, …just my own .00002 biased opine; My
Pangea MkIIs will not be embarrassed …
Understandably I could quite mistaken…oh well…

Just my .00002

Best wishes y’all

1 Like

I have never been able to hear much difference between interconnects and speaker cables. Any difference only after living with them for a while then switching back. Nothing earth shattering. No so for me with power cords. I can hear differences within seconds. Obvious differences. It makes no sense. I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t hear it with my own ears.

2 Likes

In my case, the degree to which I have heard differences among all types of cables has been extremely dependent on the particular component and the system’s degree of resolution abilities. Decades ago when “audiophile cables” started becoming a hot topic I ordered my first set of “audiophile” interconnects and speaker cables. I had an entry level system: Adcom preamp/power amp separates, a Denon DCD-1560 cd player, Magnepan MGC speakers, and no power conditioning. I was rather disappointed at how little every cable purchase, be it power, interconnect, or speaker cable, contributed to improved sound. As the years went by and my budget got bigger and my systems improved, the differences between cables of all kinds became more and more apparent. However, even with higher resolution capabilities, different components show varying degrees of response to a cable change. It’s a fallacy to think that one’s cable experience with a single system or component is a universally applicable conclusion.

3 Likes

The AQ line has come pretty far with its latest products. The NRG-Z3 is a bargain. Nick at the Music Room can get you a deal for under $150 on a 1m cable. When I swapped out the Pangea cables for the NRG-Z3 there was a noticeable performance increase well worth the difference in price which isn’t much. The Music Room will give you 60 days to try them. If they don’t work for you send them back. 100% money back. Worth a try.

1 Like

The Cable Co. has a large lending library if you are interested in trying out the high $ cords. The Pangea’s are a good low dollar piece along with the Belden BAV cords.

2 Likes

I forgot about The Music Room. Another good place to try before you buy.

2 Likes

Thanks Baldy…but am pretty much set for time being…

Best wishes

Pangea for me as well, although I am running an AudioQuest NRG Thunder 20 amp cord from mains to my Niagara 5000, and it sound amazing. I may play with a couple new source power cables (NRG Z3) to see how they fair against the Pangea AC-14 SE MKII when used with a Niagara.

2 Likes

Great idea Orosie…my biased .00002 is that the MKIIs will more
than hold their own against NRG Z3…

rkindel the op found the Pangea XL yielded more details than the MKIIs.

Well it so happens that I do have a AC14 XL MkII and gave it a
turn in my W4S Stage 2 preamo…the results im my system is
that the Pangea XL gives a wonderful warm richer fuller sq
but at the expense of quick light details while the MKII is very
quick to show off the delicate and vibrant changes in strings,
in 3D space whereas the XL gives you greater warmth…

So there it is with my comparo AC 14SE MkII vs XL…both
are wonderful cables…

Orosie can’t wait for you to do your comparo Pangea AC 14SE MkII
vs NRG Z3.

Wish you had a Pangea AC9SE MkII to compare with the NRG Thunder 20 amp cord…again my .00002 is that the Pangea
will more than hold their own vs NRG Thunder 20 amp cord.

Thanks Orosie looking forward to your review.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Don’t sleep on the Belden BAV from Blue Jeans. GREAT budget cable!

3 Likes